Airfix Chipmunk back out again

John

Wish it was a new tool one :( or had decals for a 4 AEF machine, or failing that RN decals for the BRNC flying training ones at my local airfield, down here at Roborough. Spent many happy hours watching them

Steve

18 pound for chipmunk decals seemes a lot

Yes,

even for the nice chippe schemes there you are left with a lot of decals I know I would never use.

Julien

Cool, I may just have to have one of these. I still have the photo of the Chippy I went up in on my first flight at No 10 AEF.

ex 1036 Sqdn Cadet.

I was thinking along the same lines.

The first one I flew in was WP901, 6 AEF from Abingdon, way back in March '81 (I looked it up in my 3822... Yes I still have it!)

An a/c that, remarkably, still exists according to the Air Britain website.

Then I see that the "18 quid" decal sheet includes the decals for this very a/c... :hmmm:

Ex. 86 (Heston and Isleworth) Sqn.

Good as it is to see the return of the venerable Airfix Chippy, let's not forget also that AZ Models are due to release a series of hopefully state of the art Chipmunks in 1/72 later this year. Hopefuly no more oversized rivets and a rather more detailed interior will be available than the Airfix offering.

I have the S&M decal sheet and although undoubtedly expensive, it is indispensable for any fan of post war RAF trainer types. A really colourful and well researched set that is highly recommended.

Mark

I have the S&M decal sheet and although undoubtedly expensive, it is indispensable for any fan of post war RAF trainer types. A really colourful and well researched set that is highly recommended.

I am quite sure that the S&M sheet is the reason why the hitherto largely ignored Matchbox Percival Provost has shot up to stratospheric prices recently. Very nice kit, it is.

For an inexpensive Red/White/Grey example try Modeldecal sheet 14 if you can find it.

It also features an RAF Sabre and a Vampire FB5, so its easy to use up the whole sheet!

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Just one last question, was this kit around in the late 1970s?

Cheers

Tony

I remember making a couple after my first Chipmunk flights in 1975. I think the kit dates back to the 1960's.

The S&M decals are absolutely superb, well worth the money!

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Just one last question, was this kit around in the late 1970s?

Cheers

Tony

Yes. Very much so. I was still in the ATC and bought three!

Edited by Paul J

1960flying8.jpg

1960flying5.jpg

Shoreham By Sea Airport 1965 (1440 Shoreham by Sea and 144 Richmaond upon Thames ATC)

Recognised the place immediately by the step and wall the cadet is stitting on! Pity there is no picture of no. 3 / WD346. I maded my very first Chipmunk flight in her around 1966/67 But its good to see pices of the others from 2 AEF, Hamble. No 2 must have been WP800, not sure about No.4.

Aaaah! Happy days.

Edited by Paul J

Hi Friends: I have received here in my mail and Airfix Newsletter Number 28 in which appeared a Black Chipmunk T 10 with White waist and wings bands, and was wondering if this is another reissue of this nicely venerable mould or is a new tool as the Gnat-Sabre-MIg 15-Spitfire I series. I have some predilection for this little plane and looks like a MUST for my 2012 kit buy plan.

Cheers,

We're they not in silver and red back in the early 60's? The original kit had the RAF decals and one for a Canadian machine, I remember building at least one of not two. I remember going to RAF Woodvale as an Air cadet, I was with with 318 Sale Squadron. I got wise just after that and joined the Fleet Air Arm.

Happy days non the less.

Colin on the Africa Station