Mew Gull G-AEXF - Henshaw

rossm

I've just got the Kiwi Resin 1/72 kit which is for G-AFAA, the slightly smaller span aircraft used by Percival himself. I found some plans on t'interweb, coincidentally the same ones in with the kit, which are for the longer span version as used by Henshaw. I have some wings in the spares box I can cut down and the fuselage is close enough not to notice so the model can be made to represent G-AEXF as it was in 1937 before it was heavily modified and eventually used for the Cape flight. I want to model it as used in the 1937 Devon Air Race per this Flight article page1 and Page 2 with Henshaw photo.

Some questions, please, what was the interior colour (or most likely one if there is no hard information) and was the external colour white or off-white ? If off-white then with what tint ? Also, are there clear photos of the exhaust (?) under the cowling ?

And one "wanted" - does anyone have the lettering for G-AEXF in the correct sizes please. A hi-res scan would be enough as they were in racing green for the 1937 season if I interpret "The Flight of the Mew Gull" correctly so I will almost certainly have to print my own. I can obviously swap G-AFAA decals if needed.

Another "wanted" - one propeller from Aeroclub P008 2xMew Gull propellers if anyone has a spare please as the kit one is almost unusable.

Thanks in advance,

Ross

• 8 years later...

Reviving this topic as the potential GB for racers and show offs has rekindled my interest.

Over the intervening years I got hold of Bent Throttles 39 and reduced the plans from 1/48 to 1/72. I also got some Aeroclub bits including the prop but there remains a lot of work to get the fundamentals right.

Measurement suggests the Kiwi fuselage is 3mm too short for G-AEXF in 1937, mostly in the engine area. I also have an Airframe vacform which is maybe 2.5mm too short. Both have the short wings of G-AFAA.

Neither kit has the wing fillets and fairings. I have some Pioneer2 Yak-15 wings which have roughly the correct shape wingtips and ailerons but need the leading edge cutting back drastically as well as the span reducing. Alternatively the Kiwi wings could have new sections inserted at the root as they are the correct shape for the outer portion.

So a lot of work for the wings and no obvious way to fix the fuselage.

Has a new 1/72 kit come along in the last 8 years? (I haven't seen one but could easily have missed it).

15 minutes ago, rossm said:

Has a new 1/72 kit come along in the last 8 years? (I haven't seen one but could easily have missed it).

Dekno have a nice little resin kit of G-AFAA https://deknomodels.com/en/scale-model-kits-of-air-racing-aircraft/5-percival-p6-mew-gull-e3h.html

Oldmodel Decals have done decals for  G-AEXF in 1:48 and 1:72 https://www.scalemates.com/kits/oldmodels-decals-omd0522-percival-mew-gull-g-aexf-final-scheme--1260882

1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

Sadly the Dekno kit is the same later version (E3H) as the others. G-AEXF was a model E2H which was larger. Thanks for the note on the decals.