British United Airlines

• 2 weeks later...

Time to work on the wing fences. Firstly I cut a groove in the top surface of the wing.

011.jpg

Then I slid a piece of 15 thou plastic card into the groove.

012.jpg

I cut the plastic card to shape.

013.jpg

014.jpg

And here are the results for both wings.

015.jpg

The model dry fitted together with the aid of blutak.

016.jpg

I still need to work on the wings before final assembly. Most notably, I have to decide what I'm going to do with the wingtips.

Very nice work indeed. Did you know the dimensions of the wing fence or was it done on the back of a fag packet.

It's an approximation, taken from photographs and memories of staring at them for hours on end. :D

probably the best way ^

:)

(works for me so what can I say...?)

the wing tips - dont forget the wings have that leading edge extension as well as the tips needing some work

the wing tips - dont forget the wings have that leading edge extension as well as the tips needing some work

Haven't forgotten. It looks to me as though the tips have a sort of cylindrical "pod" which hangs below the tips and extends slightly forwards. Comments?

Edit: I've also noticed that the outer wing fence does not cover the full chord of the wing, as shown in the kit. So there's another modification which is required.

Edit Edit: :D Would I be correct in saying that the Super VC10 wing had a 4% extension to the chord from the root to the outer wng fence, giving it a leading edge kink about three quarters of the way along?

Edited by Enzo Matrix

Enzo

You would indeed be correct in that assertion. All the Supers and the RAF C.1s had the extended leading edge. Braz do these as a conversion.

Good luck with your build

Mark

Haven't forgotten. It looks to me as though the tips have a sort of cylindrical "pod" which hangs below the tips and extends slightly forwards. Comments?

Edit: I've also noticed that the outer wing fence does not cover the full chord of the wing, as shown in the kit. So there's another modification which is required.

Edit Edit: :D Would I be correct in saying that the Super VC10 wing had a 4% extension to the chord from the root to the outer wng fence, giving it a leading edge kink about three quarters of the way along?

Moving forward slowly. I cut down the outer wing fence so it is no longer full chord. I have split the wingtip and inserted a piece of 15 thou plastic card cut crudely to shape. The leading edge is a strip Microstrip. The leading edge and wingtip will be faired in with Milliput. I'm prepared for a lot of sanding to get the wingtip to a decently thin profile.

017.jpg

Nice work! Its quite confusing sorting out the various wing arrangements isn't it?

You're telling me!!! I originally intended this to be a quick and simple build straight from the box. But I'm OCD enough to be unable to ignore things when I find out about them. I'm not complaining about the extra work though. It's fun.

Nice work! Its quite confusing sorting out the various wing arrangements isn't it?

Martin

Try sorting out the differences between Boeing 707 types and sub-types..............................

Fun is what it's all about - you can build the airfix kit oob, stick any markings on and it will still look like a VC10.

That said, it is interesting to do the mods, and lets face it, the satisfaction from doing them is amazing.

Airfix have given us a good blank canvas to work on, which does help

• 1 month later...

I admit that it doesn't look very preposessing... but it's now all in one piece and for me it is coming alive. The white is Alclad2 white primer, which is superb as a top coat. Thanks for that recommendation, Mike! Of course, you can't see the white in this shot as it is all masked off! ;)

The grey is Lifecolor UA113 Grigio Azzurro Chiaro 1. Comments on the grey readily accepted.

It needs a couple more squirts of grey with some minor touchups on the white and it will be ready for the Klear treatment. Hopefully I'll get the greeblies sorted over this weekend and then it will be ready for decals next weekend. Can't wait! :yahoo:

018.jpg

Decals half done

021.jpg

The main markings are on. Tomorrow it's time for the windows and doors.

There is plenty of spare bits of blue and gold on the sheet, so I can patch up the area in front of the cockpit.