Airfix IL-2 "Sturmovik" - the hard way

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

Yes Jason there is more!! Finally I've got a week at home and the Jubilee weekend combined with the weather gave me chance to get some modelling in...

The kit wheels were too small. Looking through my stash I found the Airfix Ju87 had wheels about the same size, so I broke out the MDC moulding kit that I bought at the Newark Show last year and used it to cast some wheels. I managed a mould first time and got 3/5 of my attempts to work. I've filled the treads a little and sanded down the running surfaces - Il-2 tyres were not entirely smooth - I think they will do:

c08580c9.jpg

Tail wheel is from a Lindberg Me410 with the fork thinned down, plus some rod:

b0f00a74.jpg

Vac formed canopy is chopped up and the windscreen at least is stuck down. The rest is taped on to provide a template for cutting and fitting the pilot's armour bulkhead:

9d7a0afc.jpg

And finally for this post, here it is on its wheels. The legs are brass wire nested in steel tubing, fitting into plastic rod axles, yet to be trimmed. The cannon barrels are the same tube, and I did the landing light with some hot plastic sheet bent over the wing leading edge:

e82fb4a4.jpg

The exhausts are in and looking a bit thinner than I would like. Still, they are better than the kit items! It's starting to feel like the home stretch on this one.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 1

Very nice, Adrian! Good job on the landing gear, and the pilot's armour plate. Remember that there was a bit of metal on the outside of the glass inserts in the armour plate (if it's not represented on a kit I just make sure the outer edges of the inserts are painted the interior colour). One thing I might change is to make the cannon barrels protrude a little more - those 23mm cannons on the original were real monsters. Otherwise looking brilliant!

Regards,

Jason

... Remember that there was a bit of metal on the outside of the glass inserts in the armour plate ...

The first attempt at the bulkhead followed the outline of the canopy with small cutouts to leave an edge, but it looked terrible. So this, with painted canopy edges, is plan B! It will be largely hidden under the sliding canopy, so I should get away with it...

Regards,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF

• 3 weeks later...
And finally for this post, here it is on its wheels. The legs are brass wire nested in steel tubing, fitting into plastic rod axles, yet to be trimmed. The cannon barrels are the same tube, and I did the landing light with some hot plastic sheet bent over the wing leading edge:

e82fb4a4.jpg

Hello Adrian, I've been following with interest, watching in awe and hoping to pick up some tips along the way. When you say you heated up a plastic sheet over the leading edge, how did you heat it? I'm struggling with inexperience and ill fitting light covers for a hurricane. I've got some clear plastic sheets but don't know how to mould them. Thank you for any advice.

James

I'm the last Britmodeller to catch up with the Epic!

1) you're bonkers

2) this is truly inspirational

3) you're still bonkers

Seriously you are proving that Gucci purses are possible from pig's ears.

Watching with serious interest.

Trevor

Edited by Max Headroom

Theoretically this is what modelling should be, I know it's a lot of work but for me it is an important premise to have a halfway accurate model, at least shape-wise with the right proportions, doesn't matter if a panel line or two is a mm off.

The other possibility is to build fantasy models.

Therefore I totally I admire what you are doing here OP ...

I'm the last Britmodeller to catch up with the Epic!

1) you're bonkers

2) this is truly inspirational

3) you're still bonkers

Seriously you are proving that Gucci purses are possible from pig's ears.

Watching with serious interest.

Trevor

Well, thanks! Most people tell me (1) and (3), but I don't often get (2)....

Regards,

Adrian

... When you say you heated up a plastic sheet over the leading edge, how did you heat it? ...

James

James,

For the plastic sheet, I cut a piece about 1 x 5 cm and held the middle of it above a candle flame, about 3x flames above the visible flame, until it went floppy. Then I pulled it down over the leading edge of the wing outboard of where the light is, and held it there until it cooled down. then I cut it to shape over the light. You can either cut it to fit exactly, or make a small ledge and go over, so you can fill and paint around it. Don't forget to paint inside! Interior green plus a silver disc will work wonders. Hope that helps.

Regards,

Adrian

Hello All,

Finally, ready for painting (well, there is the prop...):

13393586.jpg

Lots of details today - here's a selection:

e130d30a.jpg

07931dfa.jpg

e5f22173.jpg

7fdac160.jpg

7e23d7dd.jpg

I've found it hard to pick a colour scheme - there seem to be lots of cases where you can't quite tell whether it's a straght or an arrow wing! I'm going to do a green on black early camouflage, with stars and a simple number.

For the experts - presumably the black and green camouflage uses a dull olive green (AMT-4) and not that bright "tractor green"?

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Hello All,

I've found it hard to pick a colour scheme - there seem to be lots of cases where you can't quite tell whether it's a straght or an arrow wing! I'm going to do a green on black early camouflage, with stars and a simple number.

For the experts - presumably the black and green camouflage uses a dull olive green (AMT-4) and not that bright "tractor green"?

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Great work there, Adrian! You're correct about the green colour (AMT-4); the consensus is that the "tractor green" scheme never existed. I'd go to the sovietwarplanes.com site to find some straight-winged two-seater black/green camouflages - http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/il-2/il2-camo/il2m-camo.htm

Regards,

Jason

This is great modelling.... I'm looking forward to seeing your colour scheme choice.

You are obviously quite mad but I am in awe and inspired.... I do wonder if there isn't a better 1/72 start point than the Airfix kit?

This is a wonderful example of how to breath new life into an old kit. Looking forward to seeing it painted up.

Martin

I have no idea if there is a newer/more accurate/more detailed/easier to construct (delete as appropriate to your personal modelling requirements) of this machine available but understand and admire what you are doing with this one. Almost a pity to paint over and hide all the scratchbuilding and corrective work you have done but once done those not fortunate enough to have watched your progress here will certainly be left guessing the origin of your finished model.