1/24 Bedford TM

Okdoky

Whilst paint is drying on parts for the DAF, I thought I would give you a teaser of a project that might very soon make a start.

I wonder what is in the Box ???????

DVC09436.jpg

It is the Cab and parts for the Bedford TM that Howard Whitehead of Kit Form Services sold me a long while ago !!!!!!! From what I remember, Howard gave me his last copy and bits available from the run he did.

DVC09431.jpg

Having wanted a model of this truck I got to drive in the TA to build, I was only too glad to get what I could from KFS knowing full well that any re-run of the kit might be a long time off, if ever at all.

Howard gave me what he could at the time, and I am grateful to him for that.

DVC09429.jpg

No instructions though, so I think I am going to have fun guessing the parts from comparing with an Army parts manual on the TM that a friend has just provided me with.

Thanks Neil for your help. Information will be a great help on this one.

I haven't opened the bags, but I can see that there is a good selection that will make my life a bit easier

DVC09434.jpg

DVC09433.jpg

DVC09432.jpg

DVC09430.jpg

Since the info I have is mainly on the 4X4 Eight Tonne, it is likely that I will go for that, although, if I can source seven wheels and tires of the right size, I might be persuaded to go for the 6X6 Fourteen Tonne.

bedfordtmlu1.jpg

939_BedfordTM4x4-2spec.jpg

169_BedfordTM4x4spec.jpg

And this is what I hope it will look like at the end

db_2005_0721Image025911.jpg

and

BedfordTM9.jpg

Hope that is a wee teaser for now. Must get back to the DAF !!!!!!!

Nige

Edited by Okdoky
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have made a start on my first ever attempt at scratchbuilding a wheel and tire so wish me luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14062012161.jpg

14062012163.jpg

16062012171.jpg

16062012172.jpg

16062012173.jpg

It does help if you get the diameter right, but I think I used one of my photocopies that had a bit over large and I am putting this down to rushing to prepare for the model club night.

So this one is going to be a practice piece that I am going to keep shaving and sanding down to the tread size. I am then going to try my pyrograve on it for the tread pattern. If it proves to be a problem I will sand it beyond the tread and try the add on method instead.

Will be a long process, but hopefully worth it !!!!

Nige

• Like 1

That is the blank formed and ready for some setting out of the tread. Had a snow storm with the amount of plastic I had to shed first. Note to self get the basic diameter a bit closer next time !!!!!!!!!!!!

16062012174.jpg

16062012179.jpg

16062012180.jpg

16062012178.jpg

So far this process has been far easier than I thought and really quite therapeutic.

Will try to mark it out tomorrow and make a start with the pyrograve !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

• Like 1

Thanks Terry

I have been marking out the tread pattern on the tire blank and am waiting the kettle boiling for a cuppa before setting about engraving the pattern with either pyrograve, drill tools or a combination still to be decided !!!!!!!!!!!

Here is where I got to so far !!!!!!!!!!!!

BedfordTM61.jpg

BedfordTM85.jpg

DVC09539.jpg

DVC09540.jpg

DVC09541.jpg

DVC09542.jpg

DVC09543.jpg

DVC09544.jpg

DVC09545.jpg

DVC09546.jpg

Coffee, some shortbread and a break to get my head ready for carving !!!!!!

Nige

• Like 3

This takes scratch building to a whole new level. I presume that Howard had nothing suitable?

Hi Brian

Not so much that Howard does not have anything, I am keen to attempt some wheel scratching for the sake of attempting a new skill set !!!!!!!!!!!!! If it works, then it is yet another string to my bow !!!!!!

Have been amazed by others that have done so before and have to try out the tools that I do have to copy their work !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for looking in as ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

I like your "Lathe" is that something you've made/bought/modifed. Would it be possible to get picture of it, I quite fancy having a go at making something similar.

Good progess on the wheel, are you going to cast the remainder of the wheels in resin, or are you a glutton for punishment and scratch each one?? ;)

Mike

I like your "Lathe" is that something you've made/bought/modifed. Would it be possible to get picture of it, I quite fancy having a go at making something similar.

Good progess on the wheel, are you going to cast the remainder of the wheels in resin, or are you a glutton for punishment and scratch each one?? ;)

Mike

Hi Mike

I got the lathe through E-bay and it came with a very rusty and very unsafe looking adapter to run a mini, circular table saw as well as a vertical oscillating jig saw run of a power drill.

DVC04033.jpg

I decided to dump the saws preferring to keep my fingers.

I am hoping that my masters will be good enough for a friend at the model club to cast me enough for the 4x4 and 6x6. !2 in total including spares.

Nige

• Like 1

Well Plan A did not work too well as the etching tool on the mini drill was too wide and too rough to etch clean, narrow troughs. I knew I had to try it out simply to know what the limitations of the etching tool are when doing such fine work !!!!!!!!!!!

As I said though, this piece is very much a practice piece and I have been able to simply carve away the tread and reduce the diameter of the blank so that I can now try Plan B ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, adding the nubs to a flat strip in the right pattern and hopefully get a nice even tread !!!!!!!!!!!!

To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before (OK LOADS HAVE GONE BEFORE) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but it is a first for me !!!!!!!!!!! Wish me luck !!!!!!!!!!

More to follow

Nige

Well this is Plan B started !!!!!!!!!!! And it does help if you have 32 nubs like the original, not 28 as I had miss-calculated on the blank before !!!!!!!!!!!! Measure twice, cut once (or drill,,,,,,,,,,,, or sand ,,,,,,,,,,,,,or whatever) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

360 divided by 32 equals 11.25 degrees per nub !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DVC09547.jpg

Setting out by angle proved far more accurate than trying to set out with a compass around the circumference !!!!!!!!! Lesson learned !!!!!!!

DVC09548.jpg

Using a black piece of sprue, I cut the inner nubs out using my multi-angle guillotine with a necessary adaption of a catchers mitt (a clear sandwich bag weighted down inside) to catch the cut nibs before they can become carpet fodder !!!!!!!

DVC09549.jpg

To see the size of cut I wanted to make, I added a sheet of white paper with a very basic measure drawn on it !!!!! I would love to add a more substantial butt stop and measure gauge and would be interested to see what others have maybe added to theirs !!!!!!!!

DVC09550.jpg

Adding the nubs to the blank was very easy and quick to get the pattern !!!!!!! The outer nubs have still to be designed and cut, but that will be another day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DVC09551.jpg

DVC09553.jpg

DVC09552.jpg

I have made the nibs much larger than needed so that I can gently sand them down all together to the finished tread depth !!!!!! Not sure if to sand them with a slight oversize so that there is less risk of resin shrinkage on the treads !!!!!!!!!!! What do the folks who cast regularly think on this proposal ?????????????

DVC09552.jpg

Nige

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Made a start on the outer nubs of the tire. Judged the tread thickness and used double thickness of card to make sure the tread will be thicker than needed to allow for sanding back. Also extended out beyond the side wall to allow a sanding back to the vertical equally.

DVC09559.jpg

DVC09557.jpg

DVC09558.jpg

DVC09560.jpg

Only 64 to make ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Slow progress !!!!!

Nige

• Like 1

This is the Michelin XZL 395/85R20

It means the tyre is 395mm width outer side wall to inner side wall at its widest point.

The aspect ration is 85% of the width = 335mm from hub rim to tread surface.

R = Radial

20 = 20 inch diameter wheel or 500mm diameter.

MichelinXZLTiretread.jpg

MichelinXZL395-85R203.jpg

Michelin2.jpg

Michelin.jpg

MichelinXZL395-85R204.jpg

DVC09561.jpg

DVC09558.jpg

DVC09562.jpg

DVC09564.jpg

DVC09565.jpg

Will paste some superglue in the joints and then sand tomorrow !!!!!!!! Tread and side wall will get sanded down !!!!!!!!

More tomorrow !!!!!

Nige

• Like 1