Gemini Space Capsule

Smiffy

Gemini Space Capsule

1:24 Revell

Box%20art.JPG

The Gemini Program was phase 2 in NASA’s efforts to put man on the moon. Following Project Mercury, who’s goals were to put a manned craft into orbit and return both pilot and spacecraft safely back to Earth, Gemini was to develop techniques and equipment required for longer endurance space flights of up to 14 days.

Built by McDonnell Aircraft Corporation, the capsule was a two man craft named after the Latin word Gemini (meaning twins). A total of 10 manned flights took place between March 1965 and November 1966. Initial flights occurred with batteries supplying the capsules electrical power, before onboard hydrogen fuel cells were introduced on Gemini V.

The main goals set for Project Gemini were: 1, study the effects of extended space flight on humans and equipment; 2, successfully rendezvous, dock and manoeuvre with other craft; 3, perfect Earth re-entry procedures and 4, study the Astronauts ability to perform tasks during Extra Vehicular Activity (EVA) or space walks.

The information and techniques learned from Gemini proved essential to the success of Apollo, which allowed man to step foot on the moon.

The kit

This is a reissue of a kit that was first available back in the 60s. Released now as part of Revell’s “Classics” range, the kit comes in the familiar end opening box, containing 91 parts. Considering it’s age, the moulds appear to have stood up fairly well. There’s a little flash on some of the parts, here and there, but on the whole it looks in pretty decent condition.

Sprue%201.JPG

Construction starts with the two crewmen and they are moulded in two halves each. These are a little basic by todays standards, however if you are doing the capsule all closed up, then they should suffice. Once painted, they are completed with the addition of several decals and a clear visor. We then move onto the cockpit. The ejection seats are moulded integrally with the rear bulkhead, to which the floor and overhead console are added. The heat shield is then attached behind the rear bulkhead.

Sprue%205.JPG

The instrument panel is attached to the forward end and it features some raised detail representing various switches, dials and the like. However, several decals are supplied for the panels should you not wish to paint them. A small lever and control column are supplied as separate parts, to be fitted to the panel once completed.

Instrument%20panel%20close%20up.JPG

With the cockpit assembled, the outer skin of the cabin can be added. It is made up from three sections, forming the conical shape. The exterior surface detail features the distinctive corrugated effect very well. The crew doors are also slotted in at this point and they are designed to be operable, through the use of simple moulded pins. A little gimmicky, but the hinge pins aren’t too intrusive. The nose section, which houses the radar and parachute system, is made up from five parts. Once together, it is joined to the cockpit section and that completes the capsule.

Sprue%207.JPG

Sprue%203.JPG

The aft section is made up from two modules or adapters. The first contains the retrograde rockets. There are four of these, each made from three parts. A structural X shaped cross beam is made up from two parts, to which the rockets are then added. This assembly is then inserted into the adapter. The inside face of this section features some moulded rib detail, while the outside has some extremely fine raised riveting. Construction on this area is completed with several coolant radiators and manoeuvring thrusters added around the circumference of the exterior surface.

Sprue%206.JPG

Sprue%204.JPG

Attention then turns to the rear equipment module. The inner surface is once again detailed with raised ribbing, as well as a representation of electrical cabling. Now the fun starts, as into this area goes a whole plethora of parts. Coolant pump assemblies, cryogenic oxygen, propellant and drinking water tanks, as well as electrical power system and communications equipment. A good amount of time could be spent here, making the most of painting these parts up.

Sprue%202.JPG

Clear%20sprue.JPG

Four thrusters units are added around the outer edge and then all three sections can be joined. The two adapters are designed to be separable, using a twist lock system. This ensures that your detail work wont remain hidden away unseen.

Sprue%208.JPG

A simple paint guide is provided, for a generic Gemini capsule. Once painted, the capsule is joined with the two modules and the completed craft can then be displayed on a two part stand, which has a decal for the NASA Gemini logo. Speaking of decals, the provided sheet looks very nice. It is printed with good colour and registry on thin, glossy carrier film. I suspect this is the work of Cartograf, which is most welcome.

Decal%20sheet.JPG

Conclusion

I’ll confess that this subject is a little outside of my normal sphere of operations and after a little research, it appears the kit is based on a mock up, so there are some areas which need a little attention if wanting to build a replica of a ‘real’ Gemini craft. As far as I can make out, the shape of the cut outs in front of the capsule windows were altered on the actual spacecraft, from how they appeared on the mock up. The other thing worth mentioning is that the kit portrays the end of the rear equipment module, all opened up. It should be covered by the gold coloured, protective sheeting, therefore hiding away all that aforementioned detail.

I was initially a little sceptical about this kit, before opening it up. I think I was concerned by the fact that the kit is actually older than I am. As I said, I don’t normally go for real space subjects, but doing the research for this review has actually fired up quite an interest in the early exploits of NASA. I was pleasantly surprised by the kit itself. I think it has a lot of potential for super detailing, but equally, it could be built up as a fun weekend project. Actually, I think ‘fun’ sums this kit up nicely. The kit builds up to an impressive size and features a good amount of detail. If you combine it with the Real Space models resin set and some extra detailing however, it will be something really special.

Overall, I’d have to say I like this kit. Well done to Revell for letting the old girl out once more.

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers. For further information visit

logo-revell-2009.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Some of us are old enought to remember building the kit while the actual Gemini missions were being flown.. AARGH...!

Yep, indeedy, I vaguely recall making an enormous slap to together plane crash of the the Gemini kit which would, no doubt, have been a fab present way back then for an eight/nine year old ?

I certainly recall insisting and my dad waking me at the age of eight in the middle of the night to watch the Moon shot with him.

1201 alarm! Same type Eagle we're still go.

Cheers

I have the History Makers boxing of this kit

Date stamped 1965 on underside of stand

It also included an A4 leaflet on the Gemini Program dated 1965.

Gemini 12 flew in November 1966 after the kit was released.

P1000383.jpg

P1000384.jpg

I thought it might be ,The only things changed were the decals and

the information inserts.

Might have to get one for the decals although i think indy decals might

upscale their 1/48th sheets which have equipment module decals