Airfix IL-2 "Sturmovik" - the hard way

I decided that the canopy was too narrow so I inserted a shim in the master (everything is too narrow on this build!) and ran up another one on my modified vac former. I put the plastic down straight over the master, plastic side first, and it worked first time! The canopy is also much thicker/stronger because it doesn't have to go up and down over the fences.

4bc34e79.jpg

So here's where I have got to. I've started scribing on the tailplane.

30f72b38.jpg

That's it for a week or so because I've got a work trip to do.

Thanks for looking!

Adrian

• Like 1

This is great Adrian!

You give me hope after another failed attempt to make canopies for my own project..

Apparantly the clear sheet quality makes a difference as well. Good to know. I envy your resourcefulness!

I'm going to have a good study of your work.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Cheers!

Ron

Thanks for all the encouragement!

I just wonder if I might have been better off starting with a better representation of an IL-2. I dunno, something like an Airfix Fairey Battle maybe???

Regards,

Adrian

I just wonder if I might have been better off starting with a better representation of an IL-2. I dunno, something like an Airfix Fairey Battle maybe???

Regards,

Adrian

Adrian, there's no doubt that you would have been better off, with the Fairey Battle or even just an amorphous lump of plastic! However, as a Shturmovik aficionado, I find this build fascinating. I've always wondered if anyone could actually make a reasonable facsimile of the IL-2 from this kit. The kit (not your model, which is looking quite good) looks as if it were designed by someone who was told what the Shturmovik looked like, without ever actually having seen either a photograph or an accurate drawing of the aeroplane. It's something like the plastic equivalent of a police artist's sketch of some criminal (although not as well done). I have examined nearly every Shturmovik kit that is now or was ever available in plastic and the Airfix kit is without a doubt the worst (even worse than the '70's Soviet-era 1/50th scale Shturmovik). It vaguely resembles an IL-2, but that's about it. It's a toy, not a model. However, you seem to be beating it into shape. I truly admire your courage! Onwards brave comrade! Death to the Fascists!

Best Regards,

Jason

Back from my trip and back to the modelling table! I finished scribing the wings and tail, then I actually stuck something together! I think I may be distantly related to the Matchbox-Trenchers... The masking tape is a guide for the putty:

778473bb.jpg

876aa047.jpg

Yep, I bought a sheet of blue card as a background! Here's the radiator, modified to look like it belongs to an IL-2:

781b3467.jpg

And here's the putty on. I'll leave it to dry thoroughly and then get sanding:

74ad0b01.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 1

Nice job on the scribing, Adrian! I'm reminded of a line from one of my favourite movies, The Flight of the Phoenix, where the Richard Attenborough character (Lou Moran) says to the Jimmy Stewart character (Frank Townes), about the Phoenix as it starts to take shape, "You know Frank, it's really starting to look like something".

Regards,

Jason

I watched the Defiant build and have followed the Stirling build. Having recently built the Boston as a nostalgia build and been severely frustrated, I have nothing but admiration for you guys who take on these "vintage" (read: "prehistoric") Airfix kits and turn out masterpieces.

If your having fun doing all the great work to this kit then I wouldn't be too worried about if its mad or not! Hell, I wouldn't be too concerned about it been totally accurate, after all, its looking a hell of a lot better than it did! My hats off to you my friend!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Had a bit of a break, doing a speed-Airfix-Hurricane for a bit of light relief (black and white undersides - my favourite). Back in the factory, I made some undercarriage doors to replace the kit items. Simple master:

cf9d624f.jpg

I vacformed a layer of 10thou, trimmed it and then vacformed another layer on top, so I could cut away the inner skin to produce some inaccurate but "busy" detail:

8c614159.jpg

I also tried to vacform a spare canopy (I have one good one) but my balsa top didn't like it! Is that crash moulding or smash moulding??

e4fd185d.jpg

I will have to take 15 minutes to build my next vacformer, not ten!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Hello All,

Just a teeny-tiny update. Exhausts and vents today:

a1e5d8ea.jpg

Exhausts are made from stretched 1/8" plastic tube. They need a bit of work when they are dry but not much. I had tried making them out of brass tube (squashed slightly to the right section), which looked great but was too hard to work with. The vents are plastic card sandwiches, carved appropriately. Two more things crossed off the (long) list!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

I've been away a lot and after the first frenzy of major rebuilding, this build is turning into a bit of a slog through all the details (none of which are satisfactory from the kit). Undercarriage and cockpit cnopy next! And my 20-year-old bottle of future (actually bought for the kitchen floor in my old house) has finally gone a bit strange on me, so I need to get some more.

Regards,

Adrian

Hello All,

Just a teeny-tiny update. Exhausts and vents today:

a1e5d8ea.jpg

Exhausts are made from stretched 1/8" plastic tube. They need a bit of work when they are dry but not much. I had tried making them out of brass tube (squashed slightly to the right section), which looked great but was too hard to work with. The vents are plastic card sandwiches, carved appropriately. Two more things crossed off the (long) list!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

....I have that kit...AND those drawings too. The kit is 100% correct - it is the drawings that are wrong!

Kidding

OK...going now...

Steve