Revell Tornado GR1 1:144 - update 15-11 the mighty FINished

Neal

So this is my next project:

photo-112.jpg

I really enjoyed building the revell 1:144 tomcat as part of the group build even though it was the (very) old mould, so I thought I try one of their newer kits. 

First impressions are excellent, there's no flash that I can find and the moulding is amazingly crisp. 

I think this will be pretty much OOB, although I'm not sure whether to have this in flight possibly releasing one of the LGB's or on the ground, refuelling probe out, with the canopy open.

Edited by Neal

Look forward to this one Neal.

Canopy/Refuel Probe Open! Insane for this scale.

Adrian

Adrian,

I'll see what we can do……

Couple of hours progress. 

photo-113.jpg

Fitted the cockpit together and have given it a coat of paint, I've just had a look at the cockpit decals and realised that they're going to be pretty tricky to fit with the ip in place. 

Started to paint the ejection seats, may try and add some tape harnesses and the grab handle. 

The main body has gone together really well, the fit is excellent. I've left off the tail planes to aid painting. 

The main wings seem to have way too much anhedral so I may try and fix the with some packing inside the body.

Hi Neil, great start buddy! I'll be watching this with eyes wide open, need to know how your going to do the refuelling probe as I'm doing a in flight diorama for the VC-10 GB

Chris,

There is a great solution to that particular modelling conundrum; revell include the parts to model the probe open or retracted, think it'd drive me mad trying scratch one!

I'll have a look at the GB and look forward to seeing how you get on with a great idea for a dio

Edited by Neal

The plan was to be completely OOB, but plans can change can't they?

Found these online, so ordered a set to save me making the sensor, it'll be interesting to see what they're like. 

http://www.retrokitonline.com/index.php?ma...p;products_id=7

Think I'm now settled on a ground display a bit like this:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Pa...ebb0acbbea2d3ca

Just need to find some 1/144 RBF tags and LGB's.....

The plans don't call for any nose weight, but does anyone know whether any is needed?

I have made the ECR and IDS versions of this kit and added a little nose weight to both just to make sure that I didn't end up with tail sitters. I didn't have the courage to raise the canopy on either, though I may give it a go on my GR1 when I see your progress.

I have made the ECR and IDS versions of this kit and added a little nose weight to both just to make sure that I didn't end up with tail sitters. I didn't have the courage to raise the canopy on either, though I may give it a go on my GR1 when I see your progress.

Thanks for the tip.

Managed to get the cockpit decals on eventually, the IP ones were pretty tricky until I realised that they'd go on a lot easier if they were cut vertically into their constituent parts

photo-114.jpg

Cockpit still needs some paint and tidying up. 

Seem to have lost one of the ejection seats so may have to scratch one of those, or find someone with a spare.

John,

PM inbound

Graham,

I really enjoyed the Tomcat GB, seeing what other people achieved in this scale. I Don't think I could face doing the slats and flaps on this though.

Gents,

Thanks for the comments. 

No progress worthy of a photo. Gave the cockpit decals a coat of klear to fix them down, two of them had come loose, but thankfully I'd put the cockpit tub in a bag so they were found and re-attached. 

I'm now wondering about adding some electrical harness's and pipe work to the cockpit but I've not yet managed to find a clear picture to work from.  I was also thinking about whether a throttle is possible at this scale……

Andy, Mctrl87,

Glad you're enjoying it, I can't take all the credit though the kit has plenty of detail already.

After two attempts with plasticard and stretched sprue I got something that looked like a throttle set. 

I've also added the black angled level (can't remember what it's for) behind the throttles. 

photo-115.jpg

photo-116.jpg

Appologies for the quality of the pictures. Interestingly the flash seems to have shown up loads of flaws in the paint that aren't apparent to naked eye.

Edited by Neal

That's coming along nicely Neal.

Interestingly the flash seems to have shown up loads of flaws in the paint that aren't apparent to naked eye.

Interestingly enough, that's a comment I often pass to SWMBO whenever I take her photograph. :lol:

John, very funny.

A set of resin seats have arrived today from retrokits (www.retrokitonline.com) they look really good I was surprised to see that they've even managed to mould ejection handles.  I've never worked with resin parts so I need to do some research, hopefully I can do them justice. 

photo-117.jpg

Thanks for all the kind comments and help. 

Not much to show, but some progress:

Change of plan on the load, I'm not going to use the LGB's (they might go on a future F-14D build) instead I'm painted up the bombs in the kit (1000lb'ers I assume) in the olive and blue for the training (?) rounds  this aircraft is carrying:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Pa...ebb0acbbea2d3ca

Coat of matt klear and a dose of pro modeller's wash and a bit of dry brushing and I think the tub is pretty much complete. 

Painted the inside of the wheel wells, UC and gear doors. I've added the distinctive landing lights to the main UC doors using some stretched sprue.  I've used tamiya XF80 which looks a pretty close match to me, I've also used it on the inside of the intakes.

Cleaned up the resin seats and gave them a lick of paint to show up the detail, going to need some smaller brushes and better eyes to do the detailed paint work. Finished by starting on the hindenburg's. 

photo-118.jpg

Edited by Neal

Great job Neal. Those seats have cleaned up really well and look fantastic painted up. :thumbsup2: I hope that mine turn out as well, I haven't planned to put as much detail in a kit of this scale before.

Great job Neal. Those seats have cleaned up really well and look fantastic painted up. :thumbsup2:  I hope that mine turn out as well, I haven't planned to put as much detail in a kit of this scale before.

Cheers John, the kit detail is great given size. I hadn't planned to do much to it either but there's loads of potential. 

Whoa.. THose seats are mad tiny! You're a brave man..

Michaelvk, thanks. 

The seats are great value, I'd forgotten how small they were until I had a look at them again last night. 

Hopefully I can find some time to make some progress this weekend, I want to get the seats in and the tub finished then I can get the front section closed up and attached. 

Was thinking about trying some intake covers although I've never tried them I'm assuming some tin foil over the intakes is the best way to do it?

Edited by Neal