Wessex decals

Vlamgat9

Given the re-release of the 1/48 Wessex by Revell, does anyone know if there are any plans by anyone to release any decal or resin sets? I'd quite like to do a Junglie in brown and green...

Given the re-release of the 1/48 Wessex by Revell, does anyone know if there are any plans by anyone to release any decal or resin sets? I'd quite like to do a Junglie in brown and green...

I thought the 'Bootneck Taxi's' only came in green or earlier on a sand and spinach scheme.

The exceptions being Devon Red etc for trial purposes.........would love to see examples of other schemes for an 'ongoing project'.

Rex

Model Alliance have issued 1/48 Wessex decals But you will have to change the piston engine for the Gnome engine and make new main undercarrage legs as the British Wessex's did not have the 'A' frame type lower legs.

Check out the revel 1/72 model

Geoff Arnold

World Heli Sig

Edited by Geoff Arnold

The kit Revell have issued is the HAS Mk3, the Gazelle powered version - though it is not accurate even as that without quite a bit of modification and addition. (To undercarriage, nose, cockpit, tail and underside) So possibly only the very early Light Stone and (?) Spinach 'Commando' Wessex HAS Mk1 scheme would fit, according to my rather unreliable memory.

Conversion to a Gnome powered later version - HU Mk 5 (RN) or HC Mk2 (RAF) - would be harder. I haven't figured out a good way to scratch build the nose area or the exhausts yet.

If our luck holds, Revell will re-issue the 'Royal Flight' Wessex , which was a Gnome powered variant.

Regards,

John

The kit Revell have issued is the HAS Mk3, the Gazelle powered version - though it is not accurate even as that without quite a bit of modification and addition. (To undercarriage, nose, cockpit, tail and underside) So possibly only the very early Light Stone and (?) Spinach 'Commando' Wessex HAS Mk1 scheme would fit, according to my rather unreliable memory.

Conversion to a Gnome powered later version - HU Mk 5 (RN) or HC Mk2 (RAF) - would be harder. I haven't figured out a good way to scratch build the nose area or the exhausts yet.

If our luck holds, Revell will re-issue the 'Royal Flight' Wessex , which was a Gnome powered variant.

Regards,

John

Hi John

The undercarrage legs are the same in the Royal Flight / 32 Sqn kit as in the HAS 3 as I have both of these kits to build when they were first released

Geoff Arnold

I thought the 'Bootneck Taxi's' only came in green or earlier on a sand and spinach scheme.

The exceptions being Devon Red etc for trial purposes.........would love to see examples of other schemes for an 'ongoing project'.

Rex

Sand and spinach was what i was thinking of - sorry, didnt make that very clear.

I was wondering if someone might do a resin Gnome nose...

Hi John

The undercarrage legs are the same in the Royal Flight / 32 Sqn kit as in the HAS 3 as I have both of these kits to build when they were first released

Geoff Arnold

Thanks for that Geoff. So if Revell do re-issue that version, the undercarriage still needs modification. Bother !

No doubt some details will need adding too. I suppose that is what makes this fun.......

John

Edited by John B (Sc)

• 3 weeks later...

Ian at Heritage Aviation Models does a 1/48 Wessex update and correction kit in resin and he has a 1/48 scale resin kit being tooled up as we speak. Can vouch for the correctin kit have one my self just need the Revell Wessex kit to go with it, might get one at RAF Waddington Airshow this June.

Hope this helps

Colin