RAF VC-10 C.1 Double Build

For my entry to the VC-10 STGB I intend to do two builds of the same aircraft: Vickers VC-10 C.1 XR807 as she appeared with 10 Sqn RAF back in 1977, and then again as a C.1K tanker/transport with 101 Sqn 30 years later. The kits I will be using are a pair of Airfix ‘standards’; in the BA packaging from the late 70s, and then as the more recent K.2 tanker variant. To convert them to the RAF C.1 spec, with Super VC-10 engines and extended wing leading edges, I will use the BRA.z resin conversions.

What’s my reason for building two versions of the same aircraft I hear you say? Well I have a love of VC-10s and XR807 in particular. This was the aircraft I first flew on as a 15 year old air cadet back in 1977. I seem to remember that sortie was a training flight for a new captain recently assigned to 10 Sqn (with whom XR807 flew for most of it's life). We cadets were to act as live ballast - to give the kite some weight as we proceeded to fly a succession of circuits and bumps around the Brize circuit. I was to come face to face with XR807 again in October 2007 - exactly 30 years later. On this occasion my work provided an opportunity to fly on this aircraft on an AAR sortie over central France where we were to refuel a succession of FAF and FN Mirage 2000s, F1Cs and a pair of Super Etendards. When XR807 retired from military service in 2010 and was dispatched to Bruntingthorpe airfield for dismantling, the opportunity to acquire a set of passenger seats from this machine was too good to miss. So much to my family’s dismay and bewilderment these now take pride of place in my man cave! And to cap it all I now own the car registration seen on my Avatar!

canon56-4152A1.jpg

XR807 as a C.1K with 101 Sqn in 2009 seen landing at Brize just a few months prior to scrapping.

canon56-4096a1.jpg

A view of the interior of XR807 in part aero medevac fit.

IMG_00341a.gif

Those darned seats!

To start with, here are the obligatory box contents and reference material shots. When I opened the boxes I was annoyed to find I had only 1 set of the Bra.Z conversion remaining – could have sworn I had two – so an urgent order has just been sent off to Hannants. The reference books are the two VC-10 bibles by both Scott Henderson and Lance Cole, together with a 101 Sqn special that was published during the sqn’s 90th anniversary.

vc10STGB1.jpg

VC10STGB2.jpg

VC10STGB3.jpg

Aftermarket decals have been obtained from F-Dcal for the overall camouflage grey scheme XR807 wore in her latter years. For the classic Transport Command white/blue/LAG scheme worn when with Shiny Ten, I acquired further decals from Liveries Unlimited and Two-Six.

VC10STGB4.jpg

VC10STGB5.jpg

Looking forward to this STGB and seeing an array of different types and markings worn by the type during her long civil and military career. What I am not looking forward to in the end of 2013 when 101 Sqn, as the last operators of the type anywhere in the world, will finally retire this most iconic and graceful of British aircraft :(

On with the build!

Mark

Edited by canberraman

Looking forward to this, I have the Anigrand 1/72 VC10 although I am in this group build I probably won't start it yet as I have other models on the table, but mine will be a C1 as well

the opportunity to acquire a set of passenger seats from this machine was too good to miss. So much to my family’s dismay and bewilderment these now take pride of place in my man cave! And to cap it all I now own the car registration seen on my Avatar!

Looking forward to this STGB and seeing an array of different types and markings worn by the type during her long civil and military career. What I am not looking forward to in the end of 2013 when 101 Sqn, as the last operators of the type anywhere in the world, will finally retire this most iconic and graceful of British aircraft :(

Mark

I can't think why the family would be dismayed - seems like a perfectly normal thing to do...

Agree with looking forward to seeing the different markings that are possible and it will be a sad day when the aircraft finally goes :(

• 3 weeks later...

With the Hunter STGB out of the way, there's finally been time to start work on the first of my two VC-10 builds for this STGB. Although I'm building RAF C.1 XR807 as seen at different stages during her working life, I decided to begin with the latter version, the C.1K tanker/transport of 101 Sqn.

Using the Airfix K.2 Tanker as the base kit, there are a few modifications necessary to make a C.1. As many of you will know the RAF C.1s were something of a hybrid amongst VC-10 versions being that they used the shorter 'standard' VC-10 fuselage (albeit with the inclusion of a large cargo door), and the tail fin, wings and more powerful powerplants of the Super. Some radical surgery is therefore required!

First off I removed the centreline HDU from the K.2 fuselage as the C.1K only utilised the wing mounted Rushton pods. The hole that remained was fared over with plastic card, smothed over with Milliput and then sanded to shape. The engine mountings were also carefully cut way and the resultant gaps backed up with plastic card and filled with Milliput. (The Airfix mountings are the wrong shape and at an incorrect angle of incidence for the 'Super' Conways, which I will replace with the nicely detailed Braz resin aftermarket extras). The fuselage windows were blanked off from the inside using thin plastic card. These were then filled with a mixture of Milliput and model filler before sanding smooth.

xr807-1.jpg

The Airfix VC-10 tail fin and T tail lack the detailed recessed panel lines and fuel cells seen on the C.1 and Super variants so these were carefully scribed and the rudder hinges added.

xr807-2.jpg

xr807-5.jpg

Others on this STGB have commented about a poor fuselage fit on some Airfix VC-10 kits and occasional gapping or a step which occurs towards the rear, so I have tried to alleviate this by adding a number of plastic card tabs along the fuselage join lines to provide strength and a larger mating surface when time comes to cement the two halves.

xr807-4.jpg

The next area to receive my attention was the wings. I began by rescribing the panel lines, sanding back the gently raised lines of the original. The wing tips are also rather too thick in 1/144th scale so I sanded these from the inside to make them a bit more refined in appearance. The wing leading edges were carefully removed using a razor saw in preparation for replacement by the broader chord Braz parts used on the C.1. At this stage, also using a razor saw, I made a narrow cut across each wing in readiness for fitting a pair of inboard wing fences. The outboard fences nearer the wing tips were also cut away as these are not a feature of the C.1 and Super VC-10.

xr807-3.jpg

The Braz Conways and leading edges were washed in warm soapy water and then dry fitted. Looks like they will fit without too much trouble when the construction begins in earnest in the next instalment. Thanks for looking and good luck and best wishes to everyone who is participating in this STGB.

Mark

Mark

You've made a great start. The rescribing makes a big difference. It seems that the fuselage fit can be problemmatical so hoprfully the tabs you've added will prevent problems.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Kind regards

AC

I was wondering if the fit probs might be that the two fuse halves are not identical - I'll have to golook at mine later and see....does seem to be a prob for everybody tho

I was wondering if the fit probs might be that the two fuse halves are not identical - I'll have to golook at mine later and see....does seem to be a prob for everybody tho

It could well be. Mine were a bitch to coax together.

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

The long Jubilee weekend has been a good opportunity to make some progress on the first of my VC-10 builds.

Since I last wrote I have substantially completd the model with wings affixed to fuselage, engines positioned and cemented, and tailplane added to tailfin. I have also made a number of other refinements necessary for the unique C-1 variant which I will describe.

xr807-9.jpg

xr807-10.jpg

The broader chord Bra.z leading edges were fixed to the main wings using CA glue. Since I last built a VC-10 I remembered not to cut off all the resin stub as this pads out the Airfix wing and makes for a smoother aerofoil shape with resultant less filling and sanding. The broader chord leading edges jut forward of the fuselage so this gap was fared in with Milliput and smoothed with a cocktail stick. The wing fences were made from plastic card cemented into a razor saw incision cut into the correct places. I used one of my Corgi diecast VC-10s to get an approximate wing fence shape which I then refined using a scalpel and sand paper. Green putty was used to fill any gaps and then I proceeded to rescribe the wing panels with my Tamiya scriber. On the underside of the wings Airfix mistakenly have added a number of access plates which need to be sanded smooth as they should only feature on the uppersides. Another failing is that Airfix have missed off the flap actuators where the wings join the fuselage which I crafted from Milliput and then sanded to shape.

xr807-11.jpg

xr807-12.jpg

There is a conspicuous lack of panelling and surface detail on the Airfix fuselage, particularly on the undersides. From plans and photos to hand I rescribed the missing main undercarriage doors and a number of other panels. It was also a test of trial and error to get the right alignment for the Braz Conways being that they sit slightly nose up and the stubs are angled upwards towards the powerplants at the fore end. These were fixed with CA and the gaps filled first with CA and talc and then later with green putty. There is also a curious flat blister on the starboard pair of Conways which I fashioned from Milliput and will sand to shape.

xr807-15.jpg

xr807-14.jpg

With wings affixed to fuselage and tailplane stuck in place, most of the major construction is done. I added a vent pipe to the tail APU and also the prominent ledge near the rear cargo door. Some of the scratches and gaps were filled with Tippex or more green filler. I then proceeded to sand the model smooth with a fine grade sanding sponge. Final stage for today was to give the '10' a thorough wash in warm soapy water using a toothbrush to remove any residue from the engraved lines. We're now nearly at the point where we can start slapping some paint on! Thanks for looking, good luck to all other VC10 STGB builders.

Mark

Edited by canberraman

Mark

Your VC10 is coming on a treat! Looks like you've overcome some of the problems with poor fuselage fit mentioned by other on this form. The build also looks all the better for the additional scribing. The clock is ticking away though, are you going to get this and the next version of XR807 done before the STGB calls time? :unsure:

All th best

AC

Thanks AC!

Don't panic, don't panic! There's 6 weeks left I think we'll be alright! If the weather stays like this then I won't be expected to do the garden so more time for modelling :rolleyes:

Will hopefully apply first coat of grey primer today. Pix later.

Cheers all

Mark

Mark

Your VC10 is coming on a treat! Looks like you've overcome some of the problems with poor fuselage fit mentioned by other on this form. The build also looks all the better for the additional scribing. The clock is ticking away though, are you going to get this and the next version of XR807 done before the STGB calls time? :unsure:

All th best

AC

• 4 weeks later...

Here we go with the latest instalment.

With construction 95% complete it was time to begin painting and finishing. The model was initially treated to a coat of Humbrol spray can grey primer. This always helps provide a good finish for the top coats to cling to and also exposes any scratches and blemishes which require further attention. With primer applied I then did the necessary remedial work using Tippex for the small scratches and Hobby green putty for the larger gaps and dimples. Once I was satisfied that the surfaces looked OK, I then gave the model a good rub down with various sanding pads followed by another wash in soapy water to remove any residues.

xr807-18.jpg

xr807-19.jpg

The late model RAF VC-10s are fairly straightforward to paint being that they wear an all over finish of RAF camouflage (Barley) grey. Hannants Xtracolor grey enamel was applied by hand in a couple of coats using a broad flat tipped brush. The grey enamel was lightened with a few drops of gloss white for scale effect and also to show some weathering and thinned with white spirit to reduce brush marks.

xr807-17.jpg

xr807-16.jpg

When the paint has properly dried (which is several days when using Xtracolor) I will do the detail painting, weathering, and finish off the undercarriage and other smaller assemblies. I'm beginning to wonder if I 'll get the other earlier version of XR807 built by the deadline but I'll give it my best shot!

All the best, thanks for looking.

Mark

... I'm beginning to wonder if I 'll get the other earlier version of XR807 built by the deadline but I'll give it my best shot!

Mark

thats all thats needed :)

...and Jabba has some competition to get to the finish line first !!

• 3 weeks later...

OK we're on the home stretch with XR807 in her later tanker guise. Sad to say it's looking increasingly doubtful that I'll get the other Transport Command scheme done by the deadline but I'll keep trying.

Current state of play shows the C.1K after final painting, including the myriad replacement panels and assortment of greys. Most of my time has been spent rubbing my brush painted finish down with progressively finer Micromesh polishing cloths. With painting almost complete I applied a coat of Johnsons Klear prior to decalling and to protect the surface beneath when I apply the Flory weathering products.

xr807-22.jpg

xr807-23.jpg

This build has been mostly fun and enjoyable but I had forgotten the pressure we put ourselves under in a group build! :D

Thanks for looking

Mark