Airfix Stirling LJ525 Jolly Roger

stirling_real.jpg

Raising awareness for the Stirling Project who are doing an amazing job of recreating the nose section of a Stirling smile.png

Just an old-fashioned Stirling

With old-fashioned ways

A fuselage tattered and torn.

Four Hercules kept chugging away

She's flying from midnight to dawn.

Though she don't go so fast,

No great height does she claim,

Sure there's something that makes her divine:

When she flies there on high

She's the queen of the sky,

She's that old-fashioned Stirling of mine.

(Taken from Stirling Wings by Jonathon Falconer)

LJ525 was a Mk.III flying from North Creake in norforlk in 1944/45 carrying out radio counter measure ops in support of the bomber missions. The noticable differences of this aircraft from a standard Mk.III were the various antennas and 'Window' dispensers sticking out of the belly that were used to jam and confuse enemy radar signals used to track the bomber streams. Whilst it's one of the more famous Stirlings pictured, finding information about it is quite difficult as is the sad lack of attention the Stirling got in comparison to the Lanc and Halifax.

I'd like to thank Len Thompson for supplying his build pics when I started, Neil Whitely Bolton for translating the amazing build by some Italian chap and John Lathwell (12Jaguar) who apart from being part of the Stirling Project team has been a fantastic help and source of enthusiasm throughout the build. There were many times I wanted to just put this back in the box, but the interest from you guys at BM has kept me going. Clearly from the build thread HERE, despite the relative lack of fame, the Stirling certainly isn't forgotton where us modellers are concerned.

The only game in town is the Airfix kit, however whilst it generally looks like a Stirling, every (and I mean 'Every') part has either been replaced, sanded to smitherines or modified. I've learned some new techniques during the build such as replacing windowns with acetate and the carpet monster now has indegestion from all the plastic filings laugh.png Key upgrades were a complete rescribe, new windows, scratch built cockpit, bomb bay, wheel bays, rear interior and engine details. After market parts were the Resin Art wheel set, Falcon canopy set, Quickboost gun barrels and reversed Little Car lenses for the landing lights. The Stilring buffs amongst you will notice a few mistakes due to a lack of research at the right time, but I'm not telling you if you don't know tongue.png

Enough waffling, here's the pics...

DSC03497.jpg

DSC03495.jpg

DSC03481.jpg

DSC03476.jpg

DSC03475.jpg

DSC03492.jpg

DSC03490.jpg

DSC03478.jpg

DSC03465.jpg

DSC03489.jpg

DSC03438.jpg

DSC03468.jpg

Thanks for looking, Neil

Gorgeous Neil!

Worth all the trials and tribulations, it looks like a state of the art kit and a great addition to your bomber collection.

Cheers,

John

Thanks very much for your kind words Neil

It was a great pleasure to assist you with this project and thankyou for raising awareness of our Charity. Look forward to hopefully meeting you if you get near to Duxford at some stage

best regards

John

Whats the next project, have you done the Armstrong Whitworth Albemarle

No. Got Frog Whitley to do, but the next one will probably be a Hunter or an airliner. Will have to look into the Albermarle though, don't Valom or someone make one ?

No. Got Frog Whitley to do, but the next one will probably be a Hunter or an airliner. Will have to look into the Albermarle though, don't Valom or someone make one ?

Yeap, not a bad kit, got one in the stash, my dad at the time said he practise jumped from them, but I think he got a bit confused as I think it was the Whitley

Fantastic work!

This is a fine example of the wonderful things that can be done with these old Airfix kits.

thinking of old Airfix kits.. wouldn't it be great to have a catalogue or magazine with pictures of all yeteryears Airfix kits build to this standard? This one and a couple more on this board would make a nice start I think.

Anyway, Well done Neil!