Westland Lynx versions (Army)

Lynx7

Hi,

I would like to ask you experts a few questions regarding my upcomiong project.
I am going to build Airfix 1/48 Lynx AH7 converted to AH1 GT version in XZ221/J livery.
I would like to have it in a Gulf War configuration and here I have some unclarities:

1. Pilot seats - I would expect armored seats. Correct?
  2. Cabin colors - were the colors the same as described by Lynx7 earlier in this thread?
    Color of armored seats?
  3. Cabin configuration - how many seats were installed? Any special items?

Thanks a lot in advance for any information

Regards

Alexandr

• Like 1

1. Yes

2. Same as. Armoured seats - black

3. If TOW fitted, probably no rear seats fitted (rear 3 man would still be fitted though)

Thanks a lot Lynx7

Now I just need the decal sheet from Xtradecal :).

Hope Hannants will have them reprinted soon.

Rgds

Alexandr

Damn SasaU, you stole my idea !!! :weep: I am planning to do the same, and re-draw/scale up decals from 1:72 Modeldecal set.

And I was going to ask the exact questions. And Tony came to the rescue !!

So BIG BIG thanks !! I am in the process of updating my page regarding "how to build the proper Gulf war army/navy Lynx in all scales" - will post the page ASAP.

Jakub

Damn SasaU, you stole my idea !!! :weep: I am planning to do the same, and re-draw/scale up decals from 1:72 Modeldecal set.

And I was going to ask the exact questions. And Tony came to the rescue !!

So BIG BIG thanks !! I am in the process of updating my page regarding "how to build the proper Gulf war army/navy Lynx in all scales" - will post the page ASAP.

Jakub

Hi Jakub,

sound very interesting for me. I have already started working on my build just not yet posted images.

I hope the only major work is the main rotor blades which I did last weekend together with a new bigger tailplane.

Did I missed something else?

Looking forward to your site update.

Thanks a lot

Rgds

S.

I'm new to the modelling scene - but not Lynx :-)

Can I ask why XZ221 is incorrectly identified on several sites as an AH1 (or "GT") in Granby colours - when it was an AH7 by then?

You'd best ask the internet as opposed to here but I can clarify to a certain degree.

We see 221 here as a pukka AH1;

Middle Wallop 82

8550069324_2574e639f3_z.jpg

In Gulf guise (my mate predominantly flew her on Granby)

xz221_3.jpg

And finally as an AH7. I know its an AH7 cos I was flying it in this photo....

4666934617_3afcd59a93_b.jpg

Thanks Lynx7 - as I mentioned in my PM, I think the table in the first post is a little misleading by listing Mk7 as only having CMRB. I asked the question here because it's only the modelling fraternity that incorrectly identify it (and trembling 2) as an AH1"GT" in 1990.

The Mk7 programme grew from the 205GTI upgrade programme (reverse direction TR, 3 pinion MRGB with oil cooler and uprated engines) and became a package of mods carried out by Fleetlands between the late 80s and the mid/late 90s (apart from a couple of storage aircraft that weren't converted until around 2000). That list changed over the years (eg CMRB with cropped tailplane were introduced around 92 and became part of all subsequent Mk7 conversions) but essentially the core mods were the same RD TR, MRGB and engines (plus SBU).

4 Regt were loaned various aircraft for Granby - the vast majority of which were mk7, I don't believe they took any AH1 but some of the historic WRAM records are a little lacking :-)

Edited by exreme

• 1 month later...

Hey Jens,

Where'd you get this phot? That's my Det, we took over the Danish hangar when your chaps went home, were you there then?

Cheers now.

Hi Billy,

For some odd reason I have not seen your reply until now. :weep:

I shot that picture myself. I was there, and I was part of the closure party too. In fact, I helped raising the hangar too, so I was down there twice that year.

I have some pictures of some of your guys test fitting the Lynx into the hangar. :thumbsup:

Did we meet down there you think?

Jens

• 3 months later...

Hi all

I had planned to do a photo raid and simply disappear as I am just about to start an AH7 for FSX and was simply after info to help me out.

After reading the thread I decided to join up as I was intrigued, no horrified by post number 8, How anyone can even attempt to lift off in Acc drive is beyond me, I have done plenty of Main Drive starts but never tried an Acc drive flight. I never flew 221 to my knowledge but 222 and 220 I certainly did, back when they were Mk1's. Recently found out 220 is gathering dust in some lockup, makes an old man cry as she was without doubt the best lynx I ever flew.

Having seen some of the models on offer here I feel any kit bashing I did would end up just like that, a kit well and truely bashed. My passion at the moment is full size homebuilt sim's. I got bored with the 737 I built so I am now building an A10, guess its the Hellarm in me. As I said, I plan to make an FSX Lynx and if I can get it to fly accurate enough I'll have another go at a full size lynx sim. First one worked fine but FSX and heli's don't seem to mix well.

I noted with interest the Wildcat, seems Westland are trying some sort of stealth with angled tail cone etc. don't need a radar to track a lynx, MK1 ear is plenty good enough as a Lynx can be heard miles and miles away

Thanks to Lynx7 for the photo's and info, and a sleepless night :shutup:,, afcs out is acceptable but Acc Drive, scarey

Steve

• 6 months later...

Hi! I´m checking the instructions for this helicopter and have some questions for the experts.
1.- in steps 67 and 68 what are those parts tha go in the skies?
2.- is there any AM replacement parts for the parts in step 74 and 75, have anyone try to improve them?

Thanks for the info 70.gif

Byron

What are this?

lynx%2020.JPG

any aftermarket for this screens?

rm7%2024.jpg

Edited by Ruffus

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi All,

I am looking for more details (I dream of a drawing ! :banghead: ) to be able to scratch-build the fast-rope device and above all the pintle-mounted 7.62mm machine-gun in order to detail my latest X-mas gift...The Accurate Armour AH-7 !

Cheers,

Winston :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am looking for more details (I dream of a drawing ! :banghead: ) to be able to scratch-build the fast-rope device and above all the pintle-mounted 7.62mm machine-gun in order to detail my latest X-mas gift...The Accurate Armour AH-7 !

Cheers,

Winston :thumbsup:

Can't help with drawings, but there are pictures of these in our walkaround: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234915893-westland-lynx-armymarines-versions/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi Sprtt,

I don't believe that the AAC Lynx AH.7 had the capability to fold the main rotor blades only the Navy Lynx . I certainly never came across one with rotor blades folded. Hope that helps.

Mk7 can be folded as easily as any navy Lynx, the Main rotor head is exactly the same, the army don't need to fold rotors unless they are embarked onboard ship which they didn't usually do, however 847 NAS did quite a lot as they were a royal marine unit. Oh and it takes about 5 mins for a navy crew to spread/ fold a Lynx whereas an army crew would be much longer as they very rarely get the chance.

Edited by sticky847

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hiya,

I'm making a Qatar Police Lynx HC.28 from the 1/48 Airfix Lynx AH.7. I am using the Rotorcraft AH.1 conversion set and managed to source a Navy Lynx canopy. Apart from these easy conversion fixes, I am wondering if anyone is able to provide some insights on the intake section.

I read (somewhere) that the Qatari Lynxes were fitted with uprated engines and sand filters.

Would I be right in using the intake sand filter units from the Airfix kit, in conjunction with the standard (non-IR suppressing) exhausts?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Edited by Blimpyboy

• 2 months later...

Pictures of the 9's undercart,

901.JPG

902.JPG

903.JPG

904.JPG

905.JPG

906.JPG

907.JPG

908.JPG

909.JPG

910.JPG

911.JPG

912.JPG

913.JPG

914.JPG

915.JPG

916.JPG

917.JPG

918.JPG

919.JPG

920.JPG

921.JPG

922.JPG

923.JPG

924.JPG

For info and for @stevehnz I took the following dimensions (they are approx)

Tyre Dia 62cm, width 19cms

Width of under cart to outside of wheels 3m

The long dark green strut is 92cms between centres and has a dia of 80mm

The smaller light green tubes are dia 70mm 

The tube with the footstep on is 88cms between centres

The tubes which come from inside the fairings are about 80cms protruding out.