Heller 1/125th scale A380

Here is my entry:

S1030363.jpg

Heller's 1/125th scale kit, with Emirates decals from F-Decal. I got this set of kit and decals for Cuprar at Southern Expo - thanks mate!

I've built two of these before (house colurs and Qantas) so to make this one different I'm going to have a crack at lowering the flaps and slats... wish me luck!

Good luck everyone, this should be a great GB - there's certainly a great range of schemes to look forward to.

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

Looking forward to your build.

Can we please, have a blow by blow tutorial on the flaps and slats? Still to nervous to start carving my revell wings up at present.

Cheers

Looking forward to your build.

Can we please, have a blow by blow tutorial on the flaps and slats? Still to nervous to start carving my revell wings up at present.

Cheers

Yes no problem. I'll tackle the wings first so watch this space.

Tom

Yes no problem. I'll tackle the wings first so watch this space.

Tom

Cheers Tom,

I will be, are you following any other builds you have seen done on this big bird by the way, or going for a first scratch build with lots reference pics?

One would think it should be easier than Boeing slatted flaps, but I have not found that many Airbus models online with everthing dropped?

I'm planning my big bird with take off wing settings, easier said than done, as airliners are the toughest challenge I have faced to get right actually?

(starships are now very easy)

Cheers Tom,

I will be, are you following any other builds you have seen done on this big bird by the way, or going for a first scratch build with lots reference pics?

One would think it should be easier than Boeing slatted flaps, but I have not found that many Airbus models online with everthing dropped?

I'm planning my big bird with take off wing settings, easier said than done, as airliners are the toughest challenge I have faced to get right actually?

(starships are now very easy)

I'll be scratching using reference pictures, as I have a few books on the A380 with some decent pictures. I haven't seen it done in model form yet, or at least a 'how to', so will be going solo on this one!

I'll be going for landing config so everything will be hanging very low.

to make this one different I'm going to have a crack at lowering the flaps and slats... wish me luck!

Tom

'bout time.....!!

you dont need luck Tom - I have total faith in you

Picard - it's not that hard actually; true somethiong with triple-slotted flaps is a bit more complicated but I've done it and one or two others have as well, so be confident, research, research, research...lok at plenty of pics and anything else you can find, take your time and enjoy it.

oh...and if your going to go to the trouble of dropping flaps, you might as well do the rest of the external detail...pitot heads, gear cables, etc....

(and yes Tom...I know you....I will be checking!)

"I haven't seen it done in model form yet, or at least a 'how to', so will be going solo on this one!"

I thought that would be the case?

I had been searching on this subject since buying the kit last year, I think I have my lighting plan sorted, and have made some crude templates following the kit panel lines along with the few pics I have, along with the great advice from our friends here.

As I said, still very nervous of making that first cut, so I'm currently working on a cheap A310 kit as a test bed.

So, many congrats on being our new A380 test pilot and I wish you very good luck with the build. By the way, how big is the Heller Kit??

And how where do you house three of them???

Cheers

And how where do you house three of them???

Tom doesnt build small models....thats what everybody else wants to know

Thanks Kev1n,

Well, its mainly down to your goodself and the other wonderful folks here, with your wonderful builds that make airliners come alive rather than look like cheap shiney toys, that got me here in the first place so many thanks for infecting me.

The challenge is very,very, enjoyable indeed and the one of most rewarding genres I've every attempted.

By the way, I had a huge car crash trying to super detail some of my 380 and 747 gear with cables and stencils the other day. Now all clean again and looking forward to another go.

Pitot heads?? Forgot those?? Bugger!!

Cheers

1) many thanks for infecting me.

2)....cables and stencils.....looking forward to another go.

3) Pitot heads?? Forgot those?? Bugger!!

1) your welcome

2) take your time....stretched sprue is good, use tweezers to bend to shape and a very VERY sharp blade to cut when in place. You'll probably have to do it more than once, I usually do so be ready for some wastage.

3) well, there you are then....somebody once said "Airliners dont have things sticking out of them like military aircraft do..."

Wanna bet? There are loads of them....

I have a vague feeling, this subject has been discussed before my arrival ??

once or twice....:)

I've made a start on the wings.

Here is the wing as it comes in the kit:

S1030365.jpg

The first job was to remove the flaps. I did this with a sharp blade following the panel lines and using them to guide the cuts:

S1030367.jpg

The flaps were then put aside, ready for some attention later. The wing is quite weak without the mating surfaces of the flap, so for both strength and for aesthetics purposes I cut some thin plastic card and attached it to the rear of the wing where the flaps had been. Along the upper surface I added thin Evergreen strip to create a realistic scale thickness for the spoliers. The flaps themselves will then slot in underneath this:

S1030373.jpg

S1030372.jpg

The wing is now nice and rigid; here are the undersides:

S1030375.jpg

And the uppers:

S1030374.jpg

The next task is the flaps themselves, and creating a realistic aerofoil shape. I'll keep you posted.

Tom

Plenty of progress made on the flaps...

After they had been removed from the wing, the first job was to add strips of sprue from the spares box to create the rounded leading edge of each flap and recreate the aerofoil shape. It is important to get the sprue the same or very similar diameter as the thickness of the leading edge of the flap:

S1030376.jpg

You can see the basic aerofoil shape already, but after some filling and sanding it is much more apparent. Here are all six sections done and ready to be attached back to the wing:

S1030378.jpg

The next job was to assemble all the flap tracks, as these will need modifyng to be in the dropped position:

S1030382.jpg

The flaps were then attached to the trailing edges. I've gone for full flap (i.e. landing configuration) using reference pictures to help with the positioning. In these two pictures you can also see that I've modified and attached the inboard flap tracks. I simply cut along the hinge line, removed a thin slither of plastic with a sharp blade, and reattached the rear part at the correct angle. This was then attached the wing and flap iteslf to make a strong union:

S1030385.jpg

S1030387.jpg

I've still got the remaining flap tracks to modify, so I'll add some pictures of the process in my next update.

Tom

I've completed the process of dropping the flaps.

The trickiest part was getting the flap tracks at the correct angle each time, but with some careful measuring, cutting and sanding they haven't come out too badly:

S1030391.jpg

S1030390.jpg

I also cut and dropped the slats on the leading edges of the wing and put them at the angle seen in photo's:

S1030392.jpg

S1030389.jpg

And after a quick once over with some primer they don't look too bad:

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

A little more filling is needed here and there, but nothing too major.

The next task will be to drop the elevators on the stabilisers.

Tom