Westland Lynx versions (Navy)

Lynx7

if you are doing a 702nas mk3 with door numbers from 630 to 635 they are dual control a/c as that is howthey are directed to be numbered, if we change an a/c from radar to dual control we also change the door numbers. the mk3 ice cabs were radar a/c but the fit in the back varied due to role/sortie fit,zd250/635 black cats display was also a dual control a/c,btw i work on 702 nas.

• Like 1

I think I am right in saying that the Revell German Mk 88 kit has the inflatable seat in it and it's not used (see here; http://www.themodellingnews.com/2013/01/the-big-cat-from-revell-gets-thorough.html - scroll down to Sprues not shown/required for this kit - the one on the right looks like an inflatable seat?)

See if you can find someone with that sprue (actually those sprues - there are two of them) going spare; anyone who builds it with the sonar in won't have used it.

Indeed!! I have the Teutonic Luchs Mk.88 ;) and sprues "K" do indeed hold parts for the inflatable seats! Just checked today, it never occurred to me that the other boxing might contain parts that are that relevant for this boxing! Brilliant tip, cheers!

if you are doing a 702nas mk3 with door numbers from 630 to 635 they are dual control a/c as that is howthey are directed to be numbered, if we change an a/c from radar to dual control we also change the door numbers. the mk3 ice cabs were radar a/c but the fit in the back varied due to role/sortie fit,zd250/635 black cats display was also a dual control a/c,btw i work on 702 nas.

Thanks Sticky! Very useful info! I'm leaning very much to doing ZD250 now. I would prefer a "bland" Lynx, though. I'll have to search for my photos of the Lynx that was at Telford in 2012, I have no idea if that was a Lynx from your sqn and if it was a dual or not. I made enough pics of it however, so I'll see! Thanks for your info!!

Cheers,

Erik.

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

Just gathering some references to combine the Revell 1/32 HAS3 and Mk88 into a HAS8 (if that's the correct terms?) and what I wasn't aware of (and makes perfect sense) is the removal of the controls for the observer (left seat?) and what does this look like? as in are the cyclic and collective removed but the control boots remain? Also are there any pictures of the hoists stowed and deployed? and one last one, does anyone have pictures of the avionics bays in the nose?

Thanks in advance for any help

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

For the cyclic on the observers side, the stick part is completely removed from it's socket, and a flat panel is put in place of the rubber boot panel.

36016018732_5814fba8ef_c.jpg

For the collective lever, again the lever part is removed from its socket along with the rubber boot and a small panel covers of the gap that's left in the cover, sorry don't have a photo of that.

Hoist deployed and in use.

35347167714_bdf71af894_c.jpg

Hoist stowed

35379080983_4395cd4b00_c.jpg

Hope they help.

Red

Edited by RedBarron

NavDoc in post #143, I don't think your question has been answered. An easy Lynx kit to build is any of the Hobby-Boss kits. HAS 3 and later variants. The Airifx kit although the more accurate(?) needs a fair amount of work to make it look decent. Pavla do some internal resin parts if your that way inclined.

Best kit of all is the Airifx 48th kit. There isa lot of Pinned info from our tame Lynx jockey 'Lynx7' plus there is the Lynx STGB build from early last year you could have a look at.

Colin

Hi all,

Just gathering some references to combine the Revell 1/32 HAS3 and Mk88 into a HAS8 (if that's the correct terms?) and what I wasn't aware of (and makes perfect sense) is the removal of the controls for the observer (left seat?) and what does this look like? as in are the cyclic and collective removed but the control boots remain? Also are there any pictures of the hoists stowed and deployed? and one last one, does anyone have pictures of the avionics bays in the nose?

Thanks in advance for any help

Andy

If you look in the BM walk rounds section under the Lynx, there are some pretty clear photos of an early Lynx (could even be the HAS2 prototype) cockpit, including shots looking down the side of the Observer's seat (I.e. where the collective would be if fitted)

Thanks All,

I started the build on the weekend, the reveal kits go together really well, and easy enough to figure out the bits from each kit to build the HMA8. The only thing missing is the chaff/flare buckets (I assume thats what they are) near the main landing gear. I appreciate all the help, has anyone heard from Lynx7? I read in his build he had some chord to make up a fast rope, something I would like to buy from him, but haven't heard from him.

thanks again

Andy

Tony, Lynx7 has been abcent for a few months, even the odd email hasn't stirred him. Maybe the Wildcats are geting on top of the team???

He's usually at the Salisbury Show, which was this last weekend. I for one am missing his in input to the site.

Colin

Edited by heloman1

• 2 months later...

Question on the Norwegian Lynx Mk 86, if I may. I'm assuming that the Rotorcraft or Belcher Bits HAS Mk2/3 conversion kits (both of which I have) will address the majority of modifications necessary to 'convert' the Airfix HMA.8 kit into a RNoAF Mk.86 ?..but I'm also assuming that I will need a fixed tailboom from the Airfix AH.7 Army Lynx kit to address that particular peculiarity with the Norwegian machine ?.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is the additional sprue included in the Airfix Mk.88 kit. It includes a dual control floor pan, non-folding tail boom, a non-PIDS nose top, an alternative PIDS and a host of non-RN aerials etc.

This sprue is not included in the RN HMA.8 gift box.

DSC_2357_zpskywupyu2.jpg

Hope this provides some clarification.

Happy modelling.

🐜

• 7 months later...

It was around 1992/1993 that the BERP blades were being introduced into the Lynx naval squadrons stationed at RNAS Portland. During that time there were 3 naval squadrons operating the Lynx. 815, 702 and 829 squadrons. 829 were transitioning from the Wasp and was eventually dispersed into the 2 original squadrons which had moved from RNAs Yeovilton in 1982. I was privileged to have worked on these beasts during that time.

• 2 months later...

I do like the disruptive camo on the Wildcats...

K

Me too, it's bloody good too! I was standing at the fence of Westland's runway and I'd watched a Wildcat take off, then I concentrated on two Merlin's on the ramp, I could hear the Wildcat in the background but I couldn't see it, it took an age to spot it against the background, when I did "find" it I could track it quite well it was just that initial acquisition that was tricky. I must say I like the Navy Lynx a lot, but the Wildcat is a fantastic looking aircraft.

SG106478_zpsm1dy9bex.jpg

Wildcat_zpsvciao7kx.jpg

John

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Here's a few shots I got of a German Mk.88A with a FLIR nose last month. Hopefully, they will be of some use in this thread:

IMG_8754_zpsxttbqtqv.jpg

IMG_8755_zpsqizysrz4.jpg

I also took this shot along the tail and couldn't help but notice how many re-enforcing plates are on it:

IMG_8756_zpsqs67qckw.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the serial number of the Royal Navy Lynx involved in the recent (last day or two) Cocaine-Go-Fast intercept in the Caribbean? Without compromising operational security considerations, of course. It might make for an interesting model. Not too many helicopters are involved in such sizeable drug busts.

BM.  

3 hours ago, Blue Monday said:

Does anyone know the serial number of the Royal Navy Lynx involved in the recent (last day or two) Cocaine-Go-Fast intercept in the Caribbean? Without compromising operational security considerations, of course. It might make for an interesting model. Not too many helicopters are involved in such sizeable drug busts.

BM.  

It would be a Wildcat as all the Lynx are Out of service I beleive

Duff gen, it seems 815 is a joint Lynx/Wildcat unit at present

Edited by Dave Fleming

• 2 months later...
  • Julien unpinned this topic