1/350 Type 23 from Trumpeter

Rowan Broadbent

1. Regarding the Mod 1 turret, we will be releasing it as a Pro 350 item, taken from our 1/350 resin kit (since Kent has now been refitted with this turret, the Trumpeter kit is not current).

2. Peter Hall will have completed the design for our forthcoming dedicated PE set (PE 35167) for this kit by the end of the week.

3. It is clear that Trumpeter directly copied the PE from our resin kit for the bits of PE they include with the kit. Peter Hall has checked and the Trumpeter parts overlay ours perfectly--even down to an error in our original kit set (that will be corrected in PE 35167).

3. It is clear that Trumpeter directly copied the PE from our resin kit for the bits of PE they include with the kit. Peter Hall has checked and the Trumpeter parts overlay ours perfectly--even down to an error in our original kit set (that will be corrected in PE 35167).

Why am I not surprised, piracy is so much easier than work...

Good to hear about your dedicated PE and turret!

Fraser

Peter Hall sent the image of PE 35167, 1/350 Type 23 Frigate to me today. It should be going off for etching on Friday or Monday. As soon as I jpeg it and resize it, I'll post it here with a link for pre-ordering. Also, the Mod.1 turret will be Pro 3531, and I'll post the price as soon as we have a quote from the caster.

Seconded!

Also a Leander in 350 scale would be great. Think of all the possibilities . Batches 1 to 3 Royal Navy, navies of India, Chile, Indonesia, Dutch.... :-o

Why am I not surprised, piracy is so much easier than work...

Good to hear about your dedicated PE and turret!

Fraser

Modern day Piracy in the South China seas ....

So, we noticed when Trumpeter announced their 1/350 HMS Kent (Type 23 kit) that it had the original Mod.0 turret. Since Kent--and all the Type 23s--now carry the angular Mod.1 turret, we planned to release that turret separately as a Pro 350 item. Now that Trumpeter have announced the HMS Montrose kit with the Mod.1 turret for release next February, we're having second thoughts. However, anyone wanting to build Kent as she is now will need that turret, and Trumpeter is unlikely to offer it as a separate item.

So, the question is: is there enough market to justify our releasing Pro 3531, 1/350 RN Mk.8 Mod.1 Turret?

I wonder, hope , and pray, someone does 1/350 Leander class, and WW2 British Aircraft Carriers and Cruisers, we have waited sooooooo long , it would be great if WEM or Airfix did them , however i fear due to costs ,logistics etc etc etc that it will be a company from China or that region, we have large numbers of Japanese, U.S and even German subjects that have been produced, i have heard all the arguments about tooling costs etc, but i am an impatient 60 year old modeller, i have been loyal to Airfix and WEM, perhaps all said and done maybe it is only the far eastern company's that can produce them ???

My question is will we ever see those British subjects produced before i go to the big stash in the sky ???

Norman, I believe that Atlantic Models will be looking at further frigates from the 50's and 60's after they have released their County Class destroyer, HMS Antrim, and Leeds Castle FPV. WEM are thankfully releasing their 1:700 C class cruiser in 1:350 soon.

1. Regarding the Mod 1 turret, we will be releasing it as a Pro 350 item, taken from our 1/350 resin kit (since Kent has now been refitted with this turret, the Trumpeter kit is not current).

2. Peter Hall will have completed the design for our forthcoming dedicated PE set (PE 35167) for this kit by the end of the week.

Hello John, just got this kit, it looks good. I have pre-ordered from yourselves your etch that is in progress (yesterday). Just as a matter of interest, what was the error that Trumpeter have copied? If you do release the new version turret I will order that too.

Looking forward to getting the etch as soon as it is released, all the best, Ray

• 1 month later...

Morning, Received my Type 23 from WEM a few days ago and have finally gotten around to fondling the plastic. To my untrained eye it looks fine, and when WEM have the PE ready I'll probably be unable to refrain from starting the build along side the other things I'm working on. Um, one thing that surprised me is that the hull isn't split nor is there any marking for the waterline. No biggie, but it does make painting the hull a bit more, um, interesting. Speaking of which, can anyone tell me what enamel matches RN hull grey these days. Always looks about like Medium sea grey to me...

Cheers,

Fraser

Man, that's a good question, no answer yet, one chart says it's the same as Ta xf54...dark sea grey - I don't think so. another says it's the same as Humbrol 27 - sea grey. Don't seem to be any close matches that I can find

Edited by seadog

SeaDog, I wanted a match to the hull colour, not the deck colour, which XF54 seems to do a fair job of....

I had a reply off-board from a source, lets call him "Shallow Throat", & they advised Vallejo Game color 72047 #047 Wolf Grey. A bottle is now en-route, so i'll let you know how that turns out....

I also notice a fresh bottle of XF23, & wondered if THAT was a starting point?

SeaDog, I wanted a match to the hull colour, not the deck colour, which XF54 seems to do a fair job of....

That was my point...the comparison charts are a bit all over the shop...