Airfix Gloster Javelin

books

books, he uses books

Blimey John I thought they'd been outlawed now we all have infinite library shelves in Googley :)

I love books, but they will never catch on you know

I do like the beginnings of the cans, I reckon you will have nailed it with that, indenting drying Milliput

lovely stuff

The airbrake box looks rather "elite" there too, very nice

still here and enjoying the ride

:thumbsup:

b

Cheers Bill!

Aye mate, there are some of us that still use em ya know! Would hate the blokes from that movie "Fahrenheit 541" to come knocking on the door and burning them all though so keep it under your hat. I don't want to be accused of been a dissident! :undecided::D

Loving this, it is so elegant the way you are doing the rear fuselage.

Martin

Ahh Martin, Elegant! That word crops up again! Can't help Visualizing me making me models poncing about like Rudolf Nureyev spinning round and leaping about the den after gluing every part to the model! Not a pretty image! :analintruder::elephant::rofl:

• Like 2

Ahh Martin, Elegant! That word crops up again! Can't help Visualizing me making me models poncing about like Rudolf Nureyev spinning round and leaping about the den after gluing every part to the model! Not a pretty image! :analintruder::elephant::rofl:

You mean I'm the......nobody else does....Ah, so thats why it takes me so long to finish a model!!! Great tip, maybe my builds will go quicker and I'll stop banging my head on the ceiling in future.

Nice, hmmm... ele..nice work on the cans! I tried your tip of using tin cans for the first time the other night and made 2 very thin undercarriage doors :) . What do you use to cut the shapes out, I found that stearing scissors around a curve was quite tricky and making 2 exactly the same was a trial?

Duncan Nureyev B

Edited by Duncan B
  • Like 1

Duncan B, on 23 Feb 2013 - 09:27, said:

You mean I'm the......nobody else does....Ah, so thats why it takes me so long to finish a model!!! Great tip, maybe my builds will go quicker and I'll stop banging my head on the ceiling in future.

Nice, hmmm... ele..nice work on the cans! I tried your tip of using tin cans for the first time the other night and made 2 very thin undercarriage doors :) . What do you use to cut the shapes out, I found that stearing scissors around a curve was quite tricky and making 2 exactly the same was a trial?

Duncan Nureyev B

:lol: Think nothing of it my good man! All us elegant blokes must stick together!

The trick to cutting the drinks can is not to try to cut it out like you would say cut a shape from paper. I mark the ali out using the original as a pattern, IF it its accurate that is. Once marked out i cut the part out leaving plenty round the the outline made with a knife.

I cut little areas out rather than try to cut the whole thing as you'll find as you have that it's difficult. Use the one you have cut to cut the second. I hold the two together and sand the edges to get the final shape done, This way i get two pretty near identical shapes. I don't know if this helps you or not but that's how i do it! If you get deformed edges they are easy to put right by putting the part on a hard flat smooth surface and burnishing with the handle of a knife.

Well after donning me tights and doing a few limbering up exercise's I've done a bit more! Modeling that is, not prancing round the den! :elephant::lol:

In the last installment i said i may have to use plan "B" if things didn't go right but as it turns out my first plan worked!

In the last pics i posted you saw that i'd made some rings and glued them to the jet tubes. This was for a couple of reasons. They added stability to the tubes by strengthening them, they give something else for the Miliput to hang on to and they were going to be a guide for the shaping of the Miliput and getting all those perforations in the edge of the burners something like aligned! First of though i wrapped two layers of plastic card round the pipes. The first layer thicker than the second. This also helped getting them getting aligned with each other. In the pic you'll see the first wrap of plasticard.

burners5_zps029eb40e.jpg

A second wrap of thin plastic card followed. As this was setting i made a couple of little tools. One from a cocktail stick for the large perforations, with plasticard for the smaller ones. I rolled some Milliput and put it round the pipes then shaped it roughly using the back of a steel rule. Pretty easy to do by just rolling the Milliput on the Rule then smoothing to final shape with a wet finger. After the Milliput had stiffened a little i made the perforations. I'm pretty well chuffed how they turned out! ^_^

I'll give them some time to fully set then they can be tidied up a bit. I was dying to place them in the model but i don't want to knacker up the job!!

bcans2_zps448277a9.jpg

Heer's a pic of them compared to the original kit items. They look different scales!

bcans_zps335def1a.jpg

John

• Like 4

Just caught up with this thread. Absolutely Awesome!! This is a master class on modelling and a lesson in what can be done instead of using resin AM.

Can't wait to see this completed.

Christof

• Like 1

You probably know this already, but the exhausts should not be parallell but canted inwards slightly (i.e. each exhast be in line with its air intake) when fitted to the fuselage,

• Like 1

What I want to know is how does Nobby manage to make everything look so even and regular. If I tried his Milliput trick, adding details by pressing an object into the putty, I'd get all the way around and then find I didn't have quite enough room to get the last depression in...and leaving it out leaves a notable gap. Come on, Nobby, tell us how you do it...please??? Was convoluted maths involved - 2 times pi times the radius divided by the length of the widget used to make the impressions? This is doing my head in! :banghead:

• Like 2

Thanks guys for the input!

I've not really done too much just a lately with the Jav as I've been putting a little more into the Sabre. This was going to be a simple build with some etch added to tart it up a bit but that idea went out of the window! I have now decided the little Matchbox Sabre deserved just a little more as checking with plans the outline ain't too bad in outline.

The etch has been re assigned for the Academy Sabre i have in the stash as i really now want to play about with loads of fiddly bits of plastic! I know it takes longer but that's the way i want to do it!! :mental: Should have some pics of the Jav up soon though!

Thanks for the tips on tin bashing.

Those cans look awesome, I just don't have the patience or skill to be able to attempt anything like that, I just assemble the kits!

Duncan B

Keep plugging away Duncan and i'm sure you'll manage it! I think patience is learned as well, as years ago, when i was modeling i didn't seem to have as much as i have now.

Just caught up with this thread. Absolutely Awesome!! This is a master class on modelling and a lesson in what can be done instead of using resin AM.

Can't wait to see this completed.

Christof

I'm like the next bloke Christof, i like the etch and resin but i do get a buzz from creating stuff from scratch even if it isn't totally accurate. Anyway, some of the resin and etch isn't that accurate if you really examine it close i think folks just believe it is. It does save time like but is it any better than having a go your self!

You probably know this already, but the exhausts should not be parallell but canted inwards slightly (i.e. each exhast be in line with its air intake) when fitted to the fuselage,

I do indeed Sten my friend but whether i decide to incorporate that i don't know yet as it really isn't that noticeable i don't think. The main thing was to get away from the skinny back end look. It just looked so wrong!

What I want to know is how does Nobby manage to make everything look so even and regular. If I tried his Milliput trick, adding details by pressing an object into the putty, I'd get all the way around and then find I didn't have quite enough room to get the last depression in...and leaving it out leaves a notable gap. Come on, Nobby, tell us how you do it...please??? Was convoluted maths involved - 2 times pi times the radius divided by the length of the widget used to make the impressions? This is doing my head in! :banghead:

Maths? I know what Pi is, but the only Pi I'm interested in nowadays is the pork and meat and potato variety! :Tasty::eat:

Tell you what i did though, i got some blu tac and did a couple of dummy runs with that wrapped around the cans first then used the Milliput. At the end of the day you can always pull it of if it isn't right and have another bash at it! I'm sorry if that doesn't sound very scientific, but that's how i do things! It might upset the purist's but that's what seems to work for me! ^_^

John

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey up!

No, i haven't gone of modelling people and you don't get rid of this old dog so easy!

I'll be honest here. I got a bit bogged down with the jav so thought rather than than push on and may be go off in a slightly different direction. As you saw earlier, i started doing a Sabre for a group build on FB so i decided to concentrate on that, get it done, and then hopefully that would recharge the batteries for the Jav build. Well it's worked and now that i've just about finished the Sabre i feel fully rejuvenated!

I have done a couple of things on the Jav though! Only small bits granted but it's something!

I added some scoops top and bottom to the burners. I also scribed some detail on the sides and put some rivet detail there that'll show better one it gets a coat of paint on.

burnint-picsay_zps0a0291af.jpg

Also did some work to the rear of the cockpit bulk. There was an horrible gap/step that needed sorting so ive covered it with a bit of Ali can with some strips of Solartrim. It's not accurate but better than it was before. Most of the seat covers it anyway but i had to do something.

bulk-picsay_zps2398a4a8.jpg

Sorry guys if you feel a bit let down but i didn't forget you and all the comments and encouragement that you have given!

John

• Like 3

Don't be silly about letting us down, builds like this are always going to take time and you have to work on them as and when you feel up to it.

Martin