RED tanks on the A417

AndyC

I was driving back from a client's offices this afternoon on the A417, South toward Swindon and coming in the other direction were 4 British Army tank transporters, each with a tank on the back. Nothing abnormal except these were bright (as in Post Office) red - definitely not primer Red. Not being an Armour guy even I did a double take on these.

They didn't (to my amateur eye) look like ultra-modern tanks (ie Challenger) and only one appeared to still have a gun barrel.

Anybody any clue what they were and where they might have been going? Heading North toward the M5? Possible target range fodder?

My guess is they're off to be range targets somewhere. I know from seeing them on Salisbury plain the paint them red or yellow.

My guess is they're off to be range targets somewhere. I know from seeing them on Salisbury plain the paint them red or yellow.
Range safety vehicles at BATUS in Canada are Red, might be the same here?

Looks like the consensus is targets! I've been up that way twice since but not seen anything else.

Sounds like some "Red top" BATUS saftey vehicles to me. I dont think CR2 and warrior a ready to be hard targets juts yet!