YF-16 prototype

Like the later models the YF-16 has a couple of air inlets on the fuselage, right behind the main wheel wells. On the prototype these are a bit different in shape (narrower and longer) and they sit slightly lower on the fuselage. These are missing in the kit anyway, so I made new from plastic strip.

YF-16_48_800.jpg

Returning to the cockpit again, I made the sealing from stretched sprue. This was cemented a few mm at the time with liquid glue. Also, I have attached the Eduard photo etched HUD bracket. The next step is to mask the blue glass lens and paint the glare shield black.

YF-16_49_800.jpg

YF-16_50_800.jpg

Nils

After painting the glare shield black, this, as well as other cockpit areas were masked.

YF-16_51_800.jpg

Then I gave the cockpit a coat of Interior Gray.

YF-16_52_800.jpg

While the later models are black around the opening, this is grey on the prototype.

Nils

The painting stage is getting closer. But first I had to attach the extreme nose, with the pitot tube and other instrument sensors.

YF-16_53_800.jpg

Also the static electricity dissipators (or whatever they are) were added, scarifying an old tooth brush.

YF-16_54_800.jpg

Nils

Also the static electricity dissipators (or whatever they are) were added, scarifying an old tooth brush.

More commonally known as Static Wicks.

That is a wonderful model coming along there Nils.

"Static dischargers" are probably the most commonly used term..? I have not broken any of them, still. :)

Anyway, today I spent a good hour masking the cockpit.

YF-16_55_800.jpg

Before applying the exterior colours, I airbrushed black to the rear transparency framework. This is to get it right on the inside as the colour will show through the plastic.

YF-16_56_800.jpg

Nils

I must admit that attending a group build, and at the same time producing decals for the same subject, is not a very good idea. The model has now got its white coat of paint, and is ready to be masked before the red and blue can be applied.

The decals have arrived from the printer, and look great. However I have to finish the instruction sheet, including a number of profiles and plan view drawings before I can offer them for sale. So what should I prioritize, the model or the decals ...?

Nils

Edited by Vingtor

• 3 weeks later...

With only three days to go, I am certain that the model will not be finished in time. Especially as I don't have the blue paint in house yet. During the last week I have applied the red colour (Xtracolor Post Office red), though. Three thin (hopefully) coats of paint.

YF-16_57_800.jpg

I will however finish the model, it's not that much work left.

Nils

• 2 weeks later...

Blue and black paint have been applied. I used Oxford Blue and Night, both from Xtracolor. Her is how the model looked before masking was removed:

YF-16_58_800.jpg

And after:

YF-16_59_800.jpg

YF-16_60_800.jpg

Some touch-up of overspray has to be done, and repainting of the cockpit frame. This will have to wait a bit though, as I have other things to deal with first.

Nils

• 1 month later...

Many weeks since last update. the progress is not too good after the GB deadline passed. It took me some hours to put on all the decals, especially the walkway lines and all the tiny bits. Unfortunately the blue in the national insignia and the U.S. Air Force titles were a tad too light, thus I replaced these with items from other sources just to be sure. The USAF markings for the wings came out ok because of the red background.

YF-16_61_800.jpg

YF-16_62_800.jpg

Nils

• 1 month later...

Awesome job here! You're setting the standard very high for that one! Masterpiece....

I just finished my second YF-16 proto a few days ago, but got fooled by the fins! I wasnt sure about it, but now, checking some good pics, I noticed that too, that they were slightly different....

Well....that's for the next one, hehe

Edited by bearmatt

• 1 month later...

I failed to meet the GB deadline, but finally the model is finished. I have added jet nozzle and wheel well doors from Aires (the nose wheel door had to be split in two pieces) while the canopy was modified from Hasegawa's F-16A. Here are photos of the finished model.

YF-16_65_800.jpg

YF-16_66_800.jpg

YF-16_67_800.jpg

YF-16_68_800.jpg

YF-16_69_800.jpg

YF-16_70_800.jpg

I will finish off this build with a photo the YF-16 together with the YF-17, a model that I did some 20 years ago. It was converted from the ESCI F-18A kit. The model is finished in Canadian markings, as a promotion aircraft for the Northrop CF-18L that was offered to the Canadians. Maybe I should polish it down and repaint it in YF-17 prototype markings.

YF-16_71_800.jpg

Nils

Oh my! That is extremely beautiful! A lot of work was needed to get it to that state, but the results look worth it.

I would say make sure to also post pictures of this in the normal Aircraft completed builds gallery as well as not many readers might find it here (although a couple of us did).