1/24 Bedford TM

Okdoky

Like everything else, it will be my representation as close as I can get to the tangle taking account of what I can fathom out from the photos!!!!!!!! But it will be by no means perfect, like the masters of the art, as some bits just get too hard to handle and will be fudged accordingly !!!!!!!!!!!!

But that is hopefully where a coat of primer and a few coats of paint will mask a few of those glaring mistakes !!!! It will hopefully look good from a distance !!!!!!!!

Start of filling up the chassis side rails

DVC09674.jpg

DVC09675.jpg

DVC09676.jpg

And the relay valves and pipes (assumed serving part of the air brakes system and possibly air actuators for the gearing and transfer box)

DVC09679.jpg

DVC09677.jpg

DVC09678.jpg

Nige

• Like 1

Thanks Hawk

Is it madness ???????????????? Is sending me mad at times !!!!!!!!!! But how mad can I really get ???????????

I have been lubricating my pipes with much needed amber necter and soothing a husky throat ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well that is my excuse if ever I needed one !!!!!!!!!!

Just in case I display the TM with the cargo bed off, I have drilled out the bracket holes and shaped the centre slope in the middle

DVC09687.jpg

DVC09686.jpg

The two main air tanks plumbed in (third one made but do that tomorrow)

DVC09680.jpg

DVC09681.jpg

The load sensing valve and fittings plumbed in and secured to chassis Very fiddly angle to place it at

DVC09682.jpg

DVC09683.jpg

Chassis filling up nicely now

DVC09684.jpg

DVC09685.jpg

Hope you like

Nige

Yep !!!!!!!!!! I did say at the beginning I was going to try and work from the wheels up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ERM !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got diverted and I suppose I am putting off the inevitable of having to tackle those axles, diffs and all the other gubbins !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will have to make a decision on that soon !!!!!

Nige

• 2 weeks later...

Back onto the workbench after all the pies and pints from the festive season !!!!!! No headaches though thankfully !!!!!!!

Also after appearing worldwide on live TV with my family at Stirling Castle New Year Concert with the Proclaimers !!!!!!!!! Don't worry, my head not swelling too much as was only a bit part with 6000 other people !!!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=557753714253518&set=a.100461476649413.748.100000566829707&type=1&theater

Had a go at making the gear box and actuators and fitted it to a donor clutch housing from another kit engine lump that looked similar !!!!!!!!!

DVC09695.jpg

DVC09696.jpg

DVC09698.jpg

DVC09697.jpg

DSC03929.jpg

Hope these work as it looks like Photobucket may be getting unstable and losing or mixing up pics in my folder !!!!!!!!

BLOODY TECHNOLOGY !!!!!!!!!!

Nige

• Like 1

It's getting bette all the time.... with apologies to the Beatles. Looking at the colour of the cab, it's not a Hertz Rent a truck is it Nige?

Hope you enjoyed the concert.

Colin

I will get the drip tray under her ASAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adding a few more leaky pipes to busy up the lump

TMEnginebuild011_zps8b0a8733.jpg

TMEnginebuild010_zps854cf780.jpg

TMEnginebuild013_zps9d843c6f.jpg

TMEnginebuild012_zpsd91cab19.jpg

Lump will fit but I have to leave off the fan to get the radiator to sit in front and allow the cab skin to go over it

TMEnginebuild005_zps2ad38198.jpg

Suppose that might be because an 8 cylinder engine is longer than a 6 and I don't have the actual engine length to work from

TMEnginebuild009_zps3b4217cc.jpg

There has to be some sacrifices to accuracy if I am to get this done

Nige

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have spent the past few weeks faffing about and not really succeeding in doing anything real constructive on the model until today !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had a stab at folding the distinctive cargo bed sides in tin foil, as I cannot figure how to get the same effect in styrene with the straight and sharp folds !!!!!!!!!!
DVC09740.jpg

I can get the folds, but making them as accurately each time is very hard to do ,,,,,,,,,,, but I will persevere !!!!!!!!!!!
DVC09741.jpg

I also need to remember not to mark the folds with my exacto knife as I should have remembered from the DROPS that it starts of a severe metal fatigue fracture point !!!!!! ALWAYS USE A BLUNT BUT FINE BALL POINT EMBOSSING TOOL !!!!!!! The sharp fold on the bottom of this one was splitting early so already scrap !!!!!!!
DVC09742.jpg

I also have to figure out how I am going to bond the panels to the side pieces that have the locating holes that match up with the corner posts of the cargo bed !!!!
DVC09745.jpg

DVC09746.jpg

DVC09747.jpg

Also have to glue a reinforcing rod along the bottom edge and make the four holes that allow the side panels to locate on the cargo bed and pivot when sides are to be lowered !!!! This is what I am trying to achieve !!!!!!!!!!
DSC03987.jpg

More to follow tonight

• Like 1

Tonight I changed tack and had a go making a fuel tank, as my head was splitting from all the complicated hold and folds of the cargo bed sides !!!
DSC03984.jpg

First off, I made up 20mm X 20mm plastic shims in pairs. The original though was to make the tank hollow with the end pairs and middle pairs joined by a wide diameter hollow tube to save on plastic sheet !!!!! I REALLY NEED TO STOCK UP SOON !!!!!!
DVC09748.jpg

DVC09749.jpg

A circle of thinner plastic is glued on the outers and then the tin foil burnished over the ends. I ended up having to use far more shims making it almost a solid lump. The tin foil was carefully wrapped and glued tightly around the former with a slight overlapping end lip on each end !!!!!!
DVC09751.jpg

DVC09750.jpg

DVC09752.jpg

Next problem is the fuel tank hangers !!!!!!!!!! This is what I needed !!!!!!!
DSC03933.jpg

DSC03952.jpg

The hangers are not like the Italeri kit ones as the trough is on the outside curve, not the inside like the Italeri parts !!!!!!
DVC09755.jpg

Made my own by pressing strips inside a 'C' section brass using a solid square brass strip that fitted neatly with the tin foil !!!!!!!
DVC09758.jpg

Sides folded flat !!!!!!
DVC09759.jpg

Trimmed
DVC09761.jpg

Tight fit needs careful prizing out !!!!!!!!!
DVC09762.jpg

Because I need a bend, I drilled and cut the trough with sharp scissors leaving the side lips intact !!!!!
DVC09763.jpg

Because the strength is then lost, I had to replace the missing trough with something else !!!!!!!
DVC09764.jpg

Using the lighter, I melted the sprue just enough to put a full 90 degree bend !!!!!
DVC09765.jpg

Sanded and glued in the trough at the corner using two part epoxy !!!!!!! I am going on the basis that the retainer straps will fill the top trough so the sprue inside will not be seen !!!!!!!! The outside face of the corner can be smoothed off later with car filler which itself will add some strength !!!!!!!!
DVC09756.jpg

DVC09757.jpg

Hope you like

Nige

• Like 1

Hi guys thanks for looking in as always !!!!!!!!

Someone on another forum quite rightly noted that my fuel tank ends needed a sex change !!!

A quick fix with a shim added
DVC09766.jpg

DVC09767.jpg

My outy is now an inny !!!!!!!!!

Nige

Brian

It might need to get a circumcision yet, as I don't know what length it should be !!!!!!! The real Bedford in Linlithgow did not sell, so I am going to take a day off and get some more vital statistics soon !!!!!!!!!!

Be prepared for a painfull snip !!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

Edited by Okdoky