P-40 wreck in Sahara

Mustango70

This thread seems to have turned ugly, which is quite against the spirit we have here at Britmodeller. Calm down and grow up please, and let's back to the point in hand.

Hood, I think the other reason why this P-40 is particularly special (apart from the "time capsule" argument) is that RAF/Commonwealth P-40s from the desert campaign are extremely rare (this one may even be unique). As far as I'm aware, 99% of all the P-40s extant today have been recovered and pieced together from Pacific wrecks. To have an example of the this aircraft from perhaps its most famous and important campaign, in (initially, at least) such amazing condition, makes it a very special find.

Can't help but wonder what else is sat out there in the desert waiting to be found!

Mike

Given that the sands continually shift with the winds then I would imagine that lost and forgotten wartime equipment from complete aircraft and vehicles to packs and tinned rations are probably peeping in and out of view all the time - it just needs someone to be in the right place and time to spot them.

David.

Some of the peek-a-boo finds may include unexploded land-mines as well...collectors beware...!!

Some of the peek-a-boo finds may include unexploded land-mines as well...collectors beware...!!

I remember reading somewhere that Egypt has more buried landmines than any other country.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

In the current Classic Aircraft mag, there is coverage of this P-40 and a new photo(to me at least). It is interesting to see how, on the frontal portions of the aircraft, the dark earth paint has eroded away and mid stone remained and how the demarkation shows up well.

The following write up ends with comments as to how, who and where it will end up. Makes trepidating reading.

One of our local club members spoke to someone he knows at Hendon, they are on to the retrieval, but are worried about souvenir hunters now it's on the net.

I'm not giving out any details here, but Hendon have leads on other wrecks in the desert. Security is paramount here to prevent compromise.