Open letter to Model Aeroplane International

Selwyn

Dear Model Aeroplane International.

I picked up your May 2012 Edition at my local Paper shop this morning.

I was particularly attracted to your magazine especially because of the lovely coloured corner on the cover that announced "Tornado IDS By RJ Caruana."

As I am a "fan of the Fin bomber" so to speak, I quickly hurried home and opened up the the appropriate page. "SHOCK HORROR! I have been mistaken all these years! I always thought the Tornado IDS (Interdictor strike) was a short stubby aircraft that carries different varieties of nasty Bombs, but no, I have found out that IDS means that they have pointy noses, carry missiles and are flown by fighter squadrons! And I always thought that was the F2/3 ADV Air defence variant............!

Or perhaps they have just forgot to properly proof read the magazine yet again.

I paid £4.20 for this magazine. I expect better editorial standards for that price. the odd typo well OK, but completly mis-identifying an aircraft type?

Selwyn

Should have flicked through it on the shelf, get over it. Jesus, if thats all you have to whinge about.

Adam

I'm with Selwyn on this one, there is a distinct difference between the two types, magazines aren't a cheap investment these days...yes there are bigger and more important things going on in the world, but the rot starts with the small stuff and ends in nothing mattering.

These are magazines from people claiming to be knowledgeable on aircraft, and to make such a stupid mistake is pretty bad, and makes you wonder what other goofs are made that we don't pick up and take forward as gospel.

Cheers

Col'

Dear Model Aeroplane International.

I picked up your May 2012 Edition at my local Paper shop this morning.

I was particularly attracted to your magazine especially because of the lovely coloured corner on the cover that announced "Tornado IDS By RJ Caruana."

As I am a "fan of the Fin bomber" so to speak, I quickly hurried home and opened up the the appropriate page. "SHOCK HORROR! I have been mistaken all these years! I always thought the Tornado IDS (Interdictor strike) was a short stubby aircraft that carries different varieties of nasty Bombs, but no, I have found out that IDS means that they have pointy noses, carry missiles and are flown by fighter squadrons! And I always thought that was the F2/3 ADV Air defence variant............!

Or perhaps they have just forgot to properly proof read the magazine yet again.

I paid £4.20 for this magazine. I expect better editorial standards for that price. the odd typo well OK, but completly mis-identifying an aircraft type?

Selwyn

I noticed that when i picked it up during the week - havent had chance to email the editor about it - IDS - InterDiction/Strike ie bomber - the ones they have showing - ADV Air Defence Variant or F3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. It should do what it says on the tin! If you drove miles to a car dealer because he advertised the Jaguar Automatic you wanted only to find it was a manual, wouldn't you be p*ssed?

Edited by bentwaters81tfw

Should have flicked through it on the shelf, get over it. Jesus, if thats all you have to whinge about.

Adam

Ay £4. 20 I shouldn't have to flick through it!

Selwyn

Whats up with the sarcastic replys here. Sorry but their is simply no need for them, the chap had a geniune question/discussion. If you have nothing better to say other than a smart bottom reply then dont say anything. I agree with Selwyn on this one. Magazines are not cheap, nor should they have such gross errors and simple plane identification.

Smart bottom replies huh? Gee, are we all turning American?

It wasn't smart arsed or sarcastic, would anybody on here buy a book judging by the cover? Oops!

Adam

Ps, You can find pictures of the Tornado F3 on the internet you know. Sheesh

This thread is closed on two fronts:

1) Why post an "open letter" when you can just contact the mag involved and make your feelings known?

2) Adam (Tedfellows) - yes you were being sarcastic, and that tone was continued in your second post. Not acceptable.