Airfix 1/72 Vulcan

Paul

I will be building an Airfix Vulcan as XM654 in 1970 (Dark Green / MSG over White scheme).

I've just looked in the box, which is an older boxing bought second hand, and discovered a couple of parts missing so this should be fun!

I will be building an Airfix Vulcan as XM654 in 1970 (Dark Green / MSG over White scheme).

I've just looked in the box, which is an older boxing bought second hand, and discovered a couple of parts missing so this should be fun!

Contact Airfix for replacements, or even on here someone may have a broken discarded kit they are willing to sell

Paul, tell us what the parts are as one of those here may have them in a spares box.

Being cheeky and changing the subject can I ask if you want to keep the low vis decals and the Blue Steel missile that comes with this kit, maybe we can do a swap for something in my stash?

David.

Edited by lancfan

hi there as im one of the people running this forum please accept my appologies in being unactive recently, i have just started a new job at model shop dcc supplies and been busy with my grandad falling ill in hospital since the new year.

that said i am here and will be doing all i can to compile the list of who is in this build and any rules. along with any others who are running this, that said this is my first gb and im not to sure of what i should or should not be doing.

as regards missing parts i have build 14 airfix vulcans and have many spares let me know what you need i may be able to help.

i will be building one or more vulcans for this group build. most likley a frog vulcan b1, and an airfix vulcan as either xm655 as she is today, or a b1 in silver, or a prototype. vx770 or vx777.

i may do another valiant and victor that all depends on time issues. please pm me with any questions and ill do my best to get back to you as soon as i can.

many thanks regards rob.

Hi Guys, I've just done a more complete search of the box and the only missing piece is the clear part for the bomb aiming window.

If anyone has a spare, I'd be grateful. If not I'm sure I can cur one out of a CD case.

David - PM sent re: Blue Steel

Rob - no worries, looking forward to seeing a prototype build :thumbsup:

Hi Guys, I've just done a more complete search of the box and the only missing piece is the clear part for the bomb aiming window.

If anyone has a spare, I'd be grateful. If not I'm sure I can cur one out of a CD case.

if i were you i would have ago at making one and order a spare from airfix so you can choose. depending on how long it takes to come from airfix.

regarding the prototype. i have been dreaming of making one for a few years now so looks like i better order a flight path b1 kit go buy and airfix kit get the dremel out and buy myself some new milliput.

all the best rob

Hi Paul,

The bomb aimers window is easy enough to make. I made one from clear plastic sheet and the fit ended up better than the original

Airfix part. To make life easy I had another unmade kit so getting the main outline was easy and then just sanded a little here & there

until I have a good fit.

Probably too late for you as I don't know when I'll next be in the loft, but I can certainly make a plasticard template for you in the near ??

future.

'V'

what i would try to do is take a piece of masking tape,. put it over the outside of the bomb aimers window frame on the blister then draw with a biro the outline on to the tape,

then peel off the tape and stick to a piece of clear plasticard and cut out with scissors slightly bigger than the biro line and hey presto a window blank.

then sand it bit by bit till it fits.

once your happy pull the tape off and fix with your solvent of choice a non fogging glue is a good idea if you want your bomb aimer to see his target lol.

cheers rob and happy modelling,.

Thanks for all the tips regarding the bomb aiming window guys :cheers:

I've hatched a plan to buy a new Vulcan today for the stash and use the new part as a template :thumbsup:

I would contact Airfix for a replacement, but I've recently done that for TSR.2 clear parts, which came astonishingly quickly but since they arrived I can't find them :doh:

Here's the obligatory box shot with the decals and resin exhausts from a Flightpath set which I'll be using.

IMG_9752.jpg

When I built my first Vulcan very shortly after returning to the hobby I got a nasty step where the wings meet the fuselage and was advised to build the upper and lower halves seperately to avoid this, so this is what I plan to do with this build.

Here's my fist attempt from 2008

DSC02866.jpg

Hi Paul,

As I'm building VX770 which doesn't have a bomb aimer's window, you can have mine if you like? I see you have now acquired another Vulcan and intend to use that kit's part as a template, but the offer remains if you wish.

Good luck with the build!

Mike

Hi Paul,

As I'm building VX770 which doesn't have a bomb aimer's window, you can have mine if you like? I see you have now acquired another Vulcan and intend to use that kit's part as a template, but the offer remains if you wish.

Good luck with the build!

Mike

Hi Mike, that would be great. PM sent :cheers:

Seconded! Especially when other forums get quite nasty/stupid.

absolutley this was my first forum, im still very new to it all, but im also a railway modeller so thought i would join rmweb, wow what a difference that place is not so freindly at all, but this place rocks so i spend most my time on here. i love it.

im well behind you guys i still got to source me a vulcan and im still not totally decided on which im going to to, im considering an unusual one.

im thinking either of these.

prototype 2 vx777

early silver b1 with straight wings

silver b1 with afterburning 200 series engine (i think xa894 the one that set on fire)0

xh533 b2 with b1 small intakes and b1 tail cone (basically a b1 vulcan with b2 wings nailed on)

or xm655 not unusual but one i love and am a member of.

• 2 months later...

I've had a bit of a lapse recently with this build, must get into gear to finish on time.

I now have two halves of a Vulcan, complete with badly cut out bits for the resin exhausts!

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

I'm going to use my only set of precious resin intakes, as I tried to use the kit ones and gave up trying to hide the seam. If only my fingers were a tad slimmer!

I'm going to use my only set of precious resin intakes, as I tried to use the kit ones and gave up trying to hide the seam. If only my fingers were a tad slimmer!

:lol: sanding intakes is a PITA and I don't blame you one bit - I found that making tools from bits of wood & brass, with bits of wet'n'dry glued to them was about the only way to get the job done, and even then it's still a giant pain. :boom:

• 1 month later...

looking good and good tip mike, i have not braved the intakes on one of these yet to the perfect smooth degree we all seek, as you say is a nightmare to even think of.