Westland Scout AH.1

wpc46e53ad_05_06.jpg

The Westland Scout entered service with the Army Air Corps and Royal Marines 3 Commando Brigade Air Squadron in 1963, serving right up until the mid 1990s. Similar in design to the Naval Wasp, but with a skid undercarriage and non-folding tail, the Scout saw operational service in Borneo, Aden, Oman, Rhodesia, Northern Ireland and the South Atlantic.

Twelve aircraft deployed to the Falkland Islands in 1982, six each with the Royal Marines (3 Cdo Bgde Air Sqn) and Army Air Corps (656 Sqn AAC).

Crown%20copyright.%20IWM%20(FKD%20317).j

Image Crown copyright. IWM (FKD 317)

Used for casevac, light transport, ammunition resupply and special forces insertions, they played a major part in the operation to recover the islands, including the firing of twelve SS.11 missiles by three Scouts (1xAAC, 2xRM) hovering 100m apart on the ridge overlooking Stanley Racecourse, which successfully destroyed a battery of 105mm Argentine howitzers, bunkers, an ammunition dump and command post.

:poppy: One Scout aircraft from 3 Cdo Bgde, Scout XT629, became the only Argentine air-to-air combat victory of the war when it was destroyed by cannon fire from 2 Pucaras north of Goose Green on 28th May 1982, resulting in the death of its pilot, Lt Nunn Royal Marines and resulting in severe injuries to his crewman.

DSC_0590.jpg

So what does the modeller with too many Harrier models already build as a Falklands 30th Anniversary build? A Westland Scout of course!

This is another underrated Airfix gem, albeit definitely one "in the rough"; it is still the only Scout kit out there and by no means easy to build. Indeed I would describe building it as "challenging". When it was more easily available there was a wide range of aftermarket parts for this kit, including several superb Wasp conversions in resin and white metal, resin engines, SS.11 missiles and vac-form canopies. The latter of these is sorely missed, as the kit part is not a very accurate shape and is almost impossible to fit well. I gave up on mine in the end, trimmed off the rear edges and used Krystal Clear PVA to fill the gaps - which actually looks like a good solution in retrospect! One of my lower front windows was missing too, so received the same treatment.

DSC_0572.jpg

The kit is a reasonably fast build as there are few parts, but it needs a considerable amount of care and is very definitely not one for the beginner. Many parts are difficult and fiddly to fit, particularly the skids, which are a complex assembly and extremely delicate in this scale. The exposed engine area is also rather malnourished looking, when compared with the marvellous resin engine alternatives and the rotor shaft is far too simplified - the real thing has a great many levers and struts.

DSC_0571.jpg

In view of their role, Scouts in the Falklands generally flew with their back doors removed, allowing easy loading and unloading. This is quite fortunate for the modeller, as later aircraft flew with bulged perspex rear doors that are very different to those supplied in the kit. Removing the doors looks like a difficult operation, but isn't as hard as it seems - I simply cut a large section out with a razor saw, then whittled away the rest with a sharp modelling knife. I briefly considered removing the front doors as well (as I did on my Wasp conversion), but decided this would really be pushing my luck!

To liven the model up a bit and bring it up to the Falklands era, I added several generic details from wire and sprue, including the upper roof sights, blade antenna on the nose, engine mundungus and some replacement exhaust pipes. I also had some left over photo-etch exhaust covers from my Wasp build, which were duly applied. Thicker seat squabs were fitted to improve the front cabin, along with simple seat belts.

Amazingly, this kit is not a tail sitter, although the stress of its own weight on the after skids doesn't bode well for transporting it to model shows and I may need to add some strengthening in due course! Decals are a mix from the spares box.

And finally, here she is with my Wasp model:

DSC_0594.jpg

Edited by gengriz
Fleeing from Photobucket
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

:wub:

What a fantastic build - and a fine little tribute for the Anniversary. Great work on a kit I remember building (badly) as s teenager although perhaps my skills weren't aligned to such a tricky build

What's the second image? (all I get is a black square)

It should be a picture of the real thing - works on mine - try a direct link:

http://www.gengriz.co.uk/images/2012%20ima...(FKD%20317).jpg

FredT :)

Edited by gengriz

great models both of them

well remember having fun with this kit back in the day

and not as successfully as you I might add

A great tribute too, well done G

makes me want to look round for one now :(

another one for my mistake habits list :)

b

Superb! I rode in the Wasp a couple of times when I was on Penelope. It was bloody awful! Scared! Beyond scared, even the pilot looked like he thought it was about to fall out of the sky! Good times. :D

Hi Gen, It's a little cracker, the Scout looks nice too! Thanks for sharing it with us. The little Arifix kit has stood the test of time and I don't think we will ever see another kit of this subject.

Colin on the Africa Station

Great build, I haven't seen this one anywhere before, now is added to my Malvinas/Falklands build list, congrats you did a great job and it's always a good idea to pay tribute to those who gave their lives for for what they believed was a greater purpose. By the way, can anyone tell me what does that red flower means?, I seen it quite a lot.

regards

By the way, can anyone tell me what does that red flower means?, I seen it quite a lot.

regards

Hi there - the flower is a poppy, used pretty universally amongst the former Commonwealth & Allied nations as a symbol of remembrance of all those who have given their lives in war. It originated in a a poem written by a Canadian Army doctor, Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, in May 1915 during WW1.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place: and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved, and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

WE SHALL NOT SLEEP,

THOUGH POPPIES GROW

IN FLANDERS FIELDS.

The poppy's colours are also sometimes expressed as black for the mud, red for the blood and green (the stalk), for the green fields beyond:

The French use a blue cornflower "le Bleuet" in a similar way

Edited by gengriz

Very nice models, just one point though, the blades on the Scout are on backwards. Should rotate anti-clockwise when viewed from above. Sorry to be picky!

Ooooops. :oops:

Do you know I have absolutely no idea how I have managed that. Suspect the entire hub must be upside down. Should be easily fixed.

FredT :)

• 3 years later...
On 20/04/2012 at 20:59, gengriz said:
wpc46e53ad_05_06.jpg

DSC_0590.jpg

So what does the modeller with too many Harrier models already build as a Falklands 30th Anniversary build? A Westland Scout of course!

DSC_0572.jpg

T

DSC_0571.jpg

Hi Gengriz,

I have recently bought a Scout kit and plan to paint it in the same 1980's scheme as your beautiful build.  Can you advise me which green you used back then to get that authentic looking effect?  I use acrylics but if you used enamels then at least I should be able to determine the acrylic equivalent.

cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike.  Two choices and after 8 years, I'm not sure which, but I'm reasonably consistent, so:. 

It is enamel, definitely.  Either Humbrol 163 (which would be my bet), or Revell 68.  Since I tend to use the latter for vehicles only, I suspect its the 163. 

HTH

FredT

• Thanks 1