Although this looks like a late entry, I have in fact been working on it since the start of the groupbuild. However, my rate of build is glacially slow, especially when I have a number of builds on the go at once. Anyhow, I'm now at a point where I can put up some photos.

I am using the Tamiya 1/48 FW190A-3 kit and the EagleCals EC-128 sheet to represent an A-2 in the original Battle of Britain style scheme.

This is an FW190A-2 of 9/JG2 flown by Fw Kurt Nowak during the spring of 1942. At had been delivered in the original scheme of 02/71 uppersurfaces with 65 lowersurfaces and was still in this scheme in 1942, which was quite late.

Additional aftermarket stuff includes a resin seat by SBS model and the Eduard Zoom PE set.

001.jpg

Edited by Enzo Matrix

Right then... here are the parts from the kit

004.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

And a closer look at the aftermarket.

002.jpg

After I had started the build, I decided to use a set of turned brass guns from Master. These are not shown here yet.

The kit is typical Tamiya. I had never built one before but I had built Tamiya's FW-190D. That kit just sort of fell together so I expected no problems with this one. That turned out to be the case. :)

Edited by Enzo Matrix

I started off with the wings - just for a change. :)

The gun muzzles and pitot tube are moulded into the wing lowersurface. I thought that there wasn't a catinell's chance of these surviving the building process, so I got rid of them! The process is only partly completed...

The gear bays were painted with Lifecolor UA504 RLM 02. Details were washed over with Tamiya Smoke and the whole thing was drybrushed with silver. The gun barrels were also painted with Citadel Chainmail silver.

006.jpg

Cockpit pretty much completed. The seat is by SBS Resin. Instrument panel and side consoles from the Eduard Zoom etch. Painted with Lifecoloe UA133 RLM 66 which is quite a good match for the grey that Eduard used in their PE set.

Wish I'd taken this photo on a brighter day! :wall:

007.jpg

The fuselage closed up, showing the cockpit. The seat won't be fitted until after painting is complete. The wings have not been cemented in place, which is why there appears to be a big gap at the wingroot.

009.jpg

Now the wings have been cemented in place! No filler required - as expected! The cowling is held in place with Blutak.

Ready for priming.

008.jpg

Edited by Enzo Matrix

So... cockpit and gear bays masked off and the whole think has been primed with Alclad2 grey primer.

For years I have been using grey car primer from a rattle can. It was fine when the primer was cellulose but in recent years auto paint companies have moved away from solvent based paints to acrylics. This has meant that I have had problems with the primer itself lifting when removing masking tape - the very thing that primer is supposed to prevent! :wall:

After some recommendations on Britmodeller, I decided to try the Alclad2 primer, which is lacquer based. I'm a convert! Applied with an airbrush, it provides a superbly smooth finish. In fact, so smooth is the finish that it requires the modeller to take more care preparing the plastic surface because any flaw is highlighted.

And most importantly, it doesn't lift with masking tape. :yahoo:

010.jpg

011.jpg

And here is the model sprayed up, with a certain amount of detail painting completed. Tailplanes and cowling held in with Blutak.

Paints used were all Lifecolor. UA504 RLM 02 Grau, UA502 RLM 71 Dunkelgrun, UA503 RLM 65 Hellblau and UA140 RLM 04 Gelb

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

And it is ready for a Klear coat and decals. The decals are actually on. Photos at the weekend.

Cracking progress Enzo.

You'll have it finished by the weekend then? :)

Well... weekend after next! Maybe... :) Just remember that what you have seen today is actually ten weeks of progress!

I am always in awe of those who can build a model in a couple of weeks.

016.jpg

Not quite finished. Another thin coat of flat varnish to take the shine of some stencil decals and then bung the canopy on. Another fifteen minutes' work maybe. Hopefully the final pictures will be up on Friday. That'll be me sneaking in under the wire as usual! :D