20 Spitfires Gifted to the UK from Burma!

tonyot

Just heard on the ITV News (groan....I know!) that David Cameron (our esteemed leader and PM!) has secured the release of 20 Spitfires from Burma which have been hidden underground since WW2! Cannot wait to hear the true story!

Are these really ex RAF Spitfires or are they survivors from the ex Czech, ex Israeli Spits and ex RN Seafire XV`s used by the Burmese AF in the 50`s?

Surely the current RAF isn`t in such a position that it has to ask for a squadron of Spitfires from Burma in order to supplement the air cover for the forthcoming Olympics!!

Cheers

Tony O

This could be brilliant news - intrigued to hear what/where/when! :)

And I, for one, am delighted/hoping to see the opening up of Burma - fingers crossed that current developments there continue for the benefit of the Burmese people...

Iain

According to Air Britain's Spitfire International, Burma received:

- 3 Spitfire XVIIIs from ACSEA stocks

- 20 denavalised Seafire XVs from Vickers Armstrongs (serials UB401-UB420); and

- 30 Spitfire LF.IXes from Israel (serials UB421-450) of which only 29 ever reached Burma.

Of that 53, 4 are on display in Burma and 4 were sold abroad via the USA in 1999. Looks as if they are likely to be denavalised Seafire XVs or ex-Israeli Spitfire IXs.

Why is everyone calling it Burma?

Because some of us are still stuck in the days of Empire - and it sounds so much better than Republic of the Union of Myanmar... :)

But - good point - well made :)

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

The change of name to Myanmar wasn't officially recognised by the US or the UK, or - IIRC - a number of other nations. The British and American governments were told - and accepted - that the demoncracy movement preferred the use of Burma, since they argued that the government which changed the name did so without any legitimate authority. The refusal by London and Washington to use the 'new' name (Myanmar is the formal, literary name while Burma is the one in colloquial daily use, IIRC) was a sign of support for the pro-democracy movement.

Back to the Spitfires/Seafires - used to sustain BBMF, off to museums, or nabbed by the Treasury to be sold off to warbird restorers to bring some money into the coffers, I wonder?

Fair enough I guess but I wouldn't expect the BBC to report that the PM had made a visit to Rhodesia when (if) he made a visit to Zimbabwe.

Still as for the Spitfires, I'd think that even if half of the reported haul are only good for spare parts it would still be amazing.

• Like 1

Are these really ex RAF Spitfires or are they survivors from the ex Czech, ex Israeli Spits and ex RN Seafire XV`s used by the Burmese AF in the 50`s?

Apparently not the latter: see this from the Daily Express:

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/314434...red-from-jungle

RAF Spitfire components buried in 1945 to stop them falling into Japanese hands. Hmm!

I'm sure that there is absolutely no truth in the rumour that outstanding Typhoon orders will be reduced by one for each Spitfire recovered.

amusing to note the Express says "Of some 21,000 Spitfires built by Britain during the Second World War only about 35 are left." while the Guardian makes the more accurate comment that only 35 are still flying....

be interesing if they do find them.

RAF Spitfire components buried in 1945 to stop them falling into Japanese hands. Hmm!

Did they really think in 1945 , that the Japanese would be coming back ?

I think we need to wait and see what turns up. We know what a bunch of hacks we have reporting for the 'free press'!

Maybe I'll get my chance now! :pilot:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/a...11334355015916A

Then there's this, check the date.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=23954

Edited by bentwaters81tfw

While the news of the discovery, and indeed the recovery, of a number of Spitfires is obviously good to hear, I can't help thining that there must be more pressing/important things for the PM to be getting involved in.

Maybe DC is a Spitfire fan, and/or secret plastic fettler?

While the news of the discovery, and indeed the recovery, of a number of Spitfires is obviously good to hear, I can't help thining that there must be more pressing/important things for the PM to be getting involved in.

Maybe DC is a Spitfire fan, and/or secret plastic fettler?

im have to agree this must have being put before him before any meetings im surprised that its considered serouis enough to warrant the hm govt intervention

BURMA.......Be Undressed and Ready, My Angel! (1950s Valentine greeting apparently)

Richard McC

I still prefer "Norwich" (kNikers Off Ready When I Come Home).

Wow, this is nearly enough to equip an entire squadron with the OCU. Defence cuts? What defence cuts?!

Now if they could just turn up the ones "buried in Australia"....

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/a...x-1225995654752

Hey I used to live in Oakey and day dream of falling down a hole and ending up in an underground hanger full of stored Spitfires and Mosquitoes and Lancaster or 2 and on my way down the whole would pass through a thing that would give me all the info I needed to fly them in an instant..............what............ I was 10 or 11 years old, you're allowed to think such things at that age.

I didn't realize that there was a squadron of Mk XIV's in Australia in WW2, is it true?:)

and up to 20 Spitfires from Burma (I like the 50's Valintine version).........awesome.