Academy 1/400 Titanic

Evening.Got this kit for meself,but,as my Sis is a bit of a Titanic fan,am going to build this for her forthcoming birthday.I intend to light the kit,and think she will like like it.Also got the Eduard PE kit,to make as good a job of it as poss.

First of all,the obligatry open box shot,impressive methinks.

TIWIP1.jpg

So far,have only had time to check the parts,and have a quick look through the instructions,but,on first impressions,am impressed by the quality of this kit.I read all the reviews of the various kits,and didn't want to build smaller than 1/400,so my choice was narrowed,and of all of them,this one came out overall winner.Managed to get it discounted too,which was an added bonus(not on evilbay,I might add),and it will be ideal for me to use me new comp and airbrush. :)

Edited by GEEBEE Z

I wil post a couple of photos of my lighting so far if you like?

That would be most appreciated Gunpowder,thankyou.

I look forward to seeing this one GBZ

Adam

Thankyou kind sir.Will need all the support I can muster.

It's a good kit. I've traded in a Minicraft 1/350 for this more modern version. Still looks quite impressively massive.

lighting a plastic model is a nightmare- light bleeds through everything, and you end up with glowing decks if you're not careful. There's a lot of info over on the Titanic Modelling and Research Association webpage I think.

Good luck. I'm looking forward to the day when I finally finish some project work and my home-office can become a miniature Harland& Wolf slipway...

It's a good kit. I've traded in a Minicraft 1/350 for this more modern version. Still looks quite impressively massive.

lighting a plastic model is a nightmare- light bleeds through everything, and you end up with glowing decks if you're not careful. There's a lot of info over on the Titanic Modelling and Research Association webpage I think.

Good luck. I'm looking forward to the day when I finally finish some project work and my home-office can become a miniature Harland& Wolf slipway...

Oh,didnt give that much thought.I will matt black the undersides of the decks to make sure.Ta for mentioning it. :cheers:

Hi, just got this one too but the airfix relaunch! Will be interested to see how you get on. Living in Southampton the local news over the last few weeks has been all Titanic so succumbed to the hysteria and bought late one night after a few glasses of wine! Damn these Internet shopping iPhone sites are dangerous....

Hi, just got this one too but the airfix relaunch! Will be interested to see how you get on. Living in Southampton the local news over the last few weeks has been all Titanic so succumbed to the hysteria and bought late one night after a few glasses of wine! Damn these Internet shopping iPhone sites are dangerous....

I agree,online shopping is tooooooooooooooooo easy.SWMBO has a scheme working now,that if I buy a kit,she gets something too. :blink:

I have just made a start on it,got this and 2 other aircraft on the bench at the mo,but will have to get a move on as its a pressie for me sister in a couple of months.This is the first liner I've built,so its new ground for me

I agree,online shopping is tooooooooooooooooo easy.SWMBO has a scheme working now,that if I buy a kit,she gets something too. :blink:

I have just made a start on it,got this and 2 other aircraft on the bench at the mo,but will have to get a move on as its a pressie for me sister in a couple of months.This is the first liner I've built,so its new ground for me

I think we should do a group build lol! Just finished my last model so now gearing up to tackle the Titanic.

• 1 month later...
Hi, how is this build coming along?

Not as quick as I would like,due to circumstances,I got to have this finished by the middle of July,and sorting out the lighting is a tad more troublesome than anticipated,but hopefully will have some pics to put on here soon.Fingers crosed.

Hi, lighting?! Wow that's impressive. I've been a bit slack too, still airbrushing the hull. Time has flown so now getting my head down and cracking on with it! Looking forward to seeing the illumination.

• 1 month later...

Nope is the quick answer.I think be the way things are going it will be Christmas.Totally underestimated this build,but its not helped by the fact that had relocation problems at work,and that I'm getting married soon,so this had had to go on the back burner a bit.How's yours coming along?

Hi, erm slowly! I agree the build is a lot more complex than I first thought and I'm expecting Xmas completion too! Best of luck with the wedding!!!!

Thanks mate.

you two! ha! all excuses... :rofl:

Adam

Now now young man,mocketh ye not.