Airfix Defiant

Great stuff Nobs, she's a fantastic model, but I echo the call for bigger pics to see this little masterpiece a bit better - just cos it's 1/72nd doesn't mean you have to torture us with ickle piccies...!!

Thanks for the brilliant build thread too, really enjoyed it & picked up more tips than I would have in a couple of hundred quids worth of ''modelling magazines''....!!

Keef

Great aircraft , great modeller, iam attempting to have a go at scratch building my self after watching your build keep the great work comming regards david or viper108

Sometime around 50 years or so ago I paid 2/6d for this kit. I left it unpainted except for the exhaust which I couldn't get to look like an exhaust should and, by the standards of the time, was otherwise reasonably satisfied with the result ,a result which today would probably be deemed poor - which leads me to my only crit of an otherwise brilliant piece of work by Nobby:

In the photos the exhausts seem to have a pinkish caste and to be reflecting too much light - or is that a problem of the camera used and the flash?

I've loved the trip again Nobby, learnt loads and seen some clever solutions, ta for that !

You should be well chuffed, treat yourself to a hot crumpet !!

Si.

Having followed the WIP from beginning to end, I have nothing but admiration for your astonishing skill, patience and persistence Nobby. Take a bow, it's superb and totally unrecognisable from the kit!

You asked for better pics, well I've done it! The reason for the tidie pics was that I tried to reduce the file size for uploading as I have to do everything through the phone. I have rather limited amounts of data to play around with! But you wanted bigger so you now have bigger pics! How good am I to you all! I just hope they arnt too big now!!!

Nope, still small(ish)

Maybe because flickr is forcing you to use thumbnails and since your account is private we can't see the full size images when we follow the links.

Thanks for the effort anyway.

Edited by airhead

Well thanks everybody for the enthusiastic feedback from you all! :sorry: about the pics but I did try! :(

I thought that the new pics would sort it but, as Airhead has pointed out, its probably the flker acount I have that's reducing the pics.

I do hope though its not disapointed you all too much and going by the feedback here its been a worthwile exercise! It's nice to know that there are people out there that are inspired to have a bash with kits that most people would consider non starters especially the newer modellers. I have to admit, when I opened the box I thought what have I let my self in for and its worse than I remember it! I suppose you could say that its been "extreme" modelling! One thing its proved to me though is that all the models I have in the stash are now viable!

Once more, thank you all! Now, do I start the Javelin, or do I go for somthing nice and easy like one of my Tamiya kits? :whistle:

Well thanks everybody for the enthusiastic feedback from you all! :sorry: about the pics but I did try! :(

I thought that the new pics would sort it but, as Airhead has pointed out, its probably the flker acount I have that's reducing the pics.

I do hope though its not disapointed you all too much and going by the feedback here its been a worthwile exercise! It's nice to know that there are people out there that are inspired to have a bash with kits that most people would consider non starters especially the newer modellers. I have to admit, when I opened the box I thought what have I let my self in for and its worse than I remember it! I suppose you could say that its been "extreme" modelling! One thing its proved to me though is that all the models I have in the stash are now viable!

Once more, thank you all! Now, do I start the Javelin, or do I go for somthing nice and easy like one of my Tamiya kits? :whistle:

Hi Nobby,

I've followed this one with great interest from start to finish....a true masterclass.

I can't wait for the next one.

Like?

Yes Nobby, at last the true measure of your work can be seen

The new pictures give us all, including those who didn't come on your Airfix-defying journey with you an insight to "wot you do!"

Again brilliant modelling all the way

ta

b

Hi Nobby,

After all the previous comments, what is there left to add??. I've watched this project from the beginning, and can only say, it's been a brilliant example of ingenuity and craftsmanship. To end up with something anywhere near as good as this would be hugely satisfying. I thank you for the journey (and the bigger pictures! ;) ), and will be keeping a close eye on any other projects that you undertake, in the hope that they will be as interesting as this one - Cheers.

Tony R

Nobs - thats a fantastic piece of work mate. The photos fail to do it any justice - what's going on under the skin is what really makes it a masterpiece. Thanks for sharing that with us. I really enjoyed watching it come together.

• 3 weeks later...

Just went to my local Hobbycraft in Woking and they giving away Airfix Defiants for free !!

They were flogging them for 2.99 but when you get to the till they say they have been wiped from their system so people can have them for nothing !!!

• 9 months later...
  • 4 years later...

As an interesting aside to this brilliant build I have been toying with scratch building a Beaverette Armoured Car with the Boulton and Paul Turret (I had a spare one in my parts bin).

However after scaling up some drawings found on the net I found the turret didn't match up.

Following the WIP of this aircraft has solved my dilemma, the turret was from the OLD Airfix Kit and too small !:yikes:

It has also given me the craving to super detail my creation.

Nice one Nobby

Robomog :cat: