Tamiya Alpine A110 - Monte Carlo Rally 1971

Just finished this one - thought you might like to see it - may have rushed it in the end tho' :hmm:

It's the Tamiya 1/24 kit, 1971 Monte Carlo Rally edition and it's a little beauty of a kit and of a true giant toppling classic race car, taking as it did a clean sweep of the podium with a 1-2-3 finish against the 911s from Porsche. Not bad for a 4cylinder 1600 with the engine behind the rear axle!

Anyway, it's OOB with just the addition of some ignition wires and a couple of racing harnesses courtesy of ST27. Had no references for belts so it's all guess work in there.

Otherwise, Zero Paints Alpine A110 Blue (seen previously on my AC Cobra) with their one pack lacquer (no polishing) and some careful masking of Alclad Chrome for the bumpers, window surrounds and the coachline down the side. Other "chromed" parts in the kit were stripped and Alcladded (if that's a verb!?!).

Well enough ramble, here's the pics. Hope you like.

As usual all comments and criticism welcome equally!

Thanks for looking.

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

See you in Hanslope on Sunday if you're there

cheers

Rick

Edited by Spad

[Wish I could build cars like that!!

Iain]

Thanks Chaps

Iain, I'll bet you can - and better - I've seen your work with the airyplanes! Go on, give it a go! You can even get 1/32 scale - from Airfix! :wicked:

Rick

That's great Rick. :)

What kit is it? I made a 1/20 Bandai 'civvy' version a couple of years back, but it doesn't look to be the same kit?

Cheers

Cliff

it's the Tamiya 1/24 kit

cheers

Rick

Thanks Rick - you've inspired me to dust off (literally!) my old BandaiAlpine and maybe post a few pics later for comparison.

Cheers

Cliff

what a lovely build, always had a soft spot for the alpines. Beautiful, thanks for sharing

Zero Paints ........one pack lacquer (no polishing)

Really?? What's your secret? Mine always has more orange peel than Del Monte.... :lol:

Quote Marc

Really?? What's your secret? Mine always has more orange peel than Del Monte.... :lol:

Keep the paint coat wet and run the compressor at a lower pressure than higher - if you follow me...!?!

Actually, the Alpine does have a mild orange peel to the naked eye, just doesn't seem to show in the pix but thanks for the kind comment.

TBH I do find it to be a little too thick for my preference so I would like to find an appropriate thinner to use with it but just get told that it's already thinned for spraying. Anybody know what I can use?

Thanks all for the kind words - much appreciated! :)

cheers

Rick

Edited by Spad

I use Zero's thinners, normally on a 2:1 ratio which was recommended to me on a different forum. I would tend to spray around 12-15 psi, perhaps I'm too close with the brush. Thanks for the reply, looking forward to seeing what comes next off your bench.