RAF Vickers VC-10 K2

I have run into a new problem. When using the kit decals for the walways on the wings and tailplane they are roughly the same colour as the one that I have used to paint these areas and have almost disappeared. Although I do not have a above picture of a tanker VC-10, I am wondering are the walkway colour like Nimrods walkways that I worked on many years ago and are in fact yellow in colour? Help is at the essence.

Jabba

There's a reasonably good top side photo of a hemp/LAG VC-10 K.3 (ZA148/G) on the cover of 'Flying Tankers' by Tim Laming. That clearly shows that the walkways on this scheme are golden yellow (not the lighter lemon yellow sometimes seen on Canberras etc).

Good luck with the build, the finishing line approacheth!

Mark

I have run into a new problem. When using the kit decals for the walways on the wings and tailplane they are roughly the same colour as the one that I have used to paint these areas and have almost disappeared. Although I do not have a above picture of a tanker VC-10, I am wondering are the walkway colour like Nimrods walkways that I worked on many years ago and are in fact yellow in colour? Help is at the essence.

Jabba

There's a reasonably good top side photo of a hemp/LAG VC-10 K.3 (ZA148/G) on the cover of 'Flying Tankers' by Tim Laming. That clearly shows that the walkways on this scheme are golden yellow (not the lighter lemon yellow sometimes seen on Canberras etc).

Good luck with the build, the finishing line approacheth!

Mark

Thanks for the info Mark. I have had a look at the photo and I see what you mean. Mine still seem to fade into the paint scheme, but I will continue with the other side and see how it looks after matt varnishing the model at the end. At least now I don't have to but the F-Dcal sheet for the K2, which I thought that I might.

sorted :) ^

I guess you will be the first to finish so keep calm and keep building

Sorted yes, but still a long way to go yet.

I ave almost finished decalling this one. I have used some of the stencilling from the kit sheet and some from the spare K3 sheet that I had. I am not sure if the K3 stuff is quite accurate, but it will do for me. Mind you I don't think that I have put some many stencils on a 1/72nd model, let alone a 1/144th one and there are still the re-fuelling pods to be done. Hopefully I will have some photos this weekend of my progress.

Here are some photos of my progress. All the decals apart from the ones on the refuelling pods are now fitted. I will be applying a sealing coat of Klear and then doing some weathering. Any comments good or bad are gratefully received.

VC-10033.jpg

VC-10039.jpg

VC-10040.jpg

VC-10041.jpg

VC-10042.jpg

VC-10043.jpg

you will be first over the finishing line

There is always some one coming up on the side that you cannot see.

Edited by Jabba

Refuelling pods have been painted and given a coat of Klear, so it is on with the decals for these. I have been doing some weathering manl around the engines. A question, where else does a VC-10 get dirty. Also the photo that I have of ZA144 shows a couple of streaks of something going down the fin, rather than flowing with the airstream, is it me or is this a bit odd? Anyway a little more will be done tonight.

Edited by Jabba

Refuelling pods have now had their decals applied, and will be fitted tonight. I have also found a picture of ZA144 in the Gulf War timescale showing the undersides and fin. The fin does not have the streak that I mentioned above, so it will not be added. So a little bit more weathering to do then I shall apply a coat or two of matt varnish.

Second coat of varnish has been applied. I have also added the wheels, plus I have painted the aerials and refulling baskets which will be added tonight. I have also painted up some off cuts of thin plasti-card to act as replacement U/C doors to be hopefully fitted tomorrow.

This project is now finished with photos in the completed models section. I will post some more photos here, but I have had enough of Photobucket at the moment. Any comment or criticisms are very welcome.

Refuelling pods have been painted and given a coat of Klear, so it is on with the decals for these. I have been doing some weathering manl around the engines. A question, where else does a VC-10 get dirty. Also the photo that I have of ZA144 shows a couple of streaks of something going down the fin, rather than flowing with the airstream, is it me or is this a bit odd? Anyway a little more will be done tonight.

Jabba

The fin vertical streaks are just caused by water entering the fin root and rudder PFCU areas collecting dirt in the form of Skydrol etc and just running down the fin.

The underside of the nacelles was always dirty with any oil in the bottom of the cowlings staining the underside, it was one of the BF jobs.....cowling clean.

There was always a dark steak going back from the cabin compressor exhaust on the top forward of the cowlings, on the odd occasion a real dirty streak which together with low oil indicated a forthcoming cabin compressor change...

Mike