1/48 F-16D Barak

Yeah, I've got the 2 LANTIRN pods and I have a Litening pod, can't tell you what the part numbers are as I've cut mine off the sprues and its not on the instructions. Maybe I just got lucky :hmmm:

Yeah, I've got the 2 LANTIRN pods and I have a Litening pod, can't tell you what the part numbers are as I've cut mine off the sprues and its not on the instructions. Maybe I just got lucky :hmmm:

Nice one mate. I must have got a dodgy boxing! Might have to invest in a resin replacement

Things have improved a bit with the Sufa, there are far less of those stubs than on the Italeri / Kin DG I have for a start and the sprues are far more managable. Quite a few pods with this one too, and front wheels!

Nice work Dave, the cockpit looks great.

Joel

Things have improved a bit with the Sufa, there are far less of those stubs than on the Italeri / Kin DG I have for a start and the sprues are far more managable. Quite a few pods with this one too, and front wheels!

Nice work Dave, the cockpit looks great.

Joel

Thanks Joel. I built the Sufa a while back and didn't have too much bother with it, but seem to be having a few more issues with this one, especially the lack of the Litening! Don't suppose you have one spare mate? :lol:

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Think I have a LITENING left over from the Hellenic boxing. This seems to be common in Kinetic F16 kits with sprues missing and others extra

Sorry just checked and it's the LANTRIN AAQ-14 "sprue GG" I have as well. The LITENING pod is on the "HH" sprue.

Edited by scotthldr

Think I have a LITENING left over from the Hellenic boxing. This seems to be common in Kinetic F16 kits with sprues missing and others extra

Would you mind sparing it mate? I'd be ever so grateful!

Seems so, there's a few bits absent from this boxing and others that are spares. Plenty of weapons though which is good!

Think it's a newer kit than the D to be honest. Really tempted by some of the others- the RSAF 52+, HAF C 52+, the E, quite liking these new generation Vipers now!

Pretty sure I have a Litening hanging around somewhere too:), between Kinetics Vipers and Academy's new Eagles, you get to equip the whole stash!

Joel

Think it's a newer kit than the D to be honest. Really tempted by some of the others- the RSAF 52+, HAF C 52+, the E, quite liking these new generation Vipers now!

Pretty sure I have a Litening hanging around somewhere too:), between Kinetics Vipers and Academy's new Eagles, you get to equip the whole stash!

Joel

Tempted by an E model myself, but need to watch the purse strings at the moment!

Another slight problem has been noticed tonight...

The frame for the canopy is broken on one side and part of it is missing:

IMG_2261.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

It's not in the box, nor was it amongst the loose parts that I bagged :angrysoapbox.sml:

Long shot here, but does anyone have a canopy frame from any of the Kinetic/Italeri 2 seater boxings that they could spare? Or failing that, know where I could get a replacement?

Cheers

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

go to luckymodel.com

open an account if you don't have one already.

When you do that, choose My Request option in the top menu and choose parts replacement from a dropdown menu and fill in all the required fields.

go to luckymodel.com

open an account if you don't have one already.

When you do that, choose My Request option in the top menu and choose parts replacement from a dropdown menu and fill in all the required fields.

Thanks Scott, i'll try that. Is the Part generic? It's B26 according to my instructions.

Another update. Contacted Luckymodel with regard to the canopy frame and they are sending me one. Great service on their part.

Back to the kit. Painted the cockpit tub overall dark sea grey, black for the side panels and 'picked out' all the buttons with red, yellow and light grey using various cocktail sticks:

IMG_2264.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

Also gave it a quick once over with a weathering brush.

Installed to the upper fuselage:

IMG_2268.jpg

The join between the front and rear parts is a bit iffy. After that dried, i added the underside of the fuselage:

IMG_2269.jpg

Again, the fit isn't great, hence all the clamps, pegs and elastic bands! I also painted the interior of the GE-110 engine white, then dirtied it up a bit with various pigments:

IMG_2267.jpg

Completed:

IMG_2270.jpg

And the same painting technique for the petals of the exhaust:

IMG_2266.jpg

Next up is to tidy up the fuselage and add the spine etc.

More to follow.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Hoi Dave, it's looking nice. One thing of note is that 612 is a D-40, while the Valley Squadron flies D-30's (0XX numbers).

Thanks for the info. Rich F has pointed me in the right direction with regard to the block 30 jets!

More progress to show today. Added the front intake lip to the main trunk:

IMG_2280.jpg

Fit was so-so and a little bit of filler was needed. Preliminary fitting of this part to the fuselage shows that it is a poor fit. Some work will be needed there. Next up, i added the nose cone and surrounding panels:

IMG_2284.jpg

You can tell by the filler that the fit was not very good! Tail fin built up next:

IMG_2281.jpg

Spine added and the engine trunking inserted:

IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg

The fit of the latter part is iffy, hence all the tape. Also note that the leading edges of the wings have been attached.

Joel (Bandwagon106) has sent me a Litening pod. Thanks mate!

IMG_2283.jpg

Finally for today, i built up the parachute housing for the end of the spine:

IMG_2282.jpg

Next up is the beginning of the clean up jobs!

More to follow.

Dave

A good bit of progress but seemingly little to show for it!! After consulting a few images of the cockpit area on the internet, i added some bits and pieces to busy up an otherwise dull area:

IMG_2307.jpg

The initial filler around the exhaust area was sanded off, but unfortunately it needed another dose:

IMG_2305.jpg

The plate that fits over the centre of the main landing gear bay was a poor fit and an elastic band was needed to hold the vent on the forward part in place. Also note that the main intake trunking has been attached. The fit was poor and needed a good bit of dry fitting and some trimming to fit.

IMG_2306.jpg

Along with the these major components, various other parts were completed today. These being the addition of the wingtip missile rails, the addition of all the parts to the spine including chaff dispensers on the side and a few lumps on top, the attaching of the 'parachute housing' at the rear of the spine (although I'm pretty sure the IDF removed the parachutes and packed the area with electronic equipment), the attaching of the 'beer can' antennae on the leading edge of the wings, the insertion of the tail fin and finally a second dose of filler on the nose section. The latter is a very hard area to fix due to the ill fitting nature of the various panels. I'm not sure wether this is due to the kit or my sloppy modelling skills. Probably a combination of both.

IMG_2309.jpg

Next up is more tidying and sanding.

More to follow.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL