Airfix Swordfish

To keep the Lanc fresh I decided to jump onto the Airfix Swordfish.. Lovely little kit, adorned with some of the Airwaves PE stuff for the old version. Although the oil cooler did decide to disintegrate when being painstakingly assembled over the course of a few hours.. I decided to say sod it and used a few of the bits to pretty up the kit one instead... The collector ring was done with alclad dark aluminium with a layer of Valleyo brown glaze and Citadel Gryphonne sepia wash.. I didn't really want to paint it copper or old bronze, because I feel the pigments in anything other than alclad would look out of scale.

I just need help with how to position the wings..

So here's soe piccies..

SW_001.jpg

SW_002.jpg

SW_003.jpg

SW_004.jpg

Edited by Michaelvk

Thanks guys..

I spent the other night with a pin vice and the tiniest drill I have drilling holes in the wings for rigging.. First time I've actively decided to add rigging, and the whole biplane thing is really screwing my head up on how to properly plan things.. I think I've got it..

Now, what do you chaps recommend as 1:72 rigging wire? I was briefly considering hair courtesy of Herself..

A really good source of extreamly fine wire can be found in old radios and CB's.

If you can find some your looking for the inductors in the tuning section. Little square metal cans, once removed from the PCB you'll find a neatly coiled bobbin of wire, very fine wire, so fine it can be used to detail the pits and IP's in 1:144!!

It takes a little time and care to find the pin with the end on then just unwind it.

Another good source is old CRT monitors. These have similar bits in plus some nice big, high voltage coils in the HT section. These have all sorts of gauge of wire in them, lots of old electronics are very useful for modelling!!

BTW excellent progress, and that collector is perfect!

Si.

Edit :

Here's a pic of some of them:-

100_3266.jpg

Edited by Dr.Jellyfingers

Those are excellent tips for rigging wire, and I'll definitely be pulling apart some coils in the future. For now I settled with some nylon monofilament.

I also made do with field grey instead of slate grey, which is a bit greener. I freehanded the camo pattern, and it's going to need a bit of tweaking in places, but I've run out of air. I'll be getting a compressor soon, though.

Here's some more pics.. After seeing the pic posted above of the collector, I decided to add a little blue to the exhaust..

SW_005.jpg

SW_006.jpg

SW_007.jpg

SW_008.jpg

SW_009.jpg

Nice-looking Stringbag, Michael! I just got this beautiful kit myself so I'll be interested to see how the rigging goes. That's what really scares the **** out of me - the thought of rigging this.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

Thanks guys..

Jason, so far I haven't experienced anything too tricky with rigging it, other than that it throws a massive spanner in my usual workflow. For sanity reasons I'm (for now) omitting the cables for the rudder and elevator.

Edited by Michaelvk

Well... I learned a few things last night..

1: When rigging, fix the wires AFTER both wing levels are fixed..

2: Monofilament nylon loves superglue..

3: When tamiya acrylics decide to go tacky, they stay tacky..

Pics to follow..

Thanks.. Yeah, amongst others.. I started with a light overspray of very thinned buff, then tiny dots of white and naples yellow oils with the odd black dot, blended together, dusted back with some very thin dark sea grey, over that a blended wash of black.. Layers of matt coat went in-between those..

..forgot airbrushing on some Citadel badab black wash in places. It's great for shading.

Edited by Michaelvk