Revell TIE fighter

I ordered this off of Amazon for £12.. Can't argue that.. And I was well impressed when I opened the box too.. I wasn't blown away but the toylike factory finish, so a mixture of some Revell Aqua's, a wash and some light dry brushing, here she is! I also drilled out the cannons, because I could. I didn't go banana's with hiding too many seams. It adds to the non-cgi-ness that I grew up with.

TIE_010.jpg

TIE_001.jpg

TIE_002.jpg

TIE_003.jpg

TIE_004.jpg

TIE_005.jpg

TIE_006.jpg

TIE_007.jpg

TIE_008.jpg

TIE_009.jpg

Looks very nice, not toylike at all - did you respray the whole thing? The wing centres are a lovely crunchy cluster of nurnie bits.

I think you're right to leave the seams too - they're subtle, but they add to the impression of the vac-formed innards of a studio model.

Will

Thanks lads..

Will, I masked the solar panel and cockpit glazing (and framework) and resprayed the rest. Basically everything that's blue-grey. Subtle paynes grey wash and a dry brush with the base colour followed..

Chris.. Way ahead of you ;)

Michael, for the price and scale, you can't go wrong with these TIEs..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

That's a very nice build. Now I'm tempted to grab it and run around the room making pew pew noises... tongue.png

Nawww, the proper noise to make when flying a TIE Fighter around the room is:

"WWWWWAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGG!!!!!"

:smartass:

Seriously though, I think this kit is one of Revell's better ones in the SW kit line. The shape to me also seems a tick better than the Fine Molds 1/48 one. I'm in the process of doing a repaint on my kit as while the blue color is apparently correct at least for the fighters. But I prefer a more washed out gray coloring myself. I just wish Revell would have opted to mold the cage frames separate for both sides of the solar wings as masking off the black panels on one side is VERY time consuming compared to the side with the frame molded as a separate piece.

Very nice paint tweaks to the model. Only thing I could see to add would be black on that back hatch/solar ionization reactor (depending on which reference you read) hexagon "window".

Edited by JMChladek

Nice looking TIE fighter.

Colour wise the original props were painted stormy sea blue but this caused a problem with blue screen so in Episode 4 they repainted them grey but reverted back to the blue for Episodes 5 & 6. There are some photos about of one TIE fighter painted half grey and half maroon for filming tests!

I also read somewhere that the concept behind the TIE fighter was one of fragile mass production and they would not be round long enough to become too "weathered".

Nice tie fighter buiild, I think revell would have done much better if they issued this kit as a standard kit, rather than the easy kits. I think I am just missing the slave one and the at-at kits from the classic trilogy films.

• 3 weeks later...

Cracking job mate!

Good luck with the new camera- I switched to a dslr at the start of the year and I'm almost as good with it as my old point and squirt... :confused:

I've got me a decent camera since I took those pics, so I'll try and shoot some proper looking images.

Not that there's anything wrong with those shots, by the way.

I dream of getting that good...Good job most peeps aren't quite as clueless as I am!

What did you get? (If you don't mind me asking?)

Edited by oileanach