1/48 Airfix Westland Lynx AH7

Echoing what others have already said. What a cracker build. :worthy:

I have one underway myself so I'm paying attention to the little things you have done.

Thanks so much for all your info on this.

Edited by Andrew Perren

Congrats on getting the maximum out of the new Airfix kit. It is hard to find fault with your Mk7 but your Mark9A still betters it and has to be one of the finest helicopter models I have ever seen. I'd love to see you build your next Lynx in the early black and green colour scheme. I always thought she looked good in that scheme.

BM.

Congrats on getting the maximum out of the new Airfix kit. It is hard to find fault with your Mk7 but your Mark9A still betters it and has to be one of the finest helicopter models I have ever seen. I'd love to see you build your next Lynx in the early black and green colour scheme. I always thought she looked good in that scheme.

BM.

Thanks mate.

When I put my 9A next to the AH7, the 9A looked positively agricultural next to it! approximate detail and accuracy (of base BB kit) is apparent but its actually not too far off. Credit goes to Michael Belcher for getting his kit pretty close with only some photos to go by (as opposed to the fairly large and comprehensive R&D dept at Airfix and their access to the real thing). I'm working on a TOW version at present and haven't decided whether it'll be an AH1 or AH7 yet. Black/Green will be a nice contrast in my display cabinet next to the green/greys for sure. One of the other Army Lynx I have (yes....I have rather a large stash already ;) ) will be a 9A to the same spec as the scratch built one. Will be nice to do a direct comparison. One of my HMA8s will be getting the Wildcat treatment. Expect G-LYNX to pop up too as well as some early yellow prototypes. Hmm, guess what Salisburys club table will mostly consist of at Telford this year?? (At this rate, I'll be in my own SiG :D )

Excellent model and good, objective review, it's peresuaded me to part with some of my "hard earned" for one.

My next Lynx (already on the go) will probably be a TOW equipped aircraft.

:( Was looking forward to the return of your Accurate Armour Lynx reworking ;)

Excellent model and good, objective review, it's peresuaded me to part with some of my "hard earned" for one.

:( Was looking forward to the return of your Accurate Armour Lynx reworking ;)

Fear not, its not been forgotten! Just got sidetracked with these ones. Note to self - must complete the 1/144 Lynx too.

Not wishing to gloat but my Lynx got awarded Gold at the Poole Vikings show today. Well chuffed! :D :D

Thanks to all those BM members who stopped and chatted.

Just a useful tip, Tony states that you should take care when removing parts from the sprue as the gates are large. Heat up the tip of a scalpel blade and cut through the plastic. Apart from making removal easy, the plastic part usually sticks to the blade and never pings off. Plus, no 'orrible gate marks. I always remove small parts and transparencies this way. Arn't I a smart axse?

Just a useful tip, Tony states that you should take care when removing parts from the sprue as the gates are large. Heat up the tip of a scalpel blade and cut through the plastic. Apart from making removal easy, the plastic part usually sticks to the blade and never pings off. Plus, no 'orrible gate marks. I always remove small parts and transparencies this way. Arn't I a smart axse?

You know what? That is an excellent tip and after spending years in the plastic blow moulding industry cutting out various parts with a hot knife I should have known that :D

Fear not, its not been forgotten! Just got sidetracked with these ones. Note to self - must complete the 1/144 Lynx too.

Not wishing to gloat but my Lynx got awarded Gold at the Poole Vikings show today. Well chuffed! :D :D

Thanks to all those BM members who stopped and chatted.

Fantastic Lynx trio at Poole Vikings, Tony - Gold for the 7 well deserved. Green with envy at the quality. Thanks for the tips on the green - and for sparking me to join BM.

you utter bugger!

Now I have to BUY a magazine :(

:):):)

I promised "she who totally misunderstands me" I wouldn't be buying any more mags these days

This is your usual total object lesson in Lynxography and the "out of the box" label would be hard top take if I hadn't spent nearly an hour drooling over the Airfix display at Telford last year Aren't they getting good lately...

Anyway

This has reinforced my love of helicopters which got hammered at my club today when mine got grim marks on t'table

I shall sit back again and attempt to absorb your skills osmotically as we "Lynx" along again with your next one

Blooming brilliant and definitely a deserving winner

b

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

Hmm. Bit late for this one and getting back into modelling after a 30 year gap. I served with the Lynx in various marks from 1 through 7 and 9 as well as the Gulf war so I know the type. Moreover someone has just given me one of these kits so really chuffed. What you have achieved here is a stunning and fine tribute to my oppos who flew the mighty Lynx (for all its faults) simply stunning. The best thing is that you have not over weathered or over grimed it.  They were well looked after, even in wartime, so never looked like the heaps some present as look alike.  It would be nice to think that with the recent (this week) re flying of 616, an exe 4regt Mk7, down at historic helicopters at Chard, that kit manufacturers would step up and start offering other Army Aviation subjects. I work with the HAAF at Wallop and there are no shortage of accessible and complete airframes. Army Aviation, greatest story never told...but beautifully represented here at least. Thanks chap.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HAAFPhot said:

Hmm. Bit late for this one and getting back into modelling after a 30 year gap. I served with the Lynx in various marks from 1 through 7 and 9 as well as the Gulf war so I know the type. Moreover someone has just given me one of these kits so really chuffed. What you have achieved here is a stunning and fine tribute to my oppos who flew the mighty Lynx (for all its faults) simply stunning. The best thing is that you have not over weathered or over grimed it.  They were well looked after, even in wartime, so never looked like the heaps some present as look alike.  It would be nice to think that with the recent (this week) re flying of 616, an exe 4regt Mk7, down at historic helicopters at Chard, that kit manufacturers would step up and start offering other Army Aviation subjects. I work with the HAAF at Wallop and there are no shortage of accessible and complete airframes. Army Aviation, greatest story never told...but beautifully represented here at least. Thanks chap.

If I may ask, how was the cabin configured during the Gulf War?

TIA,

Jens