Airfix IL-2 "Sturmovik" - the hard way

Very nice, Adrian; you're one step ahead of me! Once again a very nice effect. Don't forget to put the dividing line down the middle of the ailerons, however - all Shturmoviks seem to have had this.

Regards,

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

As if this build wasn't taking long enough, I've decided to mask an paint my markings, cos I haven't got any borderless stars. So I've traced over an Airfix star outline of the right size then run over it with a new(ish) number 11 blade to get a mask:

f6af7b91.jpg

The sharper-eyed will notice the split aileron.

Rather annoyingly, I've nearly finished - I just need a final matt coat and the navigation lights, then I'm done. But I have a two week work trip starting in an hour, so see you in a fortnight!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That is one deeply impressive piece of work - don't think I've seen such a hopelessly inept kit turned into such a great model.

Makes me realise that the less well regarded kits in my stash - I'm looking at you, Hasegawa Me262A & Special Hobby P-39D - are just itching to be improved upon.

Good stuff.

Ah HA! The foil from a wine bottle, at last you have let slip the magical ingredient fueling this madness. I assure you steps will be taken to make sure you are unable to weaponize this process. I mean really, if the manufacturers get wind of this (and it would appear that a few of them already have...) they will assume they can get away with any old lump and we will fix it up for them. Shhh.... do you hear that? I've said too much.

Seriously, I've hacked some plastic in my day but nothing quite on this level. I salute you fine sir 07

Sherpa

Thats it... I'm not doing anymore modelling sorry should that be putting together shaped plastic bits!!! Lost for words...

Indeed.

When a crappy 1/72 Airfix is put together & looks better than what I produce from one of Tamiya's finest in 1/32, it's a little disheartening!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Holy Smokes! That's really something man!

You definitely have great modeling skill.

Enjoyed watching your build. :goodjob::wow: