Andy Pack DH 10

stevehed

Stumbled across this on e bay. Anyone familiar with the kit?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ANDY-PACK-MODELS-HA...=item519ec8dfd7

Cheers, Steve

Hi,

All I can remember is Andy was a trader who attended many of the shows a few years back, and if recall handed the business over to his son, a lot of his stock was sold off at Cosford 2-3 years ago,and there were 2 vacform kits under this brand, which I saw made up at one of the Glos. shows and they were not that brilliant,but they may have been down to the builder.

The shop was and is called Andy Pack (it's gone back to its core business of car accessories) but there never was an Andy Pack, even if the son is called Andy.

The same company produced a 1/72 King Air which attracted quite a strong following in the Britmodeller Worst Kit Ever thread (see from post 37 onwards - post 58 is illuminating):

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...p;hl=\andy pack\&st=20

I have seen the DH 10 kit and couldn't honestly claim it's much better. Wouldn't be rushing out to buy it.

PS I do not believe the kit was mastered by Joe Chubbock.

Edited by Seahawk

The original DH 10 was indeed mastered by Joe Chubbock for Eastern Star which was one of the Nom de plumes of the "now you see me now you don't" Derek Durham. This was a Vac kit and the metal parts were done by the late owner of Lead Sled vehicle kits. I know that at one time after Durham disappeared from the scene, some plastics were being sold at car boot sales without metal parts by someone described as untidy with bushy hair and glasses. Durham next appeared as part of the Andy Pack team and announced all sorts of kits. It's possible that the DH. 10 was "remoulded" from a vac pull and not the original excellent masters which owing to the techniques Joe employed could be damaged when removed from the epoxy mould.

I haven't seen the King Air but I did see the moulds for the Eastern Star, Single Pioneer, of which the masters appeared to be good but the mould was incompetently made and some clown had bored the vent holes which should be about .5mm with a 2mm blunt drill.

John

The shop was and is called Andy Pack (it's gone back to its core business of car accessories) but there never was an Andy Pack, even if the son is called Andy.

The same company produced a 1/72 King Air which attracted quite a strong following in the Britmodeller Worst Kit Ever thread (see from post 37 onwards - post 58 is illuminating):

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...p;hl=\andy pack\&st=20

I have seen the DH 10 kit and couldn't honestly claim it's much better. Wouldn't be rushing out to buy it.

PS I do not believe the kit was mastered by Joe Chubbock.

Edited by John Aero

The original DH 10 was indeed mastered by Joe Chubbock for Eastern Star which was one of the Nom de plumes of the "now you see me now you don't" Derek Durham. This was a Vac kit and the metal parts were done by the late owner of Lead Sled vehicle kits. I know that at one time after Durham disappeared from the scene, some plastics were being sold at car boot sales without metal parts. Durham next appeared as part of the Andy Pack team and announced all sorts of kits. It's possible that the DH. 10 was "remoulded" from a vac pull and not the original excellent masters which owing to the techniques Joe employed could be damaged when removed from the epoxy mould.

I haven't seen the King Air but I did see the moulds for the Eastern Star, Single Pioneer, of which the masters appeared to be good but the mould was incompetently made and some clown had bored the vent holes which should be about .5mm with a 2mm blunt drill.

John

Derek Durham! That's the name I was thinking of! In which case, I'd steer well clear! I recall some of my former Trading Standards colleagues had an interest in him.

Yes

Derek Durham,

The man who conned a late member of one of the midland I.P.M.S. branches to putting up cash for a development of a never -to-be 1/32 scale buccaneer to be manufactured in Rugby, and also took loads of kits to be sold on a commission basis to fund another project by eastern star, and that never appeared, I remember his slogan "I AM NO. 1 RUSSIAN KIT IMPORTER" He also was involved in some dodgy dealings which caused Andy Pack some grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah yes the Buccaneer. Now IIRC he told me that he had imported the moulds of a 1/48 scale one from Russia but he was having trouble getting them through customs. They of course never existed even though he was touting the box artwork around the Southern Expo some 15 or 17 years ago. He was wearing a smart RAF blazer and tie and trying to be the smooth business man but as my late wife Angela pointed out, rather tatty trainers. Some of us refered to him as Daryl Dimsh*t. He was forever saying "my names not Daryl". I have a newspaper cutting about another of his adventures.

John

Yes

Derek Durham,

The man who conned a late member of one of the midland I.P.M.S. branches to putting up cash for a development of a never -to-be 1/32 scale buccaneer to be manufactured in Rugby, and also took loads of kits to be sold on a commission basis to fund another project by eastern star, and that never appeared, I remember his slogan "I AM NO. 1 RUSSIAN KIT IMPORTER" He also was involved in some dodgy dealings which caused Andy Pack some grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by John Aero