Converted Revell Victor kit

lancfan

Looks excellent what you have done, does anyone know if the Rareplanes Victor is any good

Thanks Kev, As for the Rareplanes kit- it will be a lot more work will not be as well detailed and will probably cost a lot more now being as it is a collector's piece. You may be off better seeking out a Matchbox/Revell kit.

I have been quiet here whilst busily building tanks as GB leader in one build and participant in another, this has given me time to give this model some thought as from the pictures I have of these they appear clean and white and panel lines are not generally visible but the engraved lines I applied to this model looked fine when the model was grey but in the first coat of white they stick out like a sore thumb and look awful. I have therefore decided to fill the majority of them to restore the appearance of a clean, smooth airframe.

Thanks for your comments guys.

David.

Edited by lancfan

the engraved lines I applied to this model looked fine when the model was grey but in the first coat of white they stick out like a sore thumb and look awful. I have therefore decided to fill the majority of them to restore the appearance of a clean, smooth airframe.

I guess it's very easy to overdo panel lines in 1/72 scale. Don't feel too bad about it, some manufacturers do it all the time!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Don,

It wasn't so much a case of overdoing it but doing the thing at all that caused the problem. all the pictures I have of these things show them to be largely smooth, shiny and very white and the only lines you can see are for things like the bomb doors and other major access points. I have filled the grooves before sanding these lines flush with the surface of the airframe and the model will be ready for repainting by about wednesday and work can move on from there, the Victor should hopefully be finished next weekend after which I can enjoy a little light relief break with my Anson C.19 taxi. I am still trying to collect data for the Mandator but I think I may have to go down to Hendon and examine the one there before I can get the drawings done.

David.

I used to think that engraved panel lines are the way to go universally but am having a change of mind and I am currently experimenting with an Airfix Hampden kit devoid of all surface detail bar assembly breaks and access panels using engraved lines for the breaks and layers of paint to resemble overlapped skin panels. If it works out I will use the same methods to build a short series of Hampden/Hereford models and work in that way from then on, deciding on detail according to the aircraft.

David.

Edited by lancfan

I used to think that engraved panel lines are the way to go universally but am having a change of mind and I am currently experimenting with an Airfix Hampden kit devoid of all surface detail bar assembly breaks and access panels using engraved lines for the breaks and layers of paint to resemble overlapped skin panels. If it works out I will use the same methods to build a short series of Hampden/Hereford models and work in that way from then on, deciding on detail according to the aircraft.

David.

I'd love to see that in RFI. I'd also be fascinated to read the discussions you'd generate!

"according to the aircraft" is something we forget, I think. We start to build things in the usual way or because that's how the fashion is going. Assumptions take over from observation. In fact, looking hard enough at pictures (or the real thing) to really see them, is quite a difficult thing to do. Well, for me anyway :)

i know what you mean about panel lines. i love the look of them recessed and im not a big fan of raised. but on some aircraft you really cant see them easy and smooth looks more real.

on my xm648 i did that smooth and its my best looking vulcan. my xm655 for this gb will be the same and i have often been up close and stood under her and you really cant see the panel lines even that close very well. what is noticable up close on xm655 is big rounded off rivits something ive not seen on any kit.

at the model shop i work at we sell a range of resin rivits panels and other details that are like a decal i had not seen them before till it started working there they look good but are pricey.