"MiG" (F-84F) from "The Hunters" and Airwolf

JMChladek

Okay, after much internal debate as to whether or not I wanted to build a spacecraft or something else, I've finally come up with a subject to build, hopefully in quick fashion so I can THEN move onto doing something spacecraft related. If anyone remembers the Robert Mitchum film "The Hunters" it featured F-86Fs in Korea taking on Chinese "MiGs" which were really repainted Republic F-84F Thunderstreaks.

http://hyperscale.com/2010/features/thehuntersjh_1.htm

In my case, I've never seen the film, but the Hyperscale article had me wanting to do a model of a MiG Thunderstreak since the stock footage of the MiGs from this film and the F-100s from the movie "Skyjacked" were utilized heavily in dogfight scenes from the television show "Airwolf" in the 1980s.

The kit I will be utilizing is an Airfix 1/72 kit (1970s boxing). This will be a gear up model on a stand, in case I decide to put it on a diorama base later with either an F-86F-40 or an Airwolf model (slight complication as all the Airwolf kits are 1/48, but a forced perspective diorama is possible). I don't know if I will try to do the lead MiG as flown by "Casey Jones" with his 7-11 nose art or not as this will more than likely be just a typical generic bad guy MiG (equivalent to a Star Trek red shirt).

Interesting choice. The Hunters is an enjoyable film, and the aerial scenes are fun; I highly recommend watching it!

I would definitely go with the '7-11' subject as the other 'MiGs' are in a very dull overall light grey; at least with '7-11' it has some interest with the red.

I'll be watching this one with interest! :popcorn:

Mike

Welcome to the GB am also looking forward to seeing 7-11 take shape if you pick that... and also keen to see the space project if you go for the whif 2001 spacecraft you had hinted at as and when you find time for it.

Good luck

Graham

Welcome to the GB am also looking forward to seeing 7-11 take shape if you pick that... and also keen to see the space project if you go for the whif 2001 spacecraft you had hinted at as and when you find time for it.

Good luck

Graham

Well, I may end up doing the Braniff 2001 Orion as well if it gets approved. Or I may just press ahead on that as an "unofficial" GB entry in this sub-forum and just not leave it up for voting when the time comes (yet still get it done). I do at least one to get a couple quickie projects finished and a 1/72 Airfix Thunderstreak painted gray instead of natural metal seems right up my alley. Both models are likely going to be more painting and decalling exercises than anything else.