Emhar Mig-3, 1/72

First time trying out pre-shading (worked on top, I washed it out on the bottom... sometimes I just don't know when to stop... ) and some different putty and sanding techniques. Basically every plane I am building at the moment is an exercise in different skills and methods.

Tried out the Trumpeter scribing tool on the bottom of the wing, did the top and the hull with my trusty dental pick... I like the Trumpeter tool, and I ordered some other tools to tinker with on my next victi... *cough* I mean project.

For all it's simplicity I liked the Emhar kit. Several things are wrong with it shape-wise according to the reviews and builds I read, but the parts fit nice and snug, and are relatively flash-free. Detail on the parts is in the shape of very, very thin raised panel lines, which disappear as soon as you give them a harsh glance. Thus we scribe. No problem. I re-did the intake under the nose and thinned the wall on the large airscoop under the belly.

The decals are old, thick and don't come off the backing easily. But patience, MicroSol and a tad of prayer does wonders. I was tempted to put red stars on top of the wings as well, but I decided against it. Plans said there shouldn't be... and it kinda looks better too.

All and all I liked it, and it gets a spot on my shelf.

Mig_3_01.jpg

Mig_3_02.jpg

Mig_3_03.jpg

• Like 1

It is the old Frog kit. As such it was the best of the MiG 3s, but the new Hobbyboss one is better.

Russian aircraft did not carry stars on the upper wing in WW2. At least the fighters didn't, and I'm pretty sure that the others were the same. Never say never, of course, but......

Very nice MiG-3, Rob! Graham's correct about the wing stars; only aeroplanes early in the Great Patriotic War (Russo-German War) had them on top, and they were soon painted over on the topsides of the wings (this went for all types - bombers, fighters, transports, etc.). As he said, never say never, but your particular bird would not have had them, as it would probably have been from the winter of 1941/42, and your particular aeroplane has already been painted over with the white winter camouflage. By the way, there is some controversy about whether the wingtips on these winter-camouflaged MiG-3's were red or green - it's hard to tell on b/w photographs, but I say go with the red. It looks better! Za Rodinu! (For The Motherland!)

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Is the controversy really over this example with just the flash on the wingtip, or rather over the single example seen with an entirely dark outer wing panel? That photo was taken at the ceremony when the unit received its Guards designation, so some effort taken to get as many aircraft into the lineup as possible could well explain one or more "camouflage hybrids": the example also appears to have a bare metal engine cowling, if I remember correctly. Unlike the others in the lineup, and the photo does not even show both wings.....

I think the example modelled belongs to a completely separate occasion, being one of several (OK, two at least) with this kind of presentation markings. I don't see any reason why a small part of the wing should be left in a decorous green.

Is the controversy really over this example with just the flash on the wingtip, or rather over the single example seen with an entirely dark outer wing panel? That photo was taken at the ceremony when the unit received its Guards designation, so some effort taken to get as many aircraft into the lineup as possible could well explain one or more "camouflage hybrids": the example also appears to have a bare metal engine cowling, if I remember correctly. Unlike the others in the lineup, and the photo does not even show both wings.....

I think the example modelled belongs to a completely separate occasion, being one of several (OK, two at least) with this kind of presentation markings. I don't see any reason why a small part of the wing should be left in a decorous green.

Graham, I was specifically thinking about the example you mention. Since Soviet aircraft often sported red for decorative purposes (spinners, top of the tail fin, slogans, etc.) I think you're probably correct about this MiG-3 having had red wingtips.

Regards,

Jason

• 5 years later...