Heller 1/125th scale A380

Nice job Tom, looks like its a lot easier to do than the triple slotted affair on the 747

Thanks - and yes it was fairly simple really.

I did do flaps on a 744 a few years back and followed the same principle... just in triplicate!!

Very nice work with the flaps and slats Tom. It's hard to make out from the pics but does the kit show the split ailerons? It doesn't look like it from what I can see. You'd definitely see them in that scale, I think! Definitely a job for someone who likes to go to town on the detail.

Dan

Very nice work with the flaps and slats Tom. It's hard to make out from the pics but does the kit show the split ailerons? It doesn't look like it from what I can see. You'd definitely see them in that scale, I think! Definitely a job for someone who likes to go to town on the detail.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the compliment... and if I knew what split ailerons were I'd be able to give you an answer!

Can you fill me in?!

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom - sorry, I wasn't explicit in what I meant! Just outboard of the flaps on each side you see that the ailerons are marked out - it's the section just beyond the outermost flap that you have so excellently deflected. Most aircraft have a single aileron on each wing but the A380 actually has three. Take a look at the picture here:

A380 wing

The flaps in the photo are deflected, then you have a very thing sliver of wing just beyond the outer flap. The next thing you can see is the 1st aileron deflected quite far downwards. Just beyond that you can see the 2nd and 3rd ailerons which are in the same positions and deflected just a little downwards. So obviously, the aileron wouldn't have just a single line - you'd see all 3 (and possibly differentially deflected as well).

Sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs, but just if anyone doesn't know about this: ailerons are used to control the roll of an aircraft. The A380 has an active gust load alleviation system that differentially slaves the three ailerons on each side to the fly-by-wire system (i.e. each one can move independently of the others). It does this to give the smoothest ride you can imagine. If you ever fly on one, watch the ailerons during departure and arrival. At low altitude all 6 of them are 'waggling' constantly to keep the aircraft rock steady. And, speaking from experience, I can say it really does work! Most aircraft wobble a little as they get airborne and the spanwise load stabilises. Not the A380! It goes up like an elevator.

Dan

Most aircraft wobble a little as they get airborne and the spanwise load stabilises. Not the A380! It goes up like an elevator.

Dan

the first time I flew on a 747, sitting at the back, I did wonder if it was supposed to wobble about like it did.....