Pin's What If

The story (a bit naive ;) ):

The list of A380 orders contains one entry that does not follow the pattern - it is an order for VIP transport built to private specification. As it was recently revealed, the order came from one of oil rich monarchies where serious civil unrest has been reported recently. The monarch has eventually fled the country leaving Airbus with almost complete hull. As it was mentioned before, the hull was built to private specification similar to 747-200M combi - aft part of the body converted to cargo compartment with large door to accommodate monarch's Rolls-Royce and guard SUVs. With abrupt cancellation of the order Airbus had to find a new buyer. Surprisingly the only bid came from the international talent management company that suggested to use it as a "touring bus" for musicians of highest calibre. Indeed, the layout of the plane provided luxury accommodation for artists and road crew as well as spacious cargo bay for stage equipment. The modified specification even included the rehearsal room. Using a single plane would simplify logistics and save money for the company. With the new contract secured Airbus completed the plane in just 8 months and delivered A380-800C ( C for Combi ) in late 2013. It first was used in famous (<undisclosed artist>) 2014 "Galactic Tour".

The kit:

I will be building 1:144 Revell kit to fit the story above. Custom decals, of course. The kit that I've got was in terrible shape - the fuselage halves were glued together very inaccurately, the wings were glued but then wrenched out so that fairings were damaged, wheel struts were damaged beyond repair, therefore I decided to do the plane "wheels up".

Photos to come soon :)

hmmm.....the story has a ring of truth to it...

looking forward to this

Tried to imitate landing lights in wing roots using clear epoxy and foil. The damage in wing joint is visible - filled wit milliput and sanded. I don't care much about drops of primer on transparent surface - it is to be cleaned, polished and masked before application of final layer of primer and paint.

IMG_2030.jpg IMG_2031.jpg

Another view on the damage

IMG_2032.jpg

The fin was also broken - filled with milliput and sanded

IMG_2033.jpg

Filling windows in cargo compartment

IMG_2034.jpg

Navigation lights - clear sprue was stretched, then painted clear red/green and glued into niche. After that the niche was filled with two component clear epoxy, sanded to shape and polished

IMG_2035.jpg

• 2 months later...

Was quite busy with other projects but returned to the Jumbo recently

Windows are filled in cargo compartment, sanded and primed. New panel lines and cargo door scribed.

IMG_2176.jpg

Engines - huge!

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg

• 4 weeks later...