Airfix Mini Cooper - 1/32

I was at the Hornchurch model show a couple of weeks back and saw this new release from Airfix and as I have a big soft spot for the new MINI I really had no choice but to buy one

(well 3 actually, I got the other two off eBay £8 each)

AFX001.jpg

I have set about a quick OOB build and I hope you won't mind if I post some of my progress...

OK... here are the contents. The wheels and tyres are moulded as a single piece (the same as on the Aston DBR9 kits) and the body has all it's details moulded on so careful masking is required. At 1/32 it is on the small side.

AFX002.jpg

AFX003.jpg

I have not chosen to add a colour to the interior (on this build) so basic black with some silver highlights.

AFX004.jpg

Here are those nasty wheels after painting...

AFX005.jpg

And the dash...

AFX006.jpg

I've undercoated the shell and masked and painted the gloss white roof...

AFX007.jpg

I painted the trim and added the roof decal

AFX010.jpg

Body painted... I opted to spray on the cooper bonnet stripes as the decal ones are too short.

AFX013.jpg

AFX014.jpg

AFX015.jpg

Very nice, Im building one of theses that came in for review, Ive a second on order from my LMS for conversion!

Its a nice kit, but as I said in the review, shame about the wheels and tyres. Some more detail on these bits would be great!

I got two kits on eBay £8 each... I agree on the wheels, Ive not found any images of a Mini with those wheels except some cutaway artwork drawings, so I'm not sure where Airfix did their research.

But I was thinking as the scale is slot car scale I looked to see what was available and got these...

AFX011.jpg

AFX012.jpg

Also I saw the walkaround photos for the MINI but they are not for this model, but I tried to post some more that would be closer to the kit but it would not let me post in that section.

Also I saw the walkaround photos for the MINI but they are not for this model, but I tried to post some more that would be closer to the kit but it would not let me post in that section.

Hi,

If you read the intro at the head of the page they can only be posted by Myself as the Walkaround Co-ordinator. Rich also posts as a help to myself.

If you have any pics you would like to share then please get in touch and I will get them added. The pics must be yours, or ones you have permission to use.

Thanks

Julien

• 3 months later...

Hi Sean, love the work and hopefully I'll get round to building mine soon.

Just a bit of info that might help everyone. I currently work for MINI UK so this could answer some questions.

First, the wheels in the kit are correct wheels. On the R56, you can spec the car with anything that can be added at the factory. The wheels included are optional extras from the dealers- I have some in our parts dept. Btw they're 16" alloys.

Also, if you want to spec your MINI completely, if you go to MINI.co.uk you can build a MINI to your own spec and colours inside and out! So if you want 1/2 leather in toffee with the bottom of the dash and door arm rests in red you can!!! But it'll look very wrong!!!! Lol. Just be aware Airfix used a pre 2010 car when doing interior colour shout outs.

Hope this helps a little, give me a shout if anyone needs more info!!

Hello and :post1:

Ive built one OOB and its a very nice kit, and TBH I should thank the MINI dealer in Stafford as I popped in and spoke to a very nice lady in sales that was happy to help answer my questions on a model kit!

I was amazed at the options on the real car! I suspect most MINIs are one offs!