1:35 Matilda Mk II in 'Malta Camouflage'

Bit of a place holder at the mo whilst I get another project finished - but hopefully able to crack on in next month, or so...

Bit of an AFV virgin - not built a tank since I was a kid - apart from the First World War Mk IV Male I built for the Great War GB.

This is the scheme - and I'm looking at one of two possible vehicles depending on what info I can find (this being one possibility):

re2005686.JPG

And courtesy of a deal with that very nice Sonofjim bloke - I give you the pile of bits for this project :)

re2005685.JPG

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)
  • Like 1

Great stuff - never knew that there was so much extra kit available for the old Matilda! Very glad to see one joining the GB.

That's "Griffin". Khaki Green No.3 base overpainted with Light Stone 61 or Portland Stone 64 "boulders" All four Matildas, Griffin, Gallant, Greyhound and Faulknor were painted in similar colours but with variations in the size and shape of the boulders so you need to find a pic of which one you're doing.

HTH

Andy

PS You'll also need to backdate kit to correct MkIII configuration

Edited by andym

Cheers Andy - that's a good head's up on colours and pretty well what I had in mind.

I went from originally thinking darker colour 'cracks' painted over a Portland Stone to the reverse - as the lighter blocks are clearly painted over the top.

Have decals for either Griffin, or Gallant (latter looking more probable as closer to kit) - and pictures of both - but only one side of each - still looking...

Believe backdate not too onerous - have found this so far but and also wondering if there were any changes around engine deck with the differing engines of the II and III?

Linky

Nothings ever simple in this game! ;)

Iain

Some more info here:

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=...topic_id=136621

and

http://ww2today.com/15th-april-1942-malta-...he-george-cross

Also

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?filter

with "British Army On Malta 1942" as search term

I don't think there were any changes round the engine deck but I was backdating to an early MkIII so not 100%

HTH

Andy

Edited by andym

You've not done a tank since you were a kid and you've got a load of Voyager etch for it? :frantic:, big time, I guarantee it!

Edited by pigsty

Cheers Andy - any thoughts on GALLANT being Portland Stone and a mid-brown as shown in the illustration? Guys at IPMS Malta seem to think brown?

Pigsty - I guess we'll find out soon! Also have the E T Model set which duplicates a lot of the Voyager set, but also has some additions.

Iain

Strongly suspect you're right Hood - all came as a job lot and will make a judgement call on each 'upgrade' - am not into using etch just because it's there as not always an improvement IMHO.

We'll see :)

Anything I need to look out for/any gotchas in the kit - looks very nice in the box and has been shouting 'build me'...

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Cheers Andy - any thoughts on GALLANT being Portland Stone and a mid-brown as shown in the illustration? Guys at IPMS Malta seem to think brown?

Pigsty - I guess we'll find out soon! Also have the E T Model set which duplicates a lot of the Voyager set, but also has some additions.

Iain

There is a possibility it could be SCC.2 as base colour. I don't know enough about Malta camo and Matildas at the time to be sure, would need to do more research. There was an article in MilMod a couple of issues ago on Malta Camouflage, I'll need to dig it out and read it.

Maybe Mike Starmer will chip in with some info.

Rehards,

Andy

Strongly suspect you're right Hood - all came as a job lot and will make a judgement call on each 'upgrade' - am not into using etch just because it's there as not always an improvement IMHO.

We'll see :)

Anything I need to look out for/any gotchas in the kit - looks very nice in the box and has been shouting 'build me'...

Iain

nothing to look out for its a joy to build did mine over 3 days one bank holiday. would defo get other one and no i dint use any pe cos i did feel like it needed any,be intresting to see what you think iain????

nothing to look out for its a joy to build did mine over 3 days one bank holiday. would defo get other one and no i dint use any pe cos i did feel like it needed any,be intresting to see what you think iain????

I didn't use any pe either, just replaced turret rack with a plastic strip one and scratchbuilt a new aerial mount for the turret rear, also used strip for the spare track link holders. I also replaced and refined a few other areas. I saw nothing in the pe set that I couldn't easily scratchbuild so didn't bother with it. I replaced tracks with Bronco ones. I really need to finish the painting on it!

Andy

Edited by andym

• 1 month later...

As per comments on my Macchi build for this GB - am not going to make this one in time - but will get cracking at some point over the summer and post a standard build thread.

Sorry!

Iain

• 3 years later...

Another one resurrected from the depths - could a kindly mod please move to the relevant 'in progress' area of the site please :)

After a looooong delay I think I've identified most of the changes required to build 'Griffin' so will be making a start on some of the mods this evening.

In mean-time - I've actually made a start on the kit!

Please be gentle as Tanks are a different world to me...

IMG_5094.jpg

IMG_5095.jpg

IMG_5096.jpg

Have fun! :)

Iain

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some more progress on my 'therapy' build...

Studying the photo of Griffin and comments on other fora, it appears it represents an earlier version that that kitted by Tamiya - without the exposed rivets on the hull and track covers.

In the photos you'll see I've carefully removed those on the r/h side of the hull and side-skirts - l/h side still to be done.

The area below the drivers vision port has had material removed and re-profiled using a dental burr.

The front edges of the upper track guards have had the moulded cut-outs filled with styrene sheet.

IMG_5122.jpg

IMG_5123.jpg

Bronco tracks assembled and able to fully articulate - very fiddly and 142 pieces per side.

Also - the slots in the rear of the hull for mounting the external fuel tank have been filled with styrene sheet and dressed flat as 'Griffin' didn't have the tank, or associated bracketry, fitted.

IMG_5124.jpg

IMG_5125.jpg

That's all for now folks,

Have FUN!

Iain

• Like 3

Hi Lain.

I have curiosity for look the camo paint work, I have got the eye in this tank.

Regards.