249 Sqn Spitfire

JackG

So first time trying the hairspray technique, but I added a slight variation. While it was wet, sprinkled on some fine ballast (normally used as sand for dioramas). I liked the result on leading wing edge, sort of simulating chipping from debris thrown up from prop wash.

On the port wing root, definitely not what I was aiming for. I had use an old synthetic brush, very hard bristles, to remove the top layer. Adding some water as suggested in the video, caused the EDSG paint to quickly disintegrate and exposed way too much. So on starboard just used a toothpick to scratch off the above mentioned ballast.

In trying to hit every nook and cranny, this created too heavy an overall spraying of the top colour, something I had wanted to avoid as I wanted a somewhat worn look with areas of the desert camou somewhat visible. I don`t think its at the point requiring the whole thing to be stripped, but definitely needs touching up.

regards,

Jack

402396488.jpg

Most of the decals are now on except for the undersides as I await for some roundel masks from Maketar. Will need them to fix the upper ones because of the added fairing bulge just created havoc in trying to have the decal settle down, so didn't even bother applying the underside ones.

The EDSG appears fairly dark at the moment because of the gloss coat, but this should lighten up when sprayed flat and will likely mist over a lighter colour for a more faded look. I've been reminded that this shade tended to fade in the sun, turning into blue, so a small amount of prussian blue and white was mixed into this. I also 'wet' brushed this mix but will have to wait for the flat coat to see how far I want to push this overall colour beyond EDSG.

As you can see I opted to display the full ferry code 3-W. Many Spitfires at this time were placed in a pool of aircraft to be used by whatever squadron was scrambling.

Lastly, one of the wing tips snapped off so will drill a couple holes to add pins for better strength before reattaching.

regards,

Jack

402503654.jpg

She's looking fabulous Jack, I'm sure we'll never see the join! Lovely grub, thank you!

Still waiting for the roundel masks in the mail, so went ahead with the decals on the lowers. After a couple coats of future and drying time through the mid week, I mixed a wash from weathering powders. Roughly 10 parts water to one of the powder as well as a drop of dish soap. More drying and then cleaned it up with a slightly damp cloth (small piece from an old t-shirt).

Next up some more weathering with dry powders and maybe some fine pencils to fix some lost detail.

regards,

Jack

402562496.jpg

Thanks Nick, Ian, Jay, Cliff and Peter.

With the long weekend was hoping the masks would arrive, but still a no show. Two tins of WEM colourcoats did, so I tried brushing on some of the blue on the fairings. Roundel blue is quite different from that of the decal, so definitely need those masks. I also tackled the oil stain/streaking on the undersides.

regards,

Jack

402639884.jpg

402639883.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Maketar masks arrived late last week, so was able to make some progress over the weekend. I opted for the vinyl masks, being a bit cheaper than the "Tamiya tape" style product. They are certainly stretchy, and if not careful one can end up with an odd shape roundel. My upper wing markings turned out oblong, but was easily fixed by covering the blue section and spraying over the unwanted edges. I used the desert colours for this instead of EDSG, but did use the grey to touch up some overspray with a brush.

While spraying a flat coat, a couple drops fell out of the cup onto the wing and top of the cowl. Wiping it away exposed the first layer of paint and even a bit of the resin wing. So two steps forward, one step back. More repairs before moving forward - but am very close to the finish line.

regards,

Jack

402782172.jpg

Edited by JackG

Thanks Nick.

The boo boos are fixed, and I also mixed up a flat coat with a bit of colour to simulate fading on the top surfaces. Very timid on this approach as first time trying, but could be stronger as the decals still seem to pop. Will use some weathering powders to address this area.

Also redid the oil streaks on the belly, after some feedback from Finescale members (actually, Edgar also added his sage advice). I switched to brown oil stains, after masking and spraying over the original - some of it purposely left visible. To thin the paint for better flow, I added some future since water tends to make acrylics dry with a chalky edge.

Up next is some general weathering with powders as well as distinct areas such exhaust stains. Then can add the final parts: prop, exhaust, antenna pitot tube and canopy.

Does anyone know if wires need to be added on the sides of the fuselage trailing back to the elevators?

regards,

Jack

402833369.jpg

Sure can, Rob...

First here is Edgar's critique:

"The Merlin did not have a "partial loss" system, it just leaked; this is why the engines were painted black, with the idea that the leaks would be easier to spot, and correct. They weren't. The Griffon was less prone to leaks because Rolls-Royce made most of its oil pipework internal.

The leaks were all confined to the engine compartment, spreading, from there, along the fuselage; be very wary of starting a trail of oil further back, since you're indicating an oil leak in the cockpit, which simply didn't happen. The oil ran down the engine, couldn't get through the firewall, so ran out from there, spreading along the fuselage. The firewall, aka "frame 5," is the fuselage panel line level with the mainspar panel line on the wings.

Your "leaks" basically begin from the right place, but start too broad, then narrow; they were more likely to exit through a fairly small "hole," then spread slightly as they ran down the fuselage. Later in the war, when "erks" had more time (definitely not on Malta in 1942,) they tended to wipe away oil spills, and just leave the stain; this was due to a better understanding of the importance of a smooth finish."

Along with the usual b/w period photos, I relied on this image of a Mk.IX that was still flying in the 1990's:

402687880.jpg

My method used acrylics from a craft store, they are the cheaper variety in tubes, but I'm sure regular model paints would do. I made three shades representing oil, and layered them down starting with lighter and then going to the darkest last.

-yellow ochre mixed with a hint of brown (sienna) and diluted with future. This first colour was the most thinned one, and it was more like a wash and was applied in a more broader sense.

-medium to dark brown mixed with future, applying streaks starting thin and gradually somewhat more wider at the rear. The streak could stop abruptly at a panel line, and then continue on as a double streak (as in above photo). On some ends of the streaks I also rubbed with my finger while still wet.

-third colour, used the same brown but added some prussian blue to make it darker and applied over most of the previous brown

That was it. In the photo posted it was already given a flat spray, but I'm thinking to apply some future over the streaks to bring back some sheen.

regards,

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

She is now done.

I'll try and see if can get better pics for the GB Gallery. First time using a DSLR camera and by the time I was getting happy with the results the sun was setting.

403039263.jpg

403039265.jpg

403039268.jpg

403039271.jpg

403039275.jpg

403039278.jpg

403039281.jpg

regards,

Jack