Cavallino Rampante Sabre

Paul J

Hi all. As I can't send in pics of other WIPs, 'cos of camrea breakdown, I thought I 'd send these in. The model was made earlier this year around January and is from the High Planes Aerobatics Team boxing of the Academy kit to 1/48th. Resin fuslage vents and 'sugar scoops' are included in the kit but for the vents I used the resin parts as a pattern and 'cut in' the vents with a sharp scalpel. That way I didn't have to do too much surgery. The sugar scoops I'll save for a Canadian Mk.6 sometime.

I used good old Humbrol Ivory(thanks to Giorgio N for the tip) for the top and a blue for the lower wings and tail. Not sure, but I think I mixed Humbrol 14 with 15. The red is acrylic from a Testors sachet. To get the scalloped cheat line/flash, I used Tamiya masking tape and liquid artists masking for the curved portion. All the decals are from the special issue box. The prancing horse sticker cam from one of those old ESCI catalogues. (I thought it would come into use one day!).

Anyway, I hope you like it so here goes;

IMG_4458.jpg

IMG_4459.jpg

IMG_4460.jpg

IMG_4461.jpg

IMG_4462.jpg

IMG_4463.jpg

IMG_4464.jpg

IMG_4465.jpg

IMG_4468.jpg

Just in case , the other options in the kit are for a slightly later Cavallino Rampante scheme, the Frecce Tricolori in the black scheme, Lanceri Neri also black, Golden Hawks RCAF, and the Yugoslav Team which wasa contender fro me in 'colourfulness'!

Edited by Paul J

Nice build and love the nice clean finish you have achieved. My favourite colour scheme on a Sabre.

Just wondering if the omission of the upper blue sections on the outer wings was an error or if an earlier/later scheme did not have them. When I built mine, I could only find pictures of the aircraft with blue outer upper wing sections.

http://aerobaticteams.net/cavallino-rampante.html

Edited by Talon

The scheme mine is in is the slightly earlier one. The kit has the option to finish it as you describe yours. I was torn between which to do but ended up spraying the whole of the bottom wings blue and that decided it!! :) You can see that the top of the wings in images 15, 26 and 32, among others, in the link you provided that the ivory is all over the top wing. In others, blue tops up to the fence and all along the lower surface.

Edited by Paul J

Hi Paul J,

Very nice indeed!!, I'm in the process of doing this subject in 1/72, but I've gone for the dark blue outer panels on the upper wings - I just hope mine will turn out somewhere near as good.

Actually I think there was three different versions of this scheme, the third being blue outer panels to the upper & lower wings only, & the rest ivory . I think you can see examples of this one in the 17th, 19th & 27th piccy on Talon's link (especially Piccy 19!)

Tony R

Edited by TonyR

Yes you're quite right. I did know this and is one of the options of the two for the Cavallino option in the kit. Humbrol Ivory is perfect for the model if you're doing the same.

By the way, your Avatar piccy reminds me of my Hasegawa 1/72 T-33 I made many years ago around 1974/75, when O. H-B was displaying the aircraft at shows like Biggin. I hand painted the emblem on the nose and fin. Got pic of it somewhere before I stripped it down for a rework.

Hi Paul J,

Love to see the 'Black Knight' piccy if you can find it please - Fell in love with that paint scheme when I first saw it at Duxford, parked next to his CF-100 Canuck, and took quite a few slide piccy's which I still have somewhere, especially some close-ups of the crest on the tail and the helm on the nose - She was there for quite a while, even after OHB's sad & untimely departure. - I understand she was also lost in a crash at Duxford in 2006. :(

Have a T-33 in the stash reserved for turning into G-OAHB - If I ever get the time - lol.

Tony R