RAF Hawk colours

jesterhud

Hi

Can someone please let me know what the best Humbrol paint colours would be to use for the camo on a 1980s era RAF Hawk, as in the attached link ?

Edit, on the link click on the next tab at the bottom right to get onto the back photo of the box.

Thanks

http://www.matchboxkits.org/product_info.php?products_id=706

Edited by jesterhud

BS381 537 Signal Red - Humbrol 174

BS381 627 Light Aircraft Grey - Humbrol 166

White - Humbrol 130 Satin White

You might want to finish it with a (scale) semi-gloss varnish as the originals were painted gloss.

Nice avatar!

BS381 537 Signal Red - Humbrol 174

BS381 627 Light Aircraft Grey - Humbrol 166

White - Humbrol 130 Satin White

You might want to finish it with a (scale) semi-gloss varnish as the originals were painted gloss.

Nice avatar!

Thanks but i meant the Camoflage version on the back of the box, appreciate the answer though.

Or if you want the camo:

Humbrol 30 Dark Green

Humbrol 164 Dark Sea Green

Humbrol 166 Lt A/C Grey

HTH

Cheers

Rick

Camouflaged Hawks were in Dark Green/ Dark Sea Grey in the 80's with Light Aircraft Grey undersides, later on they were painted in the green/grey wraparound scheme like this one;

img033small.jpg

Thanks but i meant the Camoflage version on the back of the box, appreciate the answer though.

Durrrrr... not enough chocolate!

I did this for SAM a decade or so back, might be useful:

67514f02.jpg

286fac48.jpg

Edited by Jonathan Mock

Camouflaged Hawks were in Dark Green/ Dark Sea Grey in the 80's with Light Aircraft Grey undersides, later on they were painted in the green/grey wraparound scheme like this one;

I'm almost certain that only the prototype had light aircraft grey undersides, production Hawks were delivered with wrap round cammo.

Hi

Can someone please let me know what the best Humbrol paint colours would be to use for the camo on a 1980s era RAF Hawk, as in the attached link ?

Edit, on the link click on the next tab at the bottom right to get onto the back photo of the box.

Thanks

http://www.matchboxkits.org/product_info.php?products_id=706

Humbrol 163 (RAF Dark Green) and Humbrol 164 (RAF Dark Sea Grey). Do NOT use Humbol 30. Its too "green".

I'm almost certain that only the prototype had light aircraft grey undersides, production Hawks were delivered with wrap round cammo.

Correct - only one (XX156) of the pre-production test and evaluation aircraft had LAC Grey lower surfaces. All other Hawks entered service in the Signal Red/White/LACG scheme. Hawks flying with the TWU's at Chivenor and Brawdy were given wrap around camo a few years later.

Correct - only one (XX156) of the pre-production test and evaluation aircraft had LAC Grey lower surfaces. All other Hawks entered service in the Signal Red/White/LACG scheme. Hawks flying with the TWU's at Chivenor and Brawdy were given wrap around camo a few years later.

I remember reading an old Aviation News (1978 ish - still got a copy somewhere) showing the first deliveries to Brawdy, they came straight from the factory in wrap around cammo, I don't think any TWU Hawks were delivered in the Trainer scheme. Certainly by the time Chivenor reopened in 1980 all the Hawks that came from Brawdy and the few 151 Sqn Hawks still to be delivered were grey/green cammo. During the 1980's one or two red/white/grey Hawks found their way from Valley to the TWU's.

Edited by Evalman

I remember reading an old Aviation News (1978 ish - still got a copy somewhere) showing the first deliveries to Brawdy, they came straight from the factory in wrap around cammo, I don't think any TWU Hawks were delivered in the Trainer scheme. Certainly by the time Chivenor reopened in 1980 all the Hawks that came from Brawdy and the few 151 Sqn Hawks still to be delivered were grey/green cammo. During the 1980's one or two red/white/grey Hawks found their way from Valley to the TWU's.

Seconded. The Hawk Mk52s purchased by Kenya did have dark green/dark sea grey upper surfaced with light aircraft grey under, and have been painted that way ever since.

Arrrgghh someone else said Dark Admiralty Grey or Humbrol no5! Repaint coming on!!!

near enough, at work we use dark admirality grey for cockpit touch ups.

doubt anyone will notice if it was the exact colour/shade of grey, cockpit is small anyway.

Edited by Hawkkeeper

Are all the wheel wells, legs etc LAG?

Generally, the wheel wells are white and the U/C and inside of the U/C doors are LAG.

This is the same for the Red Arrows and Gloss black Scheme, except on the inside of the 'inner' door to the main bays where the inside colour is the same as the outside colour respectively. There are some excellent photos in the 'Hawker Siddeley Hawk' Walkaround in the Aircraft Walkaround section.

The main wells appear to get quite dirty with the nose well less so.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Are all the wheel wells, legs etc LAG?

U/C bays are White

U/C legs are LAG at work we use light aircraft grey to do any leg touch ups.

large inner u/c doors are now black on black hawks or red on RA hawks, used to be LAG on camo a/c & air defence grey a/c

Edited by Hawkkeeper