Complete newbie to compressors

MarkVX

I'm looking to advance my skills now and feel its time i went down the route of a airbrush so need a compressor.

I dont have alot of money as im out of work at the mo and i build be models in my living room so the compressor needs to be cheap and quiet especially for when the kids are in bed.

Any ideas which would be the best compressor for my needs. i've looked on ebay and found this Ebay and was wondering if it would do the job or if anyone had used one

I'm looking to advance my skills now and feel its time i went down the route of a airbrush so need a compressor.

I dont have alot of money as im out of work at the mo and i build be models in my living room so the compressor needs to be cheap and quiet especially for when the kids are in bed.

Any ideas which would be the best compressor for my needs. i've looked on ebay and found this Ebay and was wondering if it would do the job or if anyone had used one

that compressor is the same as mine, but mine has a tank fitted, if you get one with a tank it will cut out when full thus making it silent, and will top up as going along

but there are more knowledgeable than me on here

Cheap & quiet don't generally go hand in hand, sadly. Firstly, a tank is a good idea, but it doesn't have to be massive to remove the pulsing from the airflow. I think the tank on mine is less than a litre? If you're looking for quiet, you need to get as close as possible to around 28db, which makes it no noisier than your average PC. Anything over that will gradually start to intrude on the family's TV watching, and make you unpopular. :fraidnot:

Get something with a "fridge" type compressor. Considering the life span and cycle of a fridge, these types should last you a long, long time. Keep your eye on the auction sites. Got mine used in a right mess. Stripped, cleaned and flushed it out, good as new. Have to put my my on it to check if it is running, it's that quiet! Something along these lines

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RotRing-Silent-A...c#ht_1873wt_932

• 11 months later...

Hello Guys,

My new compressor arrived today and I just need a little advice.

My previous compressor was borrowed from a Garages tyre airline,with a plug I'd wired onto the 3 core flex and a Badger hose adapter for my airbrush hose,plugging it in and out when I wanted the paint to flow...lol. So I have ditched it in favour of the one pictured below. The instuctions were vague and rather comical( they read like they ve been translated from another language and red out by a chinesse guy...lol). The new compressor has a pressure regulation and I was wondering A) how to set up the correct pressure to spray with?? and B) What should that pressure be?????.

The previous "monster" compressor didnt have any sort of regulator, what blasted out was what you got!!!!. It was Soooo noisey too, it sounded like an RAF Hercules !!!!!!!.

$T2eC16V,!)cE9s4PtnMnBRSwy)tcFQ~~60_12.J

that compressor is the same as mine, but mine has a tank fitted, if you get one with a tank it will cut out when full thus making it silent, and will top up as going along

but there are more knowledgeable than me on here

Same as mine as well, which has given me faultless service for 4 years now, I have never had another mini compressor to compare its sound levels to. Because I live alone in the middle of nowhere I have no one to disturb :goodjob: Having had a life time of buying woodworking machinery the norm is that you only get what you pay for, but this is one case where you get more, cant recommend them enough, they are very well made.

Cheap & quiet don't generally go hand in hand, sadly. Firstly, a tank is a good idea, but it doesn't have to be massive to remove the pulsing from the airflow. I think the tank on mine is less than a litre? If you're looking for quiet, you need to get as close as possible to around 28db, which makes it no noisier than your average PC. Anything over that will gradually start to intrude on the family's TV watching, and make you unpopular. fraidnot.gif

PS ,, Got to admit mine is a bit noisier than my lap top !!, what have you got ?,,,, an old Tractor tyre full of air !!!! :shutup: