Lighting a Titanic

GEEBEE Z

Can anyone please tell me how to fit lights to a Titanic.I have the Academy 1/400 kit to build for my sister,and would like to fit interior lighting,as I've heard this can be done,using some kind of lighting from ASDA.Any help would be appreciated,as I have to try and get this done before the end of July.

Cheers.

I've been looking at it too and I think google will be your friend on this one unless hopefully this resourceful bunch can help.

I was looking at going down the led and or fibre optic road but need to do a little more research on it also need to source fibre optic.

Im am currently lighting an Airfix 1/400 Titanic. Im using warm white wide angle leds. These give a better impression of the incandescent lighting. Normal LEDs are more like flourescent lighting. Im using a small 9v battery as a power source. I am not going to use fibre optics for a couple of reasons. 1 is that i feel its over complicating it and 2 is because on the real ship the light came from the room behind the porthole , not the porthole itself.

Ive only just started but i have drilled out all the portholes and fitted 7 LEDs in the hull. The LEDs themself came from ebay very cheaply with free resistors for 9v. If you dont fancy soldering you can get then pre wired so all you would have to do is join them up.

Hope that helps a bit.

Im am currently lighting an Airfix 1/400 Titanic. Im using warm white wide angle leds. These give a better impression of the incandescent lighting. Normal LEDs are more like flourescent lighting. Im using a small 9v battery as a power source. I am not going to use fibre optics for a couple of reasons. 1 is that i feel its over complicating it and 2 is because on the real ship the light came from the room behind the porthole , not the porthole itself.

Ive only just started but i have drilled out all the portholes and fitted 7 LEDs in the hull. The LEDs themself came from ebay very cheaply with free resistors for 9v. If you dont fancy soldering you can get then pre wired so all you would have to do is join them up.

Hope that helps a bit

Cheers guys.I thought of just placing some small battery operated lights in the hull,and using the stand to house the batteries and switch.A diagram of how you've installed things would be a great help to me Gunpowder.(grovel grovel)

Hope that helps a bit.

Hmm wondering if you might be right about the F/O especially the the whole room porthole thing, still it's thrown up a few ideas.

Stumbled across these chaps whilst scouring tinternet Titanic Research and Modelling Association, hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

You can get the "grain of rice" leds very cheaply these day and if you put a decent amount of them into the model the effect would be quite brilliant.

I would worry about putting bigger leds into a model as I work in electrical wholesale and have seen some of the disasters waiting to happen with the faulty leds we have coming back. Some serious heat build up with some of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking at ways to light up a liner kit for several years now, not necessarily the Titanic though, I rather preferred the Queen Mary (the Revell 1:570 kit) or perhaps the Queen Elizabeth (Airfix?).

Edited by Gardengnome

Gent's, I've just been through this proccess ........with this (1/350) beastie

12042012175.jpg

-I cannot recomend the incredible tallent at the Titanic Research and Modelling Association, enough. If you are contimplating this project I would say joining here is a must.

-as to the lighting. This is what I did;

30112011096.jpg

these are a warm white LED strip, which I mounted on a platform below the waterline. I painted the inside of the hull a cream colour. I then drilled out the portholes and filled them with 'Crystal Clear'.

-it worked out ....ok

30112011098.jpg

13022012141.jpg

Edited by IXGR1

I.for one,am impressed.Did you have to remove any of the interior decking to allow the light to show through to the upper decks?

I.for one,am impressed.Did you have to remove any of the interior decking to allow the light to show through to the upper decks?

certainly did Geebee z. As seen in the lighting photo, a number of internal decks were cutt-out.

IF i did this again, I would remove more into the deck houses - as my illumination to the Grand Staircase @ B deck (top deck) didnt work too well and you just cant fix things up when the decks are sealed on !!

-Glad you liked my model, here's another couple of shots....(for insperation, you know...!)

12042012170.jpg

12042012176.jpg

Edited by IXGR1

Certainly got me in making mode,mon ami.Have been sorting out how to light the upper decks,and have settled on feeding individual led's thru' the decks,and into the various rooms,so each is lit.Will make these up as I go along,as they thankfully dont emit mush in the way of heat,as am using a 9v source.

Did you use PE on your model,as I note the railings look very fine? If so,how difficult was it to put together?

Cheers.

Edited by GEEBEE Z

• 7 months later...