1/350 Type 23 from Trumpeter

Rowan Broadbent

• 5 weeks later...

I just got one of these from modelsforsale.com at a smidge over £32. It's one of the nicest modern ship kits I've seen, and test fits really well. Finer details than the Academy Perry, really impressed with things like the chaff launchers and stanchions on the overhanging deck areas. The addition of a finely etched PE fret (parts for the Harpoon launcher cradles, masts and radar tops) is very welcome. I reckon I could get away with just a set of PE railings for this one.

Probably in the same league as the Trumpy DDGs, only the construction seems more modeller friendly due to the relatively clean decks, with practically everything but the bitts provided as separate additions. The instructions are also a major improvement with each individual assembly shown separately, with the placement on the model shown on the following page.

The cons I can see are the one-piece full hull mentioned above and the one decal option. There are probably others, but the thing looks good at first fondle.

Hopefully we'll see a proper review sometime?

Al

I'm hoping to pick one of these up soon to go with my Airfix Illustrious and Daring.

Funnier enough I was looking at the instructions online last night on the Hobby Search site and it lookd like a well thought out build, it's nice to see that it's competitively priced in the UK too compared to the usual Hong Kong and Japanese sources.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, I have some disappointing news about the HMS Montrose from Trumpeter.

The box art and pre-release literature give the impression that the kit will include the modified 4.5in "Kryten" gun and a Merlin helicopter. After opening the kit up and having a good look, I can confirm that this is NOT the case. The kit is exactly the same as HMS Kent just with different decals. The number of sprues is different between the two kits but the parts contained are identical.

Please bear this in mind when looking at HMS Montrose.

We have ordered the WEM Type 23 etch and will order their modified 4.5in gun and Merlin. This will hopefully allow customers to build the Type 23 in the configuration of their choice.

John

Thank you for your comment on our prices. We know that times are hard and we try to do our best in terms of prices.

Having had a look at the WEM 4.5in "Kryten" gun, we shall certainly get some in stock. Price estimate at the moment is somewhere between £2 and £2.50. This does not make up for it not being included in the kit but goes some way to offering the option to customers.

John

You could offer the airfix illustrious air wing as a package deal (maybe a bit expensive), or at least recommend them to people who are buying the kit so that they can get the 2 merlins. Just a thought anyway...

Cheers,

Sean.

Edited by Mozzy19

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I have here Trumpeters Type23 issue "HMS Westminster", including a Merlin Helicopter. Has anyone noticed that this Merlin is

much larger than the Airfix Merlin included in the Type 45?

According to my mathematics the Trumpeter Merlin is right - but then again, the WEM Lynx is the same size as the Airfix Lynx, so I'd guess the Airfix Lynx is ok. :shrug:

So what about the Airfix Merlin? The size difference is immense, they look like different helicopters.

Ingo