Airfix 1/48 Lynx ...problem with the blades?

jenko

Have opened both of my Lynx (Army and Navy) and there seems to be a very slight "kink" going across all the blades. This also is apparent on 3 kits belonging to other club members. Is this a fault or is it like it is as I have seen no mention of it in any magazine or mentioned on here.

Would be interested what others have to say on this.

It's on my AH.7 blades, if you run your fingers down each side of the blades it's very apparent. Should be easy to fix

if you read lynx7 posts , the kink is in fact correct, the blades do have a lateral twist

rogerd

I think Airfix should be congratulated for picking up such a small detail, they could have quite easilly glossed over it. It shows the level of detail and research that they went to. Now all we have to do is not complain, get on and build them and then write to Airfix and say how pleaeds we are and tell them you bought lots.

Four for me so far.

Colin on the Africa Staion

I think Airfix should be congratulated for picking up such a small detail, they could have quite easilly glossed over it. It shows the level of detail and research that they went to. Now all we have to do is not complain, get on and build them and then write to Airfix and say how pleaeds we are and tell them you bought lots.

Four for me so far.

Colin on the Africa Staion

Couldn't agree more !!! Best kit so far .... and probably kit of the year.

Lynx's usual brilliant information based on constant observation. Magic

I am definitely going to go 1/48 with this great basis for a good model, Airfix have raised the bar by a lot.

Thanks for all your work on these for us

er, should it really have all those washers under that castellated nut? EEK!

:thumbsup:

:)

Here ya go :D

6933823278_0fb36ecf7b_c.jpg

7079896001_5935c73783_c.jpg

Thanks for clearing that up can move on now. Can you give measurement of the leading edge silver strip, Airfix decal is right along the leading edge & wrong colour but it finishes before the inner blade end. It is 45* angle ? need measurement from inner blade to front silver section & inner blade to rear section of silver ,so can make up a mask which we are producing within our club . Thanks No7 Len

It truly is a brilliant kit, I've already brought both and am just waiting for Eduard to bring out some etch for the bits I'm too lazy to make in plastic before I break into mine...but can i wait much longer???

Genuinely grateful that Airfix waited this long to produce the kit so that the technology matches our aspirations, bring on the Merlin(s) I can't wait for a 1/48 Navy version.

Cheers

Col'

bring on the Merlin(s) I can't wait for a 1/48 Navy version.

Airfix are only doing the RAF version of the Merlin. I asked about the HM.1 at Telford and they said that although they have all the information from AgustaWestland, it would require almost a complete re-tool to do it. They didn't rule out possibly doing it in the future, but at the moment they aren't doing it.

Airfix are only doing the RAF version of the Merlin. I asked about the HM.1 at Telford and they said that although they have all the information from AgustaWestland, it would require almost a complete re-tool to do it. They didn't rule out possibly doing it in the future, but at the moment they aren't doing it.

That's ok, as the RAF Merlins will soon be under Naval control anyway. :D Can't wait to do one in 846 colours.

Have opened both of my Lynx (Army and Navy) and there seems to be a very slight "kink" going across all the blades. This also is apparent on 3 kits belonging to other club members. Is this a fault or is it like it is as I have seen no mention of it in any magazine or mentioned on here.

Would be interested what others have to say on this.

My army version seems ok

Can you explain more what you mean by kink?

My army version seems ok

Can you explain more what you mean by kink?

View what Lynx7 has posted on page 1 ( post no. 8 )and all will become clear. It is NOT a molding fault.....Airfix have got it spot on. But to a simplton like me it looks like a fault. As I know very little about the Lynx.

Edited by jenko

Lynx's usual brilliant information based on constant observation. Magic

I am definitely going to go 1/48 with this great basis for a good model, Airfix have raised the bar by a lot.

Thanks for all your work on these for us

er, should it really have all those washers under that castellated nut? EEK!

:thumbsup:

:)

Thanks.

Yep, the washers ARE the balance weights. Quite disconcerting seeing each blade fitted with what looks like different sizes and amounts and looking like theyve been found in the FOD bin......

It truly is a brilliant kit, I've already brought both and am just waiting for Eduard to bring out some etch for the bits I'm too lazy to make in plastic before I break into mine...but can i wait much longer???

Its not just Eduard that do aftermarket stuff ya know ;) Patience, patience!!

Can you give measurement of the leading edge silver strip, Airfix decal is right along the leading edge & wrong colour but it finishes before the inner blade end. It is 45* angle ? need measurement from inner blade to front silver section & inner blade to rear section of silver ,so can make up a mask which we are producing within our club

If you use the Airfix colour painting guide in the instructions, the diagram represents the thickness accurately. The drawing isnt quite 1/48 scale so you'll have to do some scale up calculations. To get the appropriate angle for the inner end, I simply place some 10mm tamiya tape and ensure it is the same angle as trailing edge angle and runs along the angled edge. It ensures all blades are the same. The colour painting guide shows the strip running all the way down to the blade attachment. It doesnt. Hopefully the pic below shows what I mean. Do it for top and bottom.

7091483039_48c553dcb8_c.jpg

Thanks.

Yep, the washers ARE the balance weights. Quite disconcerting seeing each blade fitted with what looks like different sizes and amounts and looking like theyve been found in the FOD bin......

Its not just Eduard that do aftermarket stuff ya know ;) Patience, patience!!

If you use the Airfix colour painting guide in the instructions, the diagram represents the thickness accurately. The drawing isnt quite 1/48 scale so you'll have to do some scale up calculations. To get the appropriate angle for the inner end, I simply place some 10mm tamiya tape and ensure it is the same angle as trailing edge angle and runs along the angled edge. It ensures all blades are the same. The colour painting guide shows the strip running all the way down to the blade attachment. It doesnt. Hopefully the pic below shows what I mean. Do it for top and bottom.

7091483039_48c553dcb8_c.jpg

Thanks Lynx 7 that is very useful ,can make masks now to get this part right. Keep up the good work very interesting subject Regards Len