VC10 British Airways (or maybe BOAC?)

If nobody minds, perhaps I might be allowed to join in with an effort?

I have had this kit in the stash for about four years now, along with some Braz engines and the Two Six "Landour" decals and if its ever going to get built, now is as good a time as it is likely to get.

My intention is to build the kit in the British Airways colours as I have fond memories of VC10s in this scheme parked up at RAF Abingdon in the 1980s, awaiting conversion to tankers. Thats the plan anyway, but don't be surprised if I do get suckered into the classic BOAC scheme. The build might be a bit slow as I am trying to deal with some health issues at the moment, which have led to my main project being put on hold pending some hospital treatment. I'm not sure how far I am going to go with corrections, it will largely depend on how I am feeling so she might end up very much OOB. Still, lets see where she takes us....

Martin

Obligatory box and parts picture

101_2976.jpg

Edited by martin hale

I spent some time last night getting the flying surfaces scribed and I will try and get them cleaned up today. If I feel up to it I will also make a start on scribing the fuselage halves. Ferretting around in the box I discovered that I had a small etched detail set from Two Six Decals so now I have to decide whether I would rather use this to tart up the kit engines or go for the Braz replacements.

Martin

101_2977-1.jpg

Hi Martin welcome

I knew you would not just make a OOB kit it,s not you, so are we going to see a full detail inside job and all that now ???.

As it is 144th and not your normal 48th do you need stronger glassiss !!.

Any way nice that you have joind this GB, bring it along to the club next time you are there so we can see each others builds.

See ya Paul

...are we going to see a full detail inside job and all that now ???.

interesting question.......

and everybody is welcome in the Britmodeller terminal :)

Its just going be a quite basic build due to health issues. I will count myself lucky to finish it in the current circumstances.

Martin

Edited by martin hale

....the Two Six "Landour" decals and if its ever going to get built, now is as good a time as it is likely to get.

Martin

Obligatory box and parts picture

101_2976.jpg

an oob is just fine....hope the health issues are resolved and building this might even help, tho' I was curious about your description of the Landor colours;

those are the pearl grey upper fuselage, blue-topped fin and coat of arms.

Do you mean the Dick Negus designed c/s with the white fuse and red-topped fin?

That said, I reckon a VC10 in that Lando scheme would look amazing....

an oob is just fine....hope the health issues are resolved and building this might even help, tho' I was curious about your description of the Landor colours;

those are the pearl grey upper fuselage, blue-topped fin and coat of arms.

Do you mean the Dick Negus designed c/s with the white fuse and red-topped fin?

That said, I reckon a VC10 in that Lando scheme would look amazing....

Sorry I meant the scheme on the box top.

Martin :dunce:

I managed to get the fuselage scribed today, I would have preferred not to scribe the kit but as the panel lines are all raised they were always going to get obliterated when the model was sanded down so not a lot choice there. At least I can now get down to glueing some plastic together now. I think I read somewhere that the wing fence on the kit is in the wrong place? Can anyone point me in the right direction here as I freely admit that I know precious little about airliners?

Martin

101_2978.jpg

101_2979.jpg

depends on the version you are building, but yes you need to add wing fences to the inner wing - go check the refs and info thread :)

I got the various doors glued into the fuselage halves this morning. The fit leaves a lot to be desired and it looks like a lengthy filling and sanding session is in prospect. A good job I did that re-scribing then. I have decided to go for a standard VC10 and have added to my indecision by ordering a set of BOAC decals. I supose what I really need to do is to source a second kit at a sensible price and do both colour schemes!

Martin

101_2981.jpg

I supose what I really need to do is to source a second kit at a sensible price and do both colour schemes!

Martin

Indeed - a most sensible solution :)

It might also be worth pointing out that, afaik, only one standard VC10 was repainted in the full Negus (red fin) c/s - G-ARVM, which stayed in the fleet for a while after the retirement of the rest of the short-body aircraft as a back-up.

There were several, including 'VM, that received the red tail, but retained the BOAC cheatline before they went.

I occured to me that how the Two Six Decals BOAC transfers are presented might well effect the way I build the fuselage halves. I would prefer to go with glazed windows for the passenger cabin but might have to fill the kit windows in if the decal sheet presents them as a transfers only option.

With this in mind and whilst waiting for Royal Fail to deliver the said sheet I decided to get the wings, tail plane and engine pods glued together. In keeping with my trying to keep this build as simple as possible I have deaided to live with the kit engines and save my Braz ones for another build when my health is a bit better. They still look good enough for me anyway. Fortunately the kit engine fronts can be fitted after the pods have beeen cleaned up and painted.

I did get the doors on the fuselage filled and sanded and what a job that was! Some of the rescribed panel lines need rescribing themselves now! Oh well :shithappens:

Anyhow, here are today's pictures:

Martin

101_2985.jpg

101_2986.jpg

101_2987.jpg

Thanks Kevin, I start my new pain control regime on Wednesday, regular accupuncture, injections and some new drugs so here's hoping as I want to get back to my main project.

Martin

Well, my BOAC decals have arrived and I still can't decide on which scheme to do. Perhaps you guys can help me out with some reasoned advice here?

I have however, cleaned up the wings and tail planes. I will add the missing wing fences when I have got the airframe together and cleaned up. I have decided that I wil go with proper windows rather than decals so I can now make a start on getting the fuselage together, well, at least I can as soon as I can remember where I put my supply of lead!

Martin

101_2990.jpg

the reasoned advice being which colour scheme to do?

get another kit and do both :)

re the door fit/filling/sanding thing - maybe it might be worth doing a second kit differently from the first and having open doors and interior....

just a thought

You are quite right about the second model Kevin but until I can source such an item at a sensible price, I have to decide which scheme to do for the purposes of this Group Build.

Martin

I have decided that the fuselage is very likely to flex during the build and so, to avoid joins keeping opening up I have glued tabs inside one of the fuselage halves a la vac form. If I leave that 24 hours I think it should be strong enough.

Martin

101_2991.jpg

I have decided that the fuselage is very likely to flex during the build and so, to avoid joins keeping opening up I have glued tabs inside one of the fuselage halves a la vac form. If I leave that 24 hours I think it should be strong enough.

Martin

This is a good idea Martin.

I built one years ago and the fuselage kept opening up.

It might be a good idea to drill a hole in the forward bulkhead an fit a small nut and bolt to provide some nose weight. A drop of CA on the thrtead afterwards will ensure it stays in place.

Chris.

Edited by stringbag

smart move!!!

The afx VC10 does seem to have some issues re getting good joins so this is a good idea

oh, and the c/s....I had a thought about that....(go see the post about Registrations...)

dont forget that G-ARVM was the only standard VC10 to be painted in the full negus (red tail) British Airways scheme.